IGNORED

FS: Ship Your Original XBOX for UPGRADE | 2016 $130+ship

Mark Wolfe

:) hi....mike you should come and chat pre CoinOPS 5 and see if theres stuff that can be added to suit you....

mclebron23 if you want the real word you should come to the offical site and ask question.....you are dealing with people that have been cut out of the game and are not telling you all you need to know...there is a real time chat on the forum

Sooooo.....your first and only post here is to push another forum while putting down the community here? Stay classy........... :roll:

• Like 1

great point and here's another:

please count how many times I personally have either linked to or recommended people go to, that website and read for themselves about coinops... i swear it is usually the first thing out of my mouth when someone asks me. I probably am responsible for sending them tons of visitors ... and this is the thanks I get

sheesh :roll:

• Like 3

EDITED to read 1emulation.....Id recommend he find another side to the story if he wants as I left was kicked out (maybe trolled or bullied but it was to problematic for me) by the few that remain now and 99 percent of people left the forum leaving just 1 or 2 remaining....1000s of posts and 100s of users are now 1 or 2 posts a week and a few users........theres two sides to every story.....

sorry if its been read wrong....edited maybe to make it clearer.....you can remove this stuff its was just saying to him if he wants help about what CoinOPS offers or doesnt offer hes going to the wrong place (1emulation)

ill leave on that note....I do wish you guys the best.....I do hope the community is left to make choices on what is the best without a few people removing and battling CoinOPS.....pretty much all the remaining people seem to be threatened by me....its very strange im there to talk to and offer my code to them.....and they lock theres away.....to me this is the nature of the beast and allways has been.....it doesnt effect me, but if he really wants help on specifics he can come and chat ... id love for him to see the options.....

Edited by BritneysPAIRS

read wrong? or written wrong? regardless, I think my biggest problem with what you are saying is that I have NO clue what you are saying. I don't know what 1emulation is, the site that hosts coinops development is http://coinopsprojec...ortal.php that is where I send people to find out the information about coinops from the horse's mouth. THAT is where the dev happens and where the information comes from.

if you're talking about some forum war that has nothing to do with us, please don't bring it here. if you're talking about some specific person, it ain't me it ain't in THIS thread and it is not relevant to coinops.

Edited by Mark Wolfe
  • Like 3

for the record, I do not have a BUSINESS. I have a small little service that is for people who are members of THIS forum. I have gotten a few people from outside but most of them wind up being members here and liking it. this is a simple service. I don't make money and I sure as hell don't offer the kinds of things that people at that forum are offering, like commercial game copies on the HD and so forth. I could care less if someone does not come here to hire me to do their xbox because that is not who I do this for. I do it for my long time friends here who do not have the resources to do it themselves.

1emulation is NOT the dev spot of coinops. as far as I can tell there are a few jealous people who talk trash about other people they never met or talked to. PLEASE do not bring that here. we don't need it

Edited by Mark Wolfe
  • Like 3

BTW: you're more than welcome at AtariAge, we just don't like the drama some other forums seem to be about. we are classic gamers and lovers of gadgets and geeky, nerdy type stuff, we all have our various favorites but we come together here to share what we know and talk about what we love. beyond that, we don't really care about what is going on at other forums.

• Like 4

well, it sounds like there is probably a good reason why coinps struck out to establish its own identity in terms of a forum and a website. they outgrew 1emulation, that is just the way things go. it also sounds like there are some people who hold a grudge or whatever, and that happens too. we are grateful for the dev that coinops is getting and what it is becoming. it is a truly amazing piece of software and the people behind really hit on something that needed to be done. I just bought an xbox with 128MB of ram just for coinops and I can not wait for CO5. I am checking the site every week to see when it is coming.

• Like 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZYhDMCOyww

Did I miss something?

I thought this thread was all about Mark's awesome service he is offering and the details about it ...

What gives?

EDIT: OK, I see. Well, enjoy the Princess Bride clip anyway.

