IGNORED

Dead TT showing just white screen after using it with SATAN interface

Joakim N

I got my dream computer the other week, an Atari TT only to kill it tonight with an SATAN interface. :( It booted nicely and I was able to run software from it. But then, all of a sudden, I got bombs and the TT hung. I tried resetting, and got a black screen. Then I removed the SATAN and turned it on again. To my great great horror all I got was a blank screen, not even memory test.

I noticed when using it with my STE it was a bit unstable, hanging from time to time, and i had to remove power to the SATAN and turn the STE off in order to get it back working. This haven't helped with the TT though - it's quite dead. *cry* *cry* *cry*

I've got a flicker of bombs once or twice, but nothing more. It doesnt even try to start the floppy drive. This is an early TT with most IC's in sockets, so shouldn't be too hard to fix it - if I can find the faulty IC. My guess that it has to be one htat handles the ASCI port. From what I have gathered from a quick Google and reading a service manual for the TT its the same part of the system that handles floppy and ASCI.

I turn to you to get any ideas of what can be wrong with it and if it's possible to fix it. I just had it for two weeks. *whimper* Otherwise I might have a broken TT for sale for parts. *sigh* and have to wait another 20 years for a new one to show up.

and again - DO NOT USE A SATAN DISK WITH A TT!

Edited by Joakim N

I noticed when using it with my STE it was a bit unstable, hanging from time to time, and i had to remove power to the SATAN and turn the STE off in order to get it back working.

if it was unstable before, this may be a problem with the Satan unit and not with every Satan.

BTW, what kind of unit is it? Super Satan or Ultrasatan ??

Guillaume.

if it was unstable before, this may be a problem with the Satan unit and not with every Satan.

BTW, what kind of unit is it? Super Satan or Ultrasatan ??

Guillaume.

Its the Super-Satan. I ordered two units at the same time, one for a friend as well, and both showed similar behaviour. The STE has survived though, so I guess the TT has more sensitive circuits. I still feel comfortable with using it with the STE though.

Anyway, I need to find a solution for my dead TT now though. Am so angry at myself now for killing it.

Its the Super-Satan. I ordered two units at the same time, one for a friend as well, and both showed similar behaviour. The STE has survived though, so I guess the TT has more sensitive circuits. I still feel comfortable with using it with the STE though.

Anyway, I need to find a solution for my dead TT now though. Am so angry at myself now for killing it.

I had once a SuperSatan and it worked well with the STE, not instable.

Guillaume.

Any chance this it just coincidence? I've never heard one report before this of a Satan or Ultrasatan

killing any model of Atari computer.

Perhaps your TT was just about to die anyway?

Just a thought...

Don't know. Could be a flaky power supply for the Satan, or a badly built one. It's not an original Super-SATAN from -what-his-name-, I bought this one on Ebay last summer, from France.

And yes, could be my TT had reached it's end. Still, wont help me much. I want it back up and running. :(

If you're getting a blank white screen, then the good news is most of the system is up. So, basics first:

Check the PSU, make sure you're getting a solid 5v and 12v output.

Then get your ESD protection on (anti-static wrist strap bonded to earth) and start going around the board ensuring all chips are well seated. These socketed IC's work their way loose over time, a good press on them should get them back where they belong. Also check the TT RAM and ST RAM a well seated (remove and re-seat the SIMMs, get rid of any dust while you're there).

If you're getting a blank white screen, then the good news is most of the system is up. So, basics first:

Check the PSU, make sure you're getting a solid 5v and 12v output.

Then get your ESD protection on (anti-static wrist strap bonded to earth) and start going around the board ensuring all chips are well seated. These socketed IC's work their way loose over time, a good press on them should get them back where they belong. Also check the TT RAM and ST RAM a well seated (remove and re-seat the SIMMs, get rid of any dust while you're there).

It's worth a try and I'll try it; it did travel all the way from Germany to Sweden. I didn't really think of resocketing everything. Still, I'm quite certain I've must have blown something since it was running along nicely before this happened. Well, will keep my fingers x'd and try..

