IGNORED

Who made the worst games?

BillyHW

Acclaim & Midway! (later 90's-2000's)

I'm soory to say that these two were pretty bad! Even LJN & earlyT-HQ*, and Culture Brain games were much better!

Midway, as the company went into the 3D gaming era, the characters where too repetitive and had limited quotes to say! Most did the same physical movements and dull actions! I never thought that they were into spending time and polishing their games!

Acclaim was the same thing! With the exception of DD II & iii, and Bigfoot! When they did the Legends of Wrestling Series they just did a terrible job! But as a wrestling fan, I accepted it for what it was!

No wonder WWE let Acclaim & Midways contracts expire, because they were not good games! Thankfully T-HQ* does a hell of a better job then those two!

Anthony....

whawhahwhawhawhawhaWHAAAAAAAAAAT! How DARE you pick on Culture Brain?!? They made my favorite NES game (The Magic of Scheherazade) Their "Super Chinese" games such as "Kung-Fu Master" or "Little Ninja Brothers" were great, even though KFM ripped off Mario sounds
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

You're all wrong. The answer is RCA. (And I say that endearingly.)

Every single game for their Studio II console was made by them. And every single one of them is a barely-intelligible mess.

The universally terrible collision detection, unusable controls, and the generally primitive nature of RCA's games could be forgiven -or at least viewed with more sympathy- if the crippling limitations of the Studio II hardware are considered. Except that RCA also made the hardware.

That said, there are about three Studio II games that are kinda fun: Bowling, Gunfighter, and Space War - Vertical Intercept. And maybe Blackjack. But beyond those polished turds, RCA's games make AVGN's picks for w0rst gmae EVAR look like works of art.

I'd given this some thought, and almost went with Magnavox, for their Odyssey offerings. Screen overlays and gameboards and pieces? Eff that. Not only is that beyond primitive, it's a pain in the ass, and at the end of the day, not really any fun (I defy anyone to honestly tell me they actually had real fun -I mean gameplay fun, not historical curiosity fun- with any Odyssey game other than Table Tennis; maybe it's one of those things where you just had to be there, I guess). However, the Odyssey was the first of its kind, as we all know, and I don't think it's fair to pile on anything that's the first in its field. There was no frame of reference. It had to blaze its own trail.

By the time RCA hit the scene, video games were relatively well-established. Stuff like the superior Channel F was already out, and Atari's Video Computer System was just around the corner. RCA had no excuse.

• Haha 1

Purina - Chase The Chuck Wagon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX-WSUHmsb8

Why do these idiots who review/play VCS games on yT never know how to play a VCS game? You're supposed to eat the food, moron. Read the manual for gods sake

I'm pretty sure that if you "Review" a game on YouTube, you should know how to play the game at least. Good Grief. This video is horrible.

• Like 1

You're all wrong. The answer is RCA. (And I say that endearingly.)

Every single game for their Studio II console was made by them. And every single one of them is a barely-intelligible mess.

The universally terrible collision detection, unusable controls, and the generally primitive nature of RCA's games could be forgiven -or at least viewed with more sympathy- if the crippling limitations of the Studio II hardware are considered. Except that RCA also made the hardware.

That said, there are about three Studio II games that are kinda fun: Bowling, Gunfighter, and Space War - Vertical Intercept. And maybe Blackjack. But beyond those polished turds, RCA's games make AVGN's picks for w0rst gmae EVAR look like works of art.

I'd given this some thought, and almost went with Magnavox, for their Odyssey offerings. Screen overlays and gameboards and pieces? Eff that. Not only is that beyond primitive, it's a pain in the ass, and at the end of the day, not really any fun (I defy anyone to honestly tell me they actually had real fun -I mean gameplay fun, not historical curiosity fun- with any Odyssey game other than Table Tennis; maybe it's one of those things where you just had to be there, I guess). However, the Odyssey was the first of its kind, as we all know, and I don't think it's fair to pile on anything that's the first in its field. There was no frame of reference. It had to blaze its own trail.

By the time RCA hit the scene, video games were relatively well-established. Stuff like the superior Channel F was already out, and Atari's Video Computer System was just around the corner. RCA had no excuse.

Oh yes, Odyssey was great fun in 1972, to have a game on TV was excellent enough (as in 'never seen before'), and all (most) games where multiplayer games, for the whole family to enjoy by also adding accessories like board games to be incorperated into the gameplay (how innovative). As for colour, Baer wanted colour games, but it was too expensive to do in the 60s, so they chose to use overlays. It worked fine.

