IGNORED

Atari 16mb myide game collections

fernando marrin

First question:

What kind of MyIDE setup do you use? If you use 'only' the FLASH CART version (you do not have an MyIDE OS -ROM installed) you can not load all games.

If you have the Internal MyIDE with the FLASH BASED OS, make sure you use the newest MyIDE Firmware. (That one is really compatible!)

You will find premade 16 MB images of games in the post below. You should copy the entire image to a premade drive partition on MyIDE. Since the ones listed as premade for download have SIO high speed turned on and MyIDE is not using SIO, you need to down load the files used to makes the images listed there and then use the Batch file included to recompile the images without SIO high speed on. The non-high speed versions work on the Cart based MyIDE.

As already stated, you will likely find some games that won't work with MyIDE cartridge and may find some anyway that won't work depending on your setup. But in general most of them should work for you.

http://www.atariage....__fromsearch__1

You can use this tool in Windows to copy the images to partitions if you hook up the MyIDE drive to a Windows computer. Make sure you select the correct disk though to write too.

MyIDEDriveManagerLBA.zip

Edited by kheffington

i have atarimax's myide + flash cart with a trascend 512 mb flash drive , just upgraded to version 4.7

is installing the .atr files from image mode enough?

Not 100% sure what you are asking. But if by image mode do your mean like coping ATRs to the card? If that is what you are asking, then no it won't work as they are not ATRs but hard drive images.

You need to make 16 MB hard disk partitions on the Transcend Card. You can do that on the Atari itself. But you will need to copy the drive images to the Partition either using a PC or the Atari.

Easiest way to copy them is with MyIdeDriveManager with the card attached to the PC after partitioning the card first. Can also be done from and Atari but as you have sio2sd why not just use it?

Don't use the Highspeed in out ones for the MyIDE cart as it won't work correctly and will stutter. Recompile without HS.

lI'm not sure but don't think you can get 4 16mb partitions on that card, just 3 plus another around 15mb.

Edited by kheffington

made the partitions, then Do i

just use the menu driven image mode and copy?

how can i?, where are the low speed compatible ones?

i can't compile anythingon the pc ,since i don't have sio2pc

just sio2sd

You can recompile those images on a PC without SIO2PC. The games are in that post along with a Windows batch file to compile them. I will recompile them when I get a chance and give you the link to them.

You do not need SIO2PC for any of it.

You say you have SIO2SD, you can run the High Speed images from it simply by putting them into drive slots. Just copy them to the SIO2SD card. Just load them as disks on the SIO2SD and boot them. Load them in slot 1-4 and easy to switch between them with the MyPicoDos on the images. That is far more compatible than the MyIDE Cartridge.

The Transcend card you are using can be attached to an IDE port on a motherboard and MyIDEDriveManager can copy to it that way. The easiest way.Or you can use an Atari DOS capable of copying them and copy them to the partition images on the Transcend card from the SIO2SD. Doable but more difficult.

dir2atr not longer available?

seems page is down

You need to run the batch file from the directory that the folders and dir2atr are located in. Extract the zip file. Then go to that directory and run the compiler. You can just open the folder and double click the compiler to run and compile them. But you must unzip the folder before doing so.

The page is not down.

Edited by kheffington

DIR2ATR works just fine in Windows 7 64 bit. I just used that same compiler and dir2atr that you downloaded.

Again you MUST UNZIP the FOLDER after downloading it. You MUST BE INSIDE THAT FOLDER when using the compiler. I downloaded to make sure it was the same as I am using and it worked fine on Windows 7 64 bit.

It is as simply as unzipping the folder. Opening that folder and double clicking compiler. There is also a readme with it.

Anyway I gave you a link to the recompiled images in a post above with HS off.

copied your 4 modded disks with the duplicate disk option of mydos

on to the 4 16 mb -the 4th one a little less- partitions

but still most of the games try to load from sio, in fact if i conect sio2sd when they are booting, then they run ok

very few games work from myide

any particular settings on picodos to try?

thanks you so much~!

Edited by fernando marrin

I have no idea, maybe someone else can tell you. But if you copied the last one to a smaller partition than 16mb, I would expect you would have trouble with that partition.

Can only tell you that the partitions without HS SIO enabled worked fine for me on one of the Atari Max MyIDE carts. I no longer have the cart so I can't try them again. I used MyIdeDriveManager to copy the drives to the partitions on the card though and they weren't copied through an Atari DOS.

You will however, never get all of the games to work on that device as some of them overwrite the MyIDE rom loaded into ram from the cart or conflict with it.

Could be the partitions you made as well. Did you make them as below as from AtariMax Site.

To initialize your IDE device for the first time, select the INIT menu option using "n" on the keyboard and select "A"uto to allow FDISK to determine the correct parameters for your device.

If for some reason FDISK cannot identify the parameters for your device, you can use the "M"anual Init option to enter the Cylinders/Heads/Sectors for your device and continue with initialization.

Now we will create a hard disk partition to use as drive #1.

Press "M" to Make a new partition. For the purposes of this tutorial we will make it the maximum size of 16MB.

Enter "1" for the drive number, then enter "65535" for the number of sectors and "D"ouble for the density.

