IGNORED

Transferring to multiple 360's w. one transfer cable each time?

cimerians

If I understand correctly the transfer cable can only be used once on the original source Xbox and never again from that source Xbox.

Can you transfer from the original to a second unit, and then from the second unit to a third using the same xfer cable? (Sequential)

1st --> 2nd --> 3rd?

Hmmm I have one of the original transfer kits (the ones MS used to send out free) but honestly never used it.

My MO for getting purchased DLC on a new console is to just go into the download history and redownload everything. I have a couple times retied my licences to newer (better) Xbox 360 and again redownloaded everything. It used to be a bigger pain in the ass when you could only have like 8 downloads queued at one time. Now that you can have like 30 queued up, it's considerably easier.

That said. I've seen many site mention that you can use the cable on more than one console. Like you can use it, give it to a friend, they can use it, they can give it to a friend etc...

I didn't see any instances where they tried to migrate data off a HDD they had migrated to in the past though.

There is this note on the support.xbox.com Hard drive transfer cable site....

Note Starting in October 2011, the Xbox 360 Transfer Cable can be used to transfer content between any two Xbox 360 Hard Drives

here's the official page to the transfer cable: http://support.xbox....-transfer-cable

the transfer cable can be used over and over. it's just a cable. In fact, over at AVSForum, guys were using the same cable and mailing it around so that everyone could use it to transfer from one hard drive to another.

There is one caveat. If you intend on using the cable with both the original 360 and the newer 360-S (nicknamed the slim but officially the 360-S), you need to purchase a newer cable. The older cable had incompatibility problems with the newer chipsets of the 360S. It may or may not work, hence the need to release a new cable. If you buy a newer cable, you can use it on the older 360. But the older cable may not work on the newer 360S. Be wary of fake Chinese transfer cables off places like Amazon. You have no clue whether these are compatible with newer systems and there was significant stock in the retail channels.

And you will want to use the transfer cable if you have a lot of content. I have 250+ GB of content (much more if I count game discs I don't install to the hard drive) and it's a nightmare copying things piecemeal. Downloading is even worse because you need to keep track of what you've queued up and what you've already done.

The transfer process with the cable only transfers the data. You still have to migrate your licenses unless you don't mind being logged into Xbox Live all the time or if you don't share the content with anyone. Remember, licenses are tagged to systems and user accounts, not hard drives.

You can have a license transfer every 4 months: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/marketplace-and-purchasing/download-content

As far as I know, this license transfer is all or nothing. You can't just transfer the license to one title. So let's say your brother buys some things and you buy some things to the Xbox. When you transfer licenses, I believe it transfers all of them.

As far as I know, this license transfer is all or nothing.

Yep that is true. I tried. Kind of sucks. Prior to getting my Gear of War 360, I was rotating consoles to buy DLC, the thought being that every console would have games tied to it, in the event I didn't have internet access. Now all that is ruined since I decided to tie all the licences to the Gears of War 360.

OK thanks for all the info. It used to be once a year for licenses. Nice to hear its 4 months now. Problem I may have is its a COD4 model unit to a slim. (Star Wars)

I snagged a Star Wars Xbox 360. Yeah I did the insane and dropped 500 bucks on that and the kinect.

So now I have the original non HD Xenon model. The COD4 special edition model (whatever that is) and the Star Wars model. The one I've always wanted and missed was Moycons Resident Evil red box.

30 downloads is awesome so I may just download all night and then just use a USB stick to login and play the games and leave the other unit as the primary (with licenses).

Yeah what exactly is it that you use the cable to transfer? I got a bunch of 360's.. all I ever did was download the xbox live arcade games I purchased to each one (while I was on them).

And as for saved games, I guess now they got that cloud storage so that pretty much distributes them to all the consoles by default.

NE146, you use the cable to transfer DLC from one HD to another. That's the purpose of it. If you're retiring a older console and have a significant amount of DLC, it's considerably faster than manually moving over portions of it with a USB drive or redownloading all of it directly to the new console. If you have things like marketplace videos, large expansion packs, or even full Xbox or 360 downloads, simply redownloading everything could take an awfully long time. Using a transfer cable can move it all in a fraction of the time of redownloading it and without the hassle of manually doing it yourself with a USB drive. Plus, it allows you to keep Hexic which I imagine at least a few people are fans of (You can't redownload that).

Has its place if you won't be using the old hard drive (or console) and want dozens of gigs of DLC moved to your new hard drive or system.

Edited by Atariboy

simply redownloading everything could take an awfully long time.

This is no lie.

As someone who has over 150 arcade titles, around 30 TV shows, multiple DLC addi-ons and even a few full Xbox 360 titles the process takes hours for sure!

I tend to load up with the 100's of little items, gamerpics, avatar awards, themes, old arcade game, small DLC etc.... They go so fast you can't really fill up the queue of 30.

The rest, I usually just load up on and leave. I think when i did the DLC videos I just queued em up and went to bed. You can turn on Background Downloading so you can shut the unit off but it keeps the internet connection up and keeps on chugging. Not quick process to be sure!

Stangly though, I don't mind doing it. It really gives me chance to see exacly what all i've downloaded in the past. Some things, long forgotten. A lot of items I don't re-download. Free themes and gamerpics. Contest DLC crap. Old videos of coming soon games that have been out for 4 years now! :cool:

Yeah, I've done the re-download a few times (since I'm on my, let's see, 6th console!). It IS time consuming, but I have Background Downloading on anyway so I can do it in chunks. Never knew about a cable.

Side note, I do wonder why sometimes when I shut my system down and DON'T have anything queued the system stays on for a couple minutes before shutting down. I wonder what it's doing?

why use a USB stick for your profile? just download your profile to all your consoles

As long as I have an internet connection on the non-licensed Xbox I can play my games right?

I use the USB stick because my old Xbox 360 isn't wireless and not on the internet. I may pick up a wireless card to connect it so that way I can ditch the USB stick.

Edited by cimerians

why use a USB stick for your profile? just download your profile to all your consoles

As long as I have an internet connection on the non-licensed Xbox I can play my games right?

I use the USB stick because my old Xbox 360 isn't wireless and not on the internet. I may pick up a wireless card to connect it so that way I can ditch the USB stick.

Oh I see. If I had your setup, I would've temporarily hooked up the old 360 and downloaded the gamertag profile so that the profile is on both consoles. Then take the old 360 offline and keep using it sans any kind of flash drive.