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 2

looks around, the next person to dis Koei, the makers of Aerobiz & Aerobiz Supersonic, is going to get it!

Haven't you heard? Turn based games suck. The prevailing wisdom among gamers now seems to be that turn based games can't even be called games.

And yes, I have seen that sentiment in quite a few reviews of the past few years, stated in exactly that way.

As for which company made the worst games. I'm not exactly sure. I tend to only associate company names with games when the games are good. However, when I have made the link between bad game and company, two brands pop up again and again: EA and Akklaim. They're the only ones which have been consistently prominent and consistently bad over the years to make me associate their names with bad games. Even LJN didn't manage to do that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Vic Tokai made some serious stinkers.

Wow, a lot of hate for my fav companies! First Koei and now Vic Tokai! :ponder:

Yeah, they made some bad games. But they also made two of my all time favs for the NES, Clash at Demonhead and Conflict. (Super Conflict for the SNES was a lot of fun also). Mind you, I haven't played any of their PS1 or later stuff....although I recall the N64 game they made being okay.

• Like 1

Vic Tokai made some serious stinkers.

Wow, a lot of hate for my fav companies! First Koei and now Vic Tokai! :ponder:

Yeah, they made some bad games. But they also made two of my all time favs for the NES, Clash at Demonhead and Conflict. (Super Conflict for the SNES was a lot of fun also). Mind you, I haven't played any of their PS1 or later stuff....although I recall the N64 game they made being okay.

Never played Conflict; I'm trying to warm up to Clash At Demonhead right now. It's tough, I'm not really a fan of it. It certainly has its following though..

FCI made some stinkers aside from Zanac. Super Pitfall and Seicross are horrible, as are most of their games.

Actually they just published it, Compile is behind Zanac, hence why it's good. Compile is also behind or was behind Puyo Puyo at one time.

As for Vic Tokai, I'd say Trouble Shooters 1 and 2 are pretty nice from them.

• 9 years later...

Robo-demons has some badass art though. the actual game is garbage. Rare made some stinkers such as Roger rabbit but redeemed themselves with Goldeneye and PD, so they get spared.

Worst games? If we're talking pure crap then LJN can't qualify as at least some of their games are passable (Jaws for example as well as BTTF 2&3)

Neither can Action 52 as the game is now memetic 

Let me think...

Color dreams. Purely god awful.

Amaze

Runner ups:

Sachen

Beam Software

THQ

Black ops Entertainment (Tomorrow Never dies, WINE etc)

Radical Entertainment

Those are off the top of my head. Christ I've played so many crappy games in my youth. NEVER buy ID for PS1, get Siphon filter or Twisted Metal or Metal gear but stay FAR away from Independence day.

Konami made one POS for N64. that game is Hybrid Heaven. I will NEVER put that crap in an N64 ever again

Edited by Frozone212
Typo

2 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

Robo-demons has some badass art though. the actual game is garbage. Rare made some stinkers such as Roger rabbit but redeemed themselves with Goldeneye and PD, so they get spared.

Worst games? If we're talking pure crap then LJN can't qualify as at least some of their games are passable (Jaws for example as well as BTTF 2&3)

Neither can Action 52 as the game is now memetic 

Let me think...

Color dreams. Purely god awful.

Amaze

Runner ups:

Sachen

Beam Software

THQ

Black ops Entertainment (Tomorrow Never dies, WINE etc)

Radical Entertainment

Those are off the top of my head. Christ I've played so many crappy games in my youth. NEVER buy ID for PS1, get Siphon filter or Twisted Metal or Metal gear but stay FAR away from Independence day.

Konami made one POS for N64. that game is Hybrid Heaven. I will NEVER put that crap in an N64 ever again

I'd say these would have to be some of the worst ones:

Digital Pictures - Corpse Killer, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, Slam City with Scottie Pippen, Sewer Shark, Night Trap

Bits Studios - Last Action Hero, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, No Escape, Spider-Man 3: Invasion of the Spider-Slayers, Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Gray Matter - Wayne's World, James Bond Jr., Dirty Harry, The Incredible Crash Dummies, The Ren & Stimpy Show: Veediots!

Imagineering Inc - Race Drivin', Toys, Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, Swamp Thing, Home Improvement

Probe Entertainment Limited - Bram Stoker's Dracula, Batman Forever, Back to the Future Part III, Judge Dredd, The Pagemaster

Edited by electricmastro

33 minutes ago, electricmastro said:

Probe Entertainment

They're also known for technical excellence and also had a number of big hits across all platforms, spanning nearly 2 decades. As with every company with a big output there are bound to be some stinkers though.