I'm getting pumped about my Xbox mod. Just a few weeks more

Edited by jtoubeaux

nice video....im normally coding when I post :) hope it doesnt show......CoinOPS supports all cores, all games in 128meg and I dont think any other emus do at present.....maybe one or two do....I could be wrong but I dont think they do...

remember DRAGON has 128meg support as well (XBMC simple dash alternative) and XBMC doesnt I dont believe yet

alot of games work in 128meg if you want a list at sometime let me know

Edited by BritneysPAIRS

all CP3 games...use the no cd version or you wont be able to pass some warning...ill find a list and post as it has been researched and posted a few times....also alot of the names from vm.txt and vmhidef.txt can be removed as this is the virtual memory allocation for each game....alot of large games are broken into pieces and the parts are loaded when required....this is 100 times slower than running from ram.....

Edited by BritneysPAIRS

wow, you definitely know a TON about coinops. thank you for sharing. what is the "no cd version" ?

has anyone compiled coinops for for 128MB ram or do you have to do that on your own, ie: changing the virtual ram allocations, etc

I'm sure you're right that a list has been posted but I am not over there enough and it is lost in the shuffle. I go there like every few weeks to download the updated game packs and stuff. my problem is that I really only have USENET to download from. when the really big files are posted I am not a member of that site they post on so I can not download from it. do you know if coinops 5 will be posted on usenet?

I actually have a ton of questions about coinops that I had trouble getting answered at the forum. I guess due to the fact that I am not a regular over there. I found the FAQ to be unhelpful on many questions, although maybe it has been updated since I checked a couple months ago.

One of the things that has always troubled me was the update packs for CO4. they say just copy the contents of the directory over top of your coinops directory but the problem is, the updates always have folders that would overwrite existing folders and thereby break the software. why do they include empty folders in the update packs? or folders that have only a few items in it without instructions that specifically tell you to copy the contents separately? why don't they have a system by which updates can be automatically installed like they do with the homebrew channel?

Have you had any experience with the homebrew channel for the Wii? they have set up a server so that you can update the software as long as you are connected to the internet. it does it all automatically behind the scenes. It seems to me that coinops could implement this and then just put out the rom-packs with instructions as to which directory to upload to.

there is also a file that has been in coinops since CO4, it is in one of the top directories with all the text files. the filename on one of the text readme files is too long for the xbox to handle and I always get an error. I always have to go shorten the name and I wondered why coinops devs would have that in there knowing the limitation of the xbox hd format.

edit: maybe you can tell me who to direct my ideas to about the development for CO5. I'd like to see a no hands update scheme be implimented. if HBC can do it so can they. hell, a lot of software is updated like that these days

edit2: was just over at the coinops site and it looks like coinops5 is due out in september although I have no idea why then and not sooner given all the hype. the site is very disorganized but still it has a ton of info if you know where to look and what to look for. I am about to compile all the updates for CO4 that I have not gotten yet starting from R7 on up through FAN2. I really hope CO5 will be uploaded to usenet and not just as some sort of update you copy yourself into the CO4 directory. I truly wish they would automate the process for the core software. then rom packs could just be added as needed

Edited by Mark Wolfe

if you come chat to me on the offical forum ill let you into the private room....there you will have more say and more help....

CO5 will be full only as its getting a total refolder to make packs alot easier...eg a snes folder...a amiga folder....allowing you to pick and choose easily.....anyways this has hijacked your thread....ive achieved talking to the young man in need....and also offering you a hand if you want....as the community is a bit self destructive around CoinOPS I can help you with CoinOPS on the private site very easily....CoinOPS that you get is just me project managing and adding what I think is a good build....it can lots more than people know I just dont have the time to document it.....but theres alot under the hood that people can do.....mostly though text files as well

I hope to see you....let me know and ill open the door and its why im here....im happy to help in anyway I can and even give you more piroty for features than the avage joe.....im sorry it started out of hand and its my fault :( but really my attention to detail is in my product and stuff like this is just pushed out like the documentation unfortunatly....

