IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 5 Round 2 Dig Dug

zylon

I beginning to think we should be playing with original equpiment only.

I would like to be able to do this, but I would have to sit out most of the season. My 5200 collection is still rather small, so I need to use emulators for games I don't have.

I'm in this boat, too. I always prefer to play on original hardware - that's half the fun - but if I don't have the game I'll play on an emulator because it's my only choice and I'd rather participate than not. Case in point: Dig Dug. :)

zylon and myself seems to be pretty humble in our scores, since our Knockout final and semi-final...

game selection is key sometimes, I think... :D

Haven't been able to figure Dig Dug out, even with practice... 3 underground creatures come at me at once,

I blow half-way into all 3 (to buy more time)... yet 1 comes back to size and kills me!!

I don't know how you guys get over 100-200ks!

I haven't had a chance to play this 5200 version for this hsc yet, but I do know general Dig Dug strategies:

1. Start the level by quickly killing as many enemies that are easy pickins', and getting to a safe spot. Don't let them group and surround and get you.

2. learn how to dig under a boulder and sit there forcing the enemies to approach you from 1 side (if in ghost form) or from below if solid, dropping the boulder on them all. Big points + clears the board of those enemies quickly.

3. To pump fast, keep moving foward as you pump. Don't stand still and pump ever - its too slow. Moving forward as you pump ensures that you'll hit a 2nd enemy who is travelling thru the enemy you are pumping up. If you don't break the pump line by moving a little, the enemy won't get hit by the pump and travel thru and get you.

4. Once you get to big point vegetables, that is you main goal -drop 2 boulders and get the veggie. Don't worry about killing Fygars from the left/right (to earn 2x points for them) and don't worry about trying to kill enemies lower on-screen (they are worth more the lower you are) - don't worry about that once it gets past like 5 levels or so. Just kill the enemies, survive, and use the veggies as your big points. When your skill improves, then you can try to squeeze every single point out of a level.

Edited by Cafeman
  • Like 1

Solid tips! That's really the key strategies there. I'd only add the following...

Don't wait directly under the rock, but instead just a bit further below it. That way, you have some room to move if necessary (if directly under it, the rock will drop right on you if you so much as twitch!) Also, you can then use your pump to hold enemies in place, making it easier to get two or three of them with the rock.

Here's another tip... don't leave the game paused and go have your dinner as it returns to the demo mode :mad: luckily I took a photo before hand...

I think I've got the hang of this game now :grin:

DD doesn't seem to get any harder after a while and repeats screens, the main downside is it continues to dish out extra men which is every two levels or so if you eat a lot of pineapple... a lot of games seem to have this 'flaw', I guess programmers never expected anyone to get so far... the A8 DropZone is nice as at 1m pts it stops with the extra men and bombs :)

post-19705-0-90733400-1330720121.jpg

• Like 1

WOW! Awesome score RealBountyBob!! :thumbsup:

Thanks :) took me a lot of goes and we had played it recently in the A8 HSC*, thought I hadn't worked out a good fruit grabbing strategy until now... maybe being a PAL player makes this easier... (this is a game that would play better being a bit faster on PAL)... *goochman's record 553,700

I think I've got the hang of this game now :grin:

I'd say you've got the knack of it!! Excellent score trbb. I don't think I'll be able to top that one...but you never know...:ponder:

post-21471-0-44481700-1330866573_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tips Cafeman / sdamon.... just what I needed. Prior to your tips my old strategy was only able to get me 150k with most scores in the 75-100k range. So I started using the tips along with a fruit grabbing strategy and quit at 5 million.

post-30275-0-33751700-1330900992_thumb.jpg

before the level counter reset

post-30275-0-29374400-1330901299_thumb.jpg

weird fruit

post-30275-0-18302600-1330901523_thumb.jpg

• Like 1