IGNORED

Worst Box Art?

BillyHW

I started another thread on best box art, so I thought I'd start one on worst box art too?

I'll just start it off by saying that I absolutely *hate* it when console companies standardize the "look" of their system's games box art, like Sega Master System for instance with the grid background. I realize that they are trying to differentiate their games' look from the competition, so people know what they are buying, but it just doesn't work artistically. Seriously, people aren't stupid and will buy the right game for their system or return it.

(Though, I'll say that the early NES titles, with their stylized blocky in-game graphics actually had a certain charm to them, for the first little while. But I'm glad they changed direction early on.)

The best boxes were on the later NES because: A. They were the right size. B. They were the right shape (vertical boxes). C. Except for the small Nintendo Seal of "Quality" (har har), the art wasn't ruined by logos or standardized looks.

It was a really dumb move on the part of Nintendo to go with horizontal boxes for SNES and the standardized look.

Now, would you rather play this:

Dragon_Warrior.jpg

or this?

Phantasy_Star_box.jpg

Phantasy Star was by far the better game, but you wouldn't know if by looking at the box. I'm sure this played a part in Nintendo beating Sega out in the 8-bit generation.

• Like 1

It's almost too easy to pick on Sega Master System boxes in a thread about bad box art. I think they were all bad.

And don't anyone dare bring up the SNES Phalanx box, either. I don't care what anybody says, that old guy is awesome!

I'm sorry, the Phalanx old guy might be cool, but I had to look up the game to find out what it really was about, the box art gave pretty much no clues, and thats never good.

And I'm also going to pick on the Master System, what kind of crap is this?

feature-908-image2.jpg

Take the title away and what is it? The Exploding Foot Game?

• Like 1

It's almost too easy to pick on Sega Master System boxes in a thread about bad box art. I think they were all bad.

And don't anyone dare bring up the SNES Phalanx box, either. I don't care what anybody says, that old guy is awesome!

588567_40333_front.jpg

I just bought that game a few months ago because of the box art. I was hoping it was some sort of bluegrass appalachian roleplaying adventure.

I just bought that game a few months ago because of the box art. I was hoping it was some sort of bluegrass appalachian roleplaying adventure.

That works now when it can be found in a bargin bin for a few bucks, but as a kid who might get to pick one game at $50 a pop, banjoing old guy rarely gets the purchase.

That works now when it can be found in a bargin bin for a few bucks, but as a kid who might get to pick one game at $50 a pop, banjoing old guy rarely gets the purchase.

A game with a banjo would be epic. Who needs all that jazz about dragons and elves and dungeons and stuff. Bring on the bluegrass!

• Like 2

588567_40333_front.jpg

Maybe they were originally working on a "Deliverance" or "Dukes of Hazzard" game, developed the box art first, but then the project changed to a space shooter. For budget reasons they just kept the original box art.

Anyway, here's another terrible SMS box.

Sms_pro_wrestling_box.jpg

• Like 1

588567_40333_front.jpg

What does the Old dude witht he banjo have to do with a shmup?