Joakim N

Where do you live? I have 2 atari TT's here one mine and one from a friend. If you are in Europe and you want to send the pcb to check pm me.

I live in Sweden. I've got a few tips on things to check, have got contact with "Best Electronics" in the US. They've given me a few hints. Will see where that leads.

Do you know which revision of the board you have? Mine is an early one with almost all IC's in sockets.

Someone said "one picture is equal to thousand words". :)

CA400770-...........REV......... (nothing)

From what I've learned the TT's board isn't marked with any revision number, but I can tell yours is a later gen. TT than mine. Mine is probably first gen. Early gen TT's have metal shielding, two cooling fans and most ships in sockets. Later generations have the shield in the chassis, the red paint, and most components mounted directly on the board. There are something like 5-6 revisions.

It's a miracle! Took of all the metal shielding, wiggled around with the RAM-cards and pressed on some of the chips in sockets. And now. It booted up! What a RELIEF!!!!!! Noticed that one of the pins to the TT-RAM card was bent, dont know if it happened now when I took it apart or earlier. But anyway, it's back showings its happy light green dsektop, I'm happy and my weekend is saved!

Big thanks to everyone for the tips, support and suggestions! I really did believe it was fried and that I had to go hunt on Ebay for a new one. One thing is for sure, I wont use the SATAN with it again, to be sure. Might not been the SATAN that caused the problem, could just have been the little force I had to apply when connecting it, but wont risk another heart attack. ;) .

I have had it returning to a state of showing just a white screen again, and back and forth couple of times. Seems like it is the DMA-chip, the C398739, that is the culprit. THe last time I carefully lifted it with a small screwdriver and pushed it back, and that seems to have made all the difference.

So, as it seems now, most likely not the SATAN, but just an error that was waiting to happen. Or might be that the flaky powersupply damaged the DMA-chip, it bombed now as I was typing this, showing just the desktop. So right now it's not completely reliable.

I used an older version of the Satandisk with a TT for years so I doubt that is the problem, unless it does have a fault. It might be worth checking the memory, I had an issue like that when I fitted a simm TT ram extension. One of the ram modules was knackered and it would run and then bomb out randomly when ever that module was accessed. Just a possibility. I don't know if there is a program to test the TT ram (if you can get the machine running for long enough!) but if there is it would be worth doing, also try removing the ram module by module and see whether that fixes it.

Well, had it running for some time after I wrote this, I dont have much software in it yet, but I ran Kronos on it to put some load on it. It made it past several runs. Knocking on wood here.

I'll get a good PSU for the SuperSATAN and then run it with my other ST's to see if mine seems to be ok or not. All I need to do is find some time to do it. :D I'll report in this thread on my findings. What kind of PSU do you all use for your SATANs?

Just a standard AC/DC mains adaptor with switchable voltages, running at 9volt I think. I've got two, one on the TT and one on a Mega STe.

In further to my last post I should just mention that the TT ram check at the beginning of boot up doesn't seem terribly good at detecting memory problems. My TT with the faulty RAM passed that test every time...

Just a standard AC/DC mains adaptor with switchable voltages, running at 9volt I think. I've got two, one on the TT and one on a Mega STe.

In further to my last post I should just mention that the TT ram check at the beginning of boot up doesn't seem terribly good at detecting memory problems. My TT with the faulty RAM passed that test every time...

Similar to what I have then. Might be that the one I use is a bit underpowered, hence the problem I had with the STE. I did experience something strange when using it with the STE, sometimes when resetting or even turning of the power to the STE it seemed like the SATAN fed power into the STE. Run some game from the SATAN, and when resetting or even power-cycling the STE the game remained in RAM. I had to unplug the power to the SATAN as well in order to be able to restart properly. Can't recall I ever had that problem with my Megafiles.

A good program to properly test the RAM and everything would be handy. Was thinking if I could find one of those test-cartridges to see if tehre is something else wrong wwith my Ataris.