The on-screen menu should now show one partition of 65535 sectors in the right hand column.

Return to FDISK later to add more partitions or set other options.

We will now save the partition table to the IDE device and exit by selecting "E"xit from the menu and "S"ave when prompted.

At this point the MyIDE OS will attempt to restart, booting from IDE partition #1. Since there is no data on partition #1 yet, the computer will probably just stop with the MyIDE BIOS revision displayed at the top of the screen.

Edited by kheffington

Hey folks,

I have to idea you keep responding to another issue than topic starter has.

He has NO problem to copy the images to his MyIDE. (As far as I see it)

He has problem running most games AFTER he copied the 16MB partition to his MyIDE.

There are two reasons:

1. The images he is using are configured for SIO High Speed. This means that MyIDE can not 'use' these images without a little modification. High Sio Speed uses a custom SIO-Vector (the so called SIOV), since MyIDE runs over the SIOV too, this can not work. As soon as PICODOS enables High Speed Sio, the custom SIOV prevents myide from running.

2. You are using a FLASH based MyIDE. This one copies a custom MyIDE Operating System in a certain RAM portion located beneath the 'ROM' OS. This is the same technique as the Translator disks uses. It switches off the built-in ROM of your atari, and copies a custom OS on this RAM location. but now the problem: a lot of games do use this RAM too (and some tools/programs/dos too... like spartados). So that is your second problem.

But you mention Pacman. This is a rather simple, even OS b compatible game. This one SHOULD work on MyIDE Flash, so I guess your biggest problem is 1.

In that case you could try this:

As soon as the partition is booted. Press H to switch of high speed. Then press 1 to load the contents of D1: again. I hope this will work for you (I mean: I hope the High Speed Loader built in in PicoDos won't kill the MyIDE soft-OS).

If that fixes a lot for you, let me know. You should 'adapt' the available images to stay on normal SIO speed. That is possible, but let us first see if this do the trick for you.

One more thing:

I have written a 16MB copier months ago. If you have time (it takes a while) you could use that tool to copy from your Sio2SD to your MyIDE.

You write about the MyIDE image manager. Is that a feature of MyIDE? You should not copy a 16MB partition to a MyIDE IMAGE. Images are only meant for disks. a 16MB partition is NOT a disk. You really should create a real partition like kheffington describes above.

I'm wondering:

Are you already familiar with the use of partitions on MyIDE. Perhaps you should first try to create a bootable partition with MyDOS on it. If that works and you have the feeling it REALLY works like it should be, then your next move is: create a partition with games.

Good luck!

Marius

One more thing: I have written a 16MB copier months ago. If you have time (it takes a while) you could use that tool to copy from your Sio2SD to your MyIDE. You write about the MyIDE image manager. Is that a feature of MyIDE? You should not copy a 16MB partition to a MyIDE IMAGE. Images are only meant for disks. a 16MB partition is NOT a disk. You really should create a real partition like kheffington describes above. I'm wondering: Are you already familiar with the use of partitions on MyIDE. Perhaps you should first try to create a bootable partition with MyDOS on it. If that works and you have the feeling it REALLY works like it should be, then your next move is: create a partition with games. Good luck! Marius

please link me to the 16 mb copier,will try it

done bootable partitions modiifed for picodos, done mydos bootable ones,

copied atr files and some seem to work some not

the same problem when copying entire disks,

had to upgrade to mybios 4.7.0.1 because it was supposed to fix timing issues,

they are still there

when in myide menu , i have troubles with the init command,

have to force manual data with control to get it to work

contacted mr atari and he 's not even aware all the 16 mb atr files floating around,

has any of you tried booting these games with this exact product?

AtariMax "MyIDE + Flash Cartridge" with Transcend 512 mb flash ide cart ?

i'm starting to suspect of the flash memory ram issue

Edited by fernando marrin

I am not at home right now, so I can not link you to the copier. Will do soon.

One thing:

If the init not works... try another CF card. Nothing will work right then.

I have the same cart as you have. It works great. There is a chance that that there is a 74F245 on the PCB. You'd better replace that one with a LS245 or HC245 or HCT245.

But first: try another CF card.

As soon as the auto-config doesn't work: forget it.

will an ide to compact flash + kingston CF card be compatible??

it's not that easy to find those transcend ide flash cards here

pd:

will try with your program before giving up

because mr atari pointed mydos duplicate disk command may not work

can't wait

Check the forums on AtariMax there is a thread there that have Compact Flash cards that others have had success with when using an IDE to Compact flash adapter.

My experience was that a lot of compact flash cards weren't usable just a few. See if the Kingston one is listed as working in that thread.

will an ide to compact flash + kingston CF card be compatible??

it's not that easy to find those transcend ide flash cards here

pd:

will try with your program before giving up

because mr atari pointed mydos duplicate disk command may not work

can't wait

Check the forums on AtariMax there is a thread there that have Compact Flash cards that others have had success with when using an IDE to Compact flash adapter.

My experience was that a lot of compact flash cards weren't usable just a few. See if the Kingston one is listed as working in that thread.

do you know where can i download de 16 mb copier to try first?