PS im not wanting people to move from here quite the oposite if you have questions you dont know ask me ill explain them and then you can better help people here....each forum has a diff place and can work together no worries....

the overall xbox community is why this is why CO5 is handled underground they will soon determine when this is released...how its released and with what features...infact that will happen this weekend.......CoinOPS requires 3500 tests in sd and 3500 tests in hd and this takes the time...to get polish this takes me a few months....I do all the skin coding test features and polish :) and I have to live life....it used to be more open but it was disapointing myself and some long term helpers so it was made a bit more private.....any help on most sites is considered an attack....I dont mean it that way I just have 10 years expeince on xbox coding on alot more than coinops so I spit out stuff thats easy for me and underminds others....its a weird problem but most people even with 3 years expience to me are fairly new and dont know the history or visions from years ago and I still live in the past :(

Edited by BritneysPAIRS

discussion HERE about coinops is definitely not off topic and most welcomed actually. this is a fine place to discuss it openly so others can benefit. I just spent some time trying to upgrade from R7 to current Fantastic 4 and I think I broke some things because the stupid updates are faulty. they contain roms for hidefN64 that have ZERO K in them.,, why were those included in every update pack when they are corrupt and why so many empty folders, it makes no sense.

now I think the copy of CO4 I was working with [not the original] is going to break if I try to use it because of this half-assed way the updates are done so PLEASE help me here and talk about this stuff in this thread where the discussion is most welcomed. I don't really have time to chat in real time that much but an ongoing discussion would be very welcomed.

thanks for the offer to helpdo

you happen to know where the full CO5, fully built will be uploaded? usenet or torrent perhaps? I really want to get my hands on a fully made version and not through an update pack.

another question, there are two empty folders contained in the fantastic 4 update, it goes in the consoleRoms directory, the two folders are for gameboy and nes... they are empty and I do not see any instructions. are we supposed to move all gameboy and nes games to those two folders inside the consolerom directory? again, no info or text instructions with this last update and it becomes really hard to know what to do sometimes.

I was also wondering if there is a way to download the latest complete videos for the video folders, I think there are like four video directories now. I don't think I have them all, most likely due to accidentally overwriting the folder although do have the backup copy of CO4 pre R6 update I guess. OR can you upload the latest full build of CO4-Fantastic4 to my server? do you have good bandwidth where you are? btw: where are you from?

I dont even look at upgrade packs.....I only do full ones tested end to end....and customise the design and features around that....but others look under the hood and massive update it...using the packs will be easy if you expain what one and what folders ill explain how it should be handled

example hidefN64 folder = if there is a file any size(I put in 0k to save space) is in there by the same name as the rom it will run in HD...some games crash in HD so this allows the user to choose and ive done some I know work in HD for the release....

what other folders do you want to know about? list a few and ill tell you how they are used....and when

CO5 will be released by others id say on usenet and privatetorrent site they used on the last build....just a guess....CO5 will actually be finished in a week...unless the private forum vote to add new stuff and then it will extend out...they will get the option of how long each feature will take and the point to roll it out...all game testing (the biggest part) is done....many think features are the biggest part end to end testing setup and videos etc is the longest by far...I dont like bugs apart from my spanglish

the two folder in Fantastic for are a test for the new code :)

all gameboys are in one now...and all nes in one....

this weekend ill discuss how to refolder as the code to split it out is done and that was the test

example might be

CoinOPS/roms/amiga

/atari lynx

/atari 2600....

or CoinOPS/romscomputer/

etc.......

this was done as there is a 4096 file limit per folder and alot of users have hit the limits having 12000 games in there build...I didnt invision this....so ill allow for full sets in CO5 and ill be asking how people want this handled in the private forum this weekend....

im from downunder.....fantastic was really test builds for people that are in the private chat place they are aware what to do and when and this was for them as per readme....chating to me can realtime can easily sync this stuff and CO5 will do anyway....to a much more polished state than any pack I saw....but massive effort to them...theres alot of content out there now

well I have to say the work being done is FANTASTIC much like the aptly named recent release... that being said I see a disconnect between that work and what is being released publicly. I understand that a lot is going on behind the scenes and the work is flowing very quickly but when things are released to the public without any documentation along with it, things get confused, people get frustrated and wrong ideas get to circulating that were not intended.

it seems to me the dev team would benefit from an overhaul to the way the updates are put together and distributed. there is too much progress that is undocumented. I also think you may have misunderstood when I said "update packs" I am referring to ANY update that is released be it a "standalone" release or not. even the term "standalone" is misleading to me lol... it is all very hard to interpret from the outside. i was lucky enough to be able t download a full complete version of CO4 a few months ago that was uploaded to usenet, it was 52GB in size and it only took me about 6hrs to download it. I would LOVE to get the finalized version of 4 and then of course the version of 5 when it is released without having to jump through too many hoops to get it. Then I can continue to share it and get it out there to the public who really want it.

