IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 5 Round 3 Pengo

zylon

Our game for round 3 is Pengo. Play on default starting settings and DO NOT camp in a corner thumping the wall in a corner to run up the score. Using a diamond as a shield is acceptable, if not in a corner and don't "live" there.

Emulation is fine as is whatever controls you wish.

Round ends on Sunday, March 18th 2012 @ 10pm EST

Current HSC record: Pengo - atariron82 458,910

Beat it for a bonus point!

Final scores:

340,460 trbb +11

264,600 sdamon +10

196,750 atariron82 +9

195,350 skosh +8

153,830 tank +7

148,720 chuckwalla +6

144,890 NE146 +5

130,820 patbb +4

87,410 zylon +3

71,110 roadrunner +2

37,600 BydoEmpire +1

28,460 jblenkle +1

Current Standings:

sdamon - 20

tank - 17

atariron82 - 17

Cafeman - 12

BydoEmpire - 8

peedenmark7 - 7

JacobZu7zu7 - 11

trbb - 11

skosh - 16

jblenkle - 5

roadrunner - 9

ahuffman - 1

zylon - 4

patbb - 5

Rounds Won:

sdamon - 1

skosh - 1

post-25215-0-82790800-1330917871_thumb.jpg

Edited by zylon

Those of you using an emulator to play this.. what emulator are you using and what settings?

I'm a little out of the loop and when I try to play Pengo via emu it does the old "jumping" behavior and Pengo gets stuck in an ice cube on the edge of the screen.

Yeah I could break out the real thing but that's a little bit of a hassle right now. :lol:

Those of you using an emulator to play this.. what emulator are you using and what settings?

I'm a little out of the loop and when I try to play Pengo via emu it does the old "jumping" behavior and Pengo gets stuck in an ice cube on the edge of the screen.

Yeah I could break out the real thing but that's a little bit of a hassle right now. :lol:

It does not work in MESS, same problem.

Thanks guys, for the HSC record change. I had no idea that a "camping" strategy was used to get the aforementioned record high score. It seems like a rather "pointless" way to play the game, akin to blowing up all the asteroids, save one in Asteroids

and pegging the flying saucer repeatedly to rack up a million :dunce:

My strategy was (and is) pretty straight forward and pattern based; I claim the maximum bonus in each round by lining up all 3 diamond blocks, one "block" from the wall. It gets risky in the higher levels and the snowbees end up getting the best of me when I make split-second wrong turns.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, for the HSC record change. I had no idea that a "camping" strategy was used to get the aforementioned record high score. It seems like a rather "pointless" way to play the game, akin to blowing up all the asteroids, save one in Asteroids

My strategy was (and is) pretty straight forward and pattern based; I claim the maximum bonus in each round by lining up all 3 diamond blocks, one "block" from the wall. It gets risky in the higher levels and the snowbees end up getting the best of me when I make split-second wrong turns.

You know, that's the way most? (if not all) of us played Asteroids the last time it was played in the 7800 HSC.

Keep shooting the small UFO

A few people crushed the old HSC record score too.

Edited by roadrunner

Had a pen-go :-o (I played on Advanced as on PAL)

203,160 (lv17) I avoided the corners and concentrated on the 10k bonuses (the fun part).

5200 ver looks identical to the A8 version but has a more chordy sounding tune. Seemed a bit easier than I remember re the baddies, will boot up the A8 ver at some point to compare ;-)

post-19705-0-51113500-1331330561.jpg

You know, that's the way most? (if not all) of us played Asteroids the last time it was played in the 7800 HSC.

Say it isn't so rr?! Yeah, I suppose it might be fun for awhile if you were trying to "fry" the game and everyone was doing it. There is a challenge in not accidently hitting the last asteroid while shooting the UFO (since shots wrap around screen).

NE146: Yes, it's legit if allowed(see above). Just don't be the only knucklehead who wonders "why is everybody getting 100X more points than me?" ;)

Well.. it's not really an easy thing to do (to shoot the small UFO). In the arcade game it really shoots directly at you and avoiding it's shots takes some skill. They also target the tiny asteroid and make you get to the next stage. :P

Unsure about the 8-bit version though..

Edited by NE146

Say it isn't so rr?! Yeah, I suppose it might be fun for awhile if you were trying to "fry" the game and everyone was doing it. There is a challenge in not accidently hitting the last asteroid while shooting the UFO (since shots wrap around screen).

NE146: Yes, it's legit if allowed(see above). Just don't be the only knucklehead who wonders "why is everybody getting 100X more points than me?" ;)

Yeah, that's the way i've always played Asteroids. :(

I assumed most other people played it the same way.

Yeah, it does take some skill to shoot that small UFO and not get shot.

While unsporting, the UFO can shoot you so it's not a total cop-out.

Had a pen-go :-o (I played on Advanced as on PAL)

203,160 (lv17) I avoided the corners and concentrated on the 10k bonuses (the fun part).

5200 ver looks identical to the A8 version but has a more chordy sounding tune. Seemed a bit easier than I remember re the baddies, will boot up the A8 ver at some point to compare ;-)

post-19705-0-51113500-1331330561.jpg

I have both the 5200 and A8 ports in NTSC. I'd have no problem with allowing A8 ports if game play/scoring is the same. There are some exceptions, such as when the controls make a huge difference in play analog vs digital.

Yeah, that's the way i've always played Asteroids. :(

I assumed most other people played it the same way.

Yeah, it does take some skill to shoot that small UFO and not get shot.

for the record,

when I played Asteroids in the 7800 HSC, I DID NOT milk points from the UFO...

I will say I tried it for a moment, but the amount of time it would take to achieve a high score is exceedingly LONG!! it would become a marathon play and I don't have the patience (or time) for that... folks who know my style of play know I prefer FAST, high speed, twitch gameplay! I was more successful scoring high points in Asteroids when the screen was covered with rocks and going to town blasting and dodging everything!

Asteroids hands out an extend (at least in the 7800 version on default settings) every 10,000 points, and at the higher levels, you kind of get an extra life thrown at you more frequently as you're scoring more points per round in the later levels...

Edited by Sonic R

:) Personal best: 87,410

In giving a comparison play, I've found the A8 version to play the same though I'm using 5200 cart for this contest. If anything, my scores were slightly lower on A8.

post-25215-0-95242300-1331506348_thumb.jpg

I have been playing on real hardware but gave it a try in Altirra (5200 mode) and it seemed to play fine.

Could you please let me know the settings you're using.

Also, they key you have to press to start a game and change the level of difficulty.

Thanks.

I see the starting screen but I cannot start the game!