IGNORED

Who made the worst games?

BillyHW

Meh, I think the loathing of Acclaim is overplayed. Not much different from many other companies of their time, they naturally published plenty junk. I can think of plenty of games they published here in the US that I enjoyed thoroughly

Ooh, didn't realize we were including publishers too. Yeah, Acclaim published some of my NES favorites. Wizards & Warriors, like you'd mentioned... lots of time spent on those as a kid.

Edited by Rex Dart

I vote for Ocean. I don't think I own or ever wanted to own anything they did, which was usually crapped-out movie license games.

Rare, just look at Taboo

Gonna have to disagree with you on that one. I don't know what they were thinking with Taboo but Rare made great games and didn't seem afraid to try different things. Wizards and Warriors, RC Pro-Am Racing, Cobra Triangle, Battletoads...good stuff. Captain Skyhawk was a little clunky but it had its merits.

I'm going to defend Ocean and say Mr. Nutz was awesome (after you get used to the game mechanics and rhythm). Other than that game, I haven't played any other titles by them though.

For those knockin' Taboo...realize, it's not a 'game', it was a tarot card fortune-telling simulator. And at that, it did a pretty good job, I would think. Think of it as Video Pachinko...something to look at and tinker with, but only if you knew what it was. If Mom n' Dad bought Jr. Taboo for Christmas, I could see the reason why...but it's hardly Rare's fault. It was what it was, and for what it was supposed to be, it was good.

• Like 4

Second. A lot of effort was put into Taboo but you do have to wonder why they bothered. There's a flamboyant sense of style in nearly EVERY Rare game for the NES, which speaks volumes about their work ethic when some of the titles they've released were based on game shows and Sesame Street.

I'll toss in with LJN as well, along with Acclaim. Ever play Total Recall on the NES? 'Nuff said.

Man, Total Recall on NES was a shame. And I remember people that paid good money for that game around 1991... :D

For the C64, it was Us Gold.

I may be one of the only people who LIKED that game.....:ponder:

Total Recall? I actually like that game too! yes, there are some issues I suppose, but I think part of the draw to me was overcoming its shortcomings... but I'm a masochist... I like many games which are universally accepted as bad

Oh I forgot, LJN/Flying Edge actually made Spider-Man/X-Men for SNES. That game I actually found to be really fun and pretty good. I thought Spider-Man's levels were bland but really enjoyed Cyclops and Gambit's levels. Wolverine's levels were kind of funny and Storm's were annoying because they made her swim through them until her very final stage. I found the Max 1-up trick in Gambit's first stage without any guides or information from anyone else.

The ports of the game to all other weaker systems sucked though, and this was one game where the Genesis version was ok, but didn't look or sound as good as its SNES counterpart. It didn't even have as many music tracks.

Edited by TheGameCollector

Oh I forgot, LJN/Flying Edge actually made Spider-Man/X-Men for SNES. That game I actually found to be really fun and pretty good.

The music in that game was mind-blowing at the time -- I'd never heard any console do anything like it!

I liked the game itself, too, though it was hard as hell (at least at first) and it gets a little annoying to have to replay Spider-Man's opening stage over and over again.

Don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but Ballstic (Genesis) made some real stinkers. Mike Ditka Power Football is horrible but I do play it on occasion for 2 reasons: there's a cheat where you can outrun all the defenders (because they stop when you pass the line of scrimmage), and one of the background tracks is so goofy you have to hear it.

Whoa now. Pack In Video made some sweet games like Zipang and Deep Blue.

also, Color Dreams had some solid stuff. Challenge of the Dragon and Crystal Mines were great.

So was Mission Cobra.

LJN wasn't really a maker though. Just a shit-publisher.

What's funny is, pack in video made Friday the 13th for NES. :)