I understand now why zero k files were used but instead, why not a simple text file inside the directory with the list of rom names? wouldn't that not only save on space but time as well? if a text file was used instead of all these filler files and you did away with the re-peating of many of the directories that do not change, then things would be MUCH simpler for an outsider or even and insider to deal with.

I now have to backtrack to replace the rom files that were used as placeholders because I did not realize they were zero k until it was too late. luckily I used a copy of CO4 to mess with but I feel like I wasted the night, I was up all night doing it because there were so many updates to catch up on.

I am in NO WAY blaming anyone but myself on this, I am always telling people to go to the site and READ but this is an instance though where I read all I could and come to find out I should have been in the live chat which is not really an option for me most of the time due to my work.

I would like to assist in helping to make the process more user friendly and to discuss ways to institute an automatic update system that is BUILT IN to coinops. for instance, there is an FTP folder "under to hood" as you put it. like you said there is a LOT of power in there that has yet to be unleashed so why can't we incorporate the internal FTP capability of CoinOps and use it to update the program?

I think a file could be created that could be merged with the existing build on a given xbox that is connected to the internet and running the ftp app. it could be used to add on the things that have been changed and re-arrange items that are in place if something changes like the location of roms due to the file limit you spoke of. I mean I totally get why the changes are coming to the directories, but what I don't understand is why the choice to address the change is to put placeholder files with zero k in them when a simple text file would suffice or to repeat directories that do not change just because it fits some arcane method that has been established for users in chat...

there has to be a way to cut down on the confusion and at the same time ramp up the ease by which updates are created, distributed and implemented. I can only use the Wii's HomeBrew Channel as a perfect example of what i am talking about. the Devs for that software figured out pretty early on that they could update the software internally when the user switched on the wii and connected to the internet. I would wager that the very forum software used by the coinops dev team has an internal update system just as this forum does... it can check for updates every time it connects and it can download the update and apply it with a click of a button. This MUST be possible with coinops perhaps in coinops 5??

edit: I do believe there is software for Mac, PC & Linux that can compare two folders and make a "difference file". so say you have for example a folder with "CoinOps 4 R1" and another folder with "Coinops 4 R10". the software would compare the two and create a file that would allow users with the software to take that file and apply it to their R1 version and update it to the R10 version with a simple click of a button. this would alleviate all the difficulties people are having with the updates would it not? perhaps a bit of code can be designed to run on the xbox1 that will do that same thing and then that could be used for updates? I am no software coder but data is all the same, zeros and ones.... binary. seems to me if simple checksum and par apps can be made that something like that could be designed and written for the xbox.

edit2: just found this with a quick google search: http://winmerge.org/

it is open source so the source code could be used to make something similar for the xbox I would think. and if this app won't do it, there must be something out there that will

Edited by Mark Wolfe
  • Like 1

Holy wow! You got BP himself to come over and talk about CoinOps!

Nice work, Mark, keep him talking! :D I've learned more about CO5 and Fantastic in this thread than I have in weeks of cruising the official CoinOps forums! Like you, the FAQs and limited update procedure discussions have not been enough to feed my need for information!

I am very much looking forward to CO5. CO4 Fantastic with the 30GB+ of programs I have loaded into it has definitely been my "go-to" system for months now . . . CO5 will be great - - Dragon's Lair support is coming back, for instance!

Welcome to AtariAge, BP - - great to have you here!

-a2a

This is my first post here on AA, so hello to everyone. I initially joined the forum because i learned of Mark's Xbox service and had an Xbox i wanted upgraded. Really looking forward to CoinOps 5!

I had a question for you BP. I've read that CoinOps uses free hard drive space to help some games run efficiently. How much space would be ideal to leave open for CoinOps to use?

• Like 1