IGNORED

Color STE: enhanced color desktop

moulinaie

Hello,

I have made some changes in ColorSTE:

1) The name ColorSTE was not signifiant anymore as it also works in mono and not only on the STE... I changed this for STDESK

2) In mono and medium resolution, you get new icons and a sound at startup

3) in color, always the same plus the menu bar colored.

Here are the views of the three available resolutions:

post-31118-0-93682200-1330953433_thumb.gif

post-31118-0-08139900-1330953449_thumb.gif

post-31118-0-69123200-1330953466_thumb.gif

The archive is downloadable on my page:

http://gtello.pagesp...fr/colorste.htm

Guillaume.

Looks Fantastic! I really like it. I'll have to grab the one that works for 2.06 for use on the Mega computers....

One thing though, I ran this on a STFM so it should have played the STDESK.YM but I didnt hear any sound.

I even made an auto folder on the floppy, copied STDESK.PRG in there and rebooted, and still no sound.

Looks Fantastic! I really like it. I'll have to grab the one that works for 2.06 for use on the Mega computers....

One thing though, I ran this on a STFM so it should have played the STDESK.YM but I didnt hear any sound.

I even made an auto folder on the floppy, copied STDESK.PRG in there and rebooted, and still no sound.

Where did you put the STDESK.YM file???

It should be in C:\, not in the AUTO folder.

Guillaume.

Hi again,

I'm working on the background... Looks cool ! But not finished as I have to find some system addresses for the TOS 1.4/1.2/1.0

colste_low.gif

colste_high.gif

colste_medium.gif

This background remains active when an application is running, here my FORTH editor:

colste_app.gif

Guillaume.

I've been using the Mega STe version and I enjoy it. Luckily most all the games I run have no troubles while using this. One of my favorites does complain about too much low ram occupied. So I just clean boot to play that one. It's "invaders" a nice little Space Invaders clone.

Thanks for the nice program :)

• 1 month later...

Bumping for this excellent software.

Plus, is there any chance the TOS2.06 version could get the sound player like STDesk?

I was using STDesk with my STe when it was 1.62 and now that I switched it to 2.06 I have to use the version compatible with that.

So no more boot up music. :(

Plus, is there any chance the TOS2.06 version could get the sound player like STDesk?

I was using STDesk with my STe when it was 1.62 and now that I switched it to 2.06 I have to use the version compatible with that.

And no more background image !!!!!

Adding the music to the 2.06 version could be possible, I'll have to recompile the source written by Ronald Andersson with a different assembler than mine...

Guillaume.

And no more background image !!!!!

Adding the music to the 2.06 version could be possible, I'll have to recompile the source written by Ronald Andersson with a different assembler than mine...

Guillaume.

That would be awesome. I would use it for sure!

Hi, I really like this since it really improves the GEM desktop. It works on boot up, but when I do a warm reset the icons, background and sound don't appear. I'm using TOS 1.62 but on Hatari so I'm not sure if this also happens on a real ST (which sadly I don't have hooked up now).

Hi, I really like this since it really improves the GEM desktop. It works on boot up, but when I do a warm reset the icons, background and sound don't appear. I'm using TOS 1.62 but on Hatari so I'm not sure if this also happens on a real ST (which sadly I don't have hooked up now).

I've had problems with Hatari too, ST DESK is not so stable than on a real ST. Why? I can't undestrand... !!! Does Hatari really emulates the hardware or does it replaces some code of TOS to speed up things?

Guillaume.

I've had problems with Hatari too, ST DESK is not so stable than on a real ST. Why? I can't undestrand... !!! Does Hatari really emulates the hardware or does it replaces some code of TOS to speed up things?

Guillaume.

Hmm, no clue... Emulation is never 100% perfect either way. Might be something with the reset vector cause it only happens when you do a warm boot.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump.

Guillaume, any chance on some med-res enhancements like the awesome work you've

done in low res? I realize you're working with only 4 colors instead of 16.

That would be very cool though! :)

I was thinking about using a 4 grey levels design.

But suddenly... I got lazy!

Sure that with 4 greys, the medium rez would look much better. But how many softs will be disturbed by those colors when they expect to find the standard red, green white and black?

Is it really worth it?

Guillaume.

Well, when you put it like that, I guess not. Still, it would be nice just to get some color

desktop/window icons, instead of just the plain ones.

So whats the difference with what they expect in low res? Is it because there are 16

colors to play around with?

Thanks!