IGNORED

Recommended Apple ][ games.

Arkhan

So, this Apple II is ready to go. I was happy that it was such a simple process as opposed to the finnicky C64 hardware.

I am all ears for game recommendations.

RPGs need not be recommended unless they're an Apple II exclusive. I've already completed the Phantasie games, Demons Winter, and Ultima's, etc... so unless it's a secret exclusive, don't bother, because I already know it exists from C64 or DOS experience. :)

That's not to say I won't be playing those ... but, I don't need to be told to.

I fired up Falcons. It's surprisingly fun to play. Any other arcade style games are what I'm looking for first. Also, adventure or platformer games. I am already starting to like the cheese grater quality audio. The death noise in falcons deserves to be on full volume.

Also, I want to make a bootleg copy of Akalabeth, complete with ziploc bag, to nail to my wall.. Anyone got some nice scans of the label/manual/crap?

These are good looking so far.

I also found Borg, and may give that a shot. I like those kind of games. Drol is pretty amazing looking. I'm starting to develop appreciation for Apple II that I never had, since I was always on the C64 and Amiga500

I came across captain goodnight as well. Looks interesting.

I definitely want to get Black Magic.

are ebay prices for these games fair? They seem pretty steep, and I'd like to have some boxed games instead of a bunch of bootlegs.

The Analog Edge is the other joystick I got (10$), but I worry now that it's not for the Apple II as stated in the auction. That would really piss me off, lol.

Here's my list of personal favorites that I posted a couple of years ago. They're rather obscure, but they're easy to get the hang of and I think they're some of the best games the Apple II has to offer.

Chrono Warrior

This is a pretty ambitious game, combining different types of gameplay with a fun time-travel story. In the first level, you scramble around a prehistoric mountain collecting pieces of your time-gate. In the second, you race chariots at a Roman circus. In the third... well, I can't spoil the whole thing, can I?

Ankh

You're an abstract geometric entity navigating through an abstract geometric world, avoiding abstract geometric enemies and solving logic puzzles. The environment is unique and unforgettable.

Flip Out

My sister and I spent many spiteful hours on this game where all you do is mess with your opponent. The object is to get all your balls to the bottom first - and if you fail to do so before running out, you get to use your opponent's! Definitely play with another human if you can, as the AI is rather weak.

Frenzy

A simple game of evasion, but it makes fantastic use of the Apple II's unique audio, with some truly unsettling voice samples and gameplay.

Paipec

Catch the stuff that falls from the sky, using your four stacked platforms - but if you miss, you lose a platform and have less vertical surface area with which to catch something on the side. Just like Kaboom! for the Atari 2600, if you ever played that. Straightforward, nerve-wracking, and utterly addictive.

Edited by Streck

Cavern Creatures is glorious.

I also gave Horizon V a shot.

My archer joystick came today, and It's being a bit of a dickhead. I think it needs tweaked inside a bit.. it doesn't seem to stay centered, or still.. dang.

Aquatron is great. It's like a precursor to what I am doing for the PC Engine... www.aetherbyte.com/atl.php ! :)