IGNORED

Sewer Sam and blueMSX

Ikrananka

I don't know if you've seen the thread I started on problems with Sewer Sam and blueMSX but would be great if you could check it out. I've been wondering about your optimized coleco29.asm CV BIOS and if that would have the same issue or not. Did you write your own Intro Skip by Fire Button portion of the code or is it the same as the compiled Intro Skip BIOS in the public domain? Do you have a compiled rom for your BIOS - I'd love to do some testing with it?

I don't know what difference the intro skip would make, but that basically went in before I even started optimizing.

http://xi6.com/code/coleco/

I doubt there will be any difference. I went to great effort to make sure that all the "undocumented" addresses used by every game released back in the day were fixed. (Those are indicated with "Axxxx" labels.)

Interphase was the worst offender of all, by completely ignoring the jump table and calling directly into ROM. Only 2 out of the 20 undocumented entry points they used were not in the jump table. If your code is so slow that you really need to save the clock cycles from a single extra jump instruction, for subroutines which execute many instructions, and you are probably only calling them 20 times a frame total, then you might as well just throw in the towel.

• 4 months later...

I think that skip bios mod isn't compatible with certain games. Thus far The Heist and Super Cross Force don't work in my Yurkie modded system. All my other 34 games work perfectly so I know it's not the system....well the actual unit not the modification.

Sux now I guess I gotta buy an actual non-modded colecovision : -( ...hopefully they are cheap on ebay, even if its bare bone system would be fine for me.

Wonder if Yurkie could add a switch for future units that has both regular bios and skip bios installed that you can switch between....seems like something to consider for future mods?

Not sure if it's do-able since I haven't personally done any of these mods.

I think that skip bios mod isn't compatible with certain games. Thus far The Heist and Super Cross Force don't work in my Yurkie modded system. All my other 34 games work perfectly so I know it's not the system....well the actual unit not the modification.

Sux now I guess I gotta buy an actual non-modded colecovision : -( ...hopefully they are cheap on ebay, even if its bare bone system would be fine for me.

Wonder if Yurkie could add a switch for future units that has both regular bios and skip bios installed that you can switch between....seems like something to consider for future mods?

Not sure if it's do-able since I haven't personally done any of these mods.

Heist and Super Cross Force work with the Intro Skip BIOS, your just not able to skip from the title screen to the menu screen. These games play just like they would with the original BIOS installed. There are other 3rd party games that function just like the Intro Skip BIOS is not installed. All the Coleco Industries games with a title screen that lasts 12 seconds before the game select(skill select) screen is the reason for the Intro Skip BIOS

- With Super Cross Force, wait until the games select screen comes up like it would if the Intro Skip BIOS was not installed.

- With the Heist press the * key to to start your game anytime after the title screen changes to the game play demo. Anytime when the game is in Demo mode press the * key and "level 1" will come up on the screen followed by the start of your game.

The only known game that has an issue with the Intro Skip BIOS is Sewer Sam. There is no known issue with ANY other original game, nor are there any issues with any of the homebrew games.

Edited by Yurkie

Yurkie: Oooohhh damn so that's what you meant by the * key to start the game anytime after the title screen changes to the game play demo...shit no wonder I never got it to work. Doh! I was pressing the * key at the title screen before the demo the whole time haha.

I'll give that a shot when I get home. Also I just noticed the super cross force has crap on the contacts so I'm gonna brasso them and hopefully that should get it to work.

Thanks for the advice! :)