IGNORED

Phear

atari2600land

50,000+ polygons per second at 65, 000 colors, thats awesome for the Jaguar. Fight for Life was said to be the game displaying the most polies for the Jag at around 40,000, right?

I never heard of the FFl stats, as for the Phear stats, though interesting I figured they were pulling them out of their ass.

• Like 1

Regarding those Jaguar stats, did'nt they make changes to the engine on the N64 version, so only part of the sphere is visible at any time, thus reducing the strain on the N64 hardware?

As for interviews...i might make an attempt to track them down, but totalled up the amount of interviews/general questions i have 'out' to various folks from within the industry at present, i'm still awaiting to hear back from, with answers to questions put and think i really need to pause before tracking anyone else down for a bit.

There's interviews sent to ST Gamer Vol 2 (x3), several going to various Retro Console/Computer magazines (Digital+Physical) already, before anyone else comes in and it's just the vast amount of time required to 'process' all this stuff.

Works being a fecking mare as is.

Update:Whilst i did get a response from someone i approached for possible interview many weeks ago (questions now sent) who i'd thought was a dead-end and i've had another interview come 'in'...so far not a god damn thing from either Phear developer i approached, so kinda as expected..cannot see me personally getting a 'return' from either on this one.

I tried at least.

Define tried. ;-)

I remember back when I was really hell-bent on Jaguar stuff, I went as far as to send actual snailmail (most effective), fax and in some rare cases (concercning a possible prototype) a certified letter to catch someone's attention. The only thing I've come short of doing is showing up in person, which I almost did at ICD. I'm guessing that could be considered harrassment in every case these days lol so I highly advise against it haha... especially over just an interview. E-mail is really unreliable though - you never know if the person uses or even checks the account and in most cases, e-mail doesn't come across as very serious. It's just as easy to hit the spam folder or could easily be overlooked as well, shooting endless e-mails into a black hole.

Update:Whilst i did get a response from someone i approached for possible interview many weeks ago (questions now sent) who i'd thought was a dead-end and i've had another interview come 'in'...so far not a god damn thing from either Phear developer i approached, so kinda as expected..cannot see me personally getting a 'return' from either on this one.

I tried at least.

Edited by Clint Thompson

• 4 months later...

Never did make contact with coders, but did find following from Alexey Pajitnov, talking about Tetrisphere:

'This was an awful game by Nintendo (laughs)...it was complicated.But i really enjoyed working on it.It's a really, really hardcore game.The team i worked with was very hardcore and wanted to make a really difficult game, so they did.Nobody could really realise how to play this game.It was a kind of catastrophe'.

Seems around that time there was a desire to make "difficult games" as in challenging. The tag was to make a game that was more challenging than (other game here). With:

1) Intense gameplay

2) Larger levels

3) Mind blowing challenges.

It is funny to hear the developers of Bubsy Fractured Furry Tales and how didn't realize they were making a game that was too difficult for people to get into quickly. They weren't the only ones. Other games of the era suffered the same thing.

Since then developers seem to have learned (especially with phone games) to make a game addictive, give the gamer enough to get invested and addicted, and gradually hit them with more and more increasing difficulty. At some point the gamers start BUYING things to continue the notion that they are good at the game though the game might be crazy difficult at that point.

But back in the day "Crazy difficult" seemed to happen a lot earlier on.

• Like 1

Well pre-Jaguar era there were a lot of complaints of MD games in particular being far too easy-something i sadly experienced 1st hand after buying The Terminator on MD cart and finishing it on my very 1st go.Gutted :-(.

So can see why there was a desire as it were to make games more challenging.The other aspect is i guess if your continually 'playtesting' the game, ie working on it day in/day out, you get overly familar to whats expected of the player and after a while i guess you could end up being blinkered into thinking game was far too easy, so you added more and more features, yet forgot how confusing it might appear to a 1st time player.

I hate getting really into a game then BAM! difficulty spike or frustrating boss fight, which basically means, that's it, Game Over, not bothering with this sh*t anymore...

Latest 2 (on PS3) that i've hit walls with were catherine and Killer Is dead.The Latters flawed Level 4 button mashing wanker of a boss, just f**ked me right off, others would inc Remember Me PS3

• 1 year later...

I tried at least.

I spoke with someone recently and he took the time to actually look but couldn't find any of it. Nintendo did respond but it certainly wasn't favorable - almost rude actually but then again, maybe I'm being the rude one by inquiring, and talking to anyone that has any real access to any of that stuff is nearly impossible.

I spoke with someone recently and he took the time to actually look but couldn't find any of it. Nintendo did respond but it certainly wasn't favorable - almost rude actually but then again, maybe I'm being the rude one by inquiring, and talking to anyone that has any real access to any of that stuff is nearly impossible.

Dammit...I get excited every time I see a new post in this thread. I would do unspeakable things for a copy of Phear.

• Like 3

Im happy with the end result of Phear. Tetrisphere is one of the best N64 games available for the console. This is one we really don't need on the Jaguar. Even if it does surface one day I would probably just play it and be like "meh, its not Tetrisphere, Tetrisphere is better."

i know that, but it would be cool to rescue the OG version from the sands of time
  • Like 2

i know that, but it would be cool to rescue the OG version from the sands of time

I'm not even asking for a rom release of it because as stated, Tetrisphere is a well polished game. It would just be nice to have some really decent video footage of it direct-input and not video recorded from a camcorder from the 90s, though I would be ok with that at this point even. I thought Dave was going to let go of some of the Deathwatch stuff but he avoided the questions after last contact, probably just zero interest to bother with it. These people did it because it was their job and I fear nothing more.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...