Photo

What is the first RPG you beat? Ever?

105 replies to this topic

#26 MagitekAngel OFFLINE  

MagitekAngel

River Patroller

• 2,140 posts

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:03 PM

This thread invites an interesting discussion on just what an RPG is.
You could certainly make the case for Zelda, as it certainly shares some ideas with RPGs. Zelda II comes the closest mechanically, what with experience points and discrete skill levels and all that. But even to consider the series as a whole is to draw connexions. Your character is a blank slate and a silent protagonist, upon which you project your own heroic wish-fulfilments - you know, the original definition of role-playing. In most Zelda games you don't collect experience points, level up, or change class, but progressing through the game does make you stronger - your capacity to take punishment increases, your sword gets stronger, and you gradually amass an arsenal of weapons (and sometimes spells) that expand your options for attack and progression. There is certainly a clear emphasis placed on exploration, and most of the games have at least a few sidequests to take you off the beaten path.

So Zelda certainly has much in common with a "standard" RPG, to be sure. Personally, I would be more inclined to call it it's own thing, something original and different entirely. It's sort of like how when Wolfenstein 3D and Doom came out, they weren't "First Person Shooters". Doom was just Doom, and the games that came after it were "Doom Clones." Zelda, I would argue, is a similar case. Zelda is just Zelda.

#27 BydoEmpire OFFLINE  

BydoEmpire

River Patroller

• 2,210 posts

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:56 PM

I'm guessing it was either Dragon Warrior on the NES or Miracle Warriors on the SMS. I played a lot of RPGs on the c64 and Apple ][ (Bard's Tale, Might & Magic, Gold Box games, etc), but never finished any of them.

I had to call the Sega help line to finish Miracle Warriors - the final dungeon was hidden in the desert without any markings. You had to do something like leave a town, go up 8 and left 4 squares then search. I don't know how anyone could have found it without help.

Edited by BydoEmpire, Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:01 PM.

#28 Shawn Sr. OFFLINE  

Shawn Sr.

By Popular Demand

• 12,649 posts

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:26 PM

IT was either Dragon Warrior 1 or Final Fantasy 1 on the NES.

#29 Gregory DG OFFLINE  

Gregory DG

TAT IS BACK!

• 10,815 posts
  • Go Cardinals!

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:22 PM

Does Raiders of the Lost Ark on Atari 2600 count? ;)

#30 Legend OFFLINE  

Legend

Moonsweeper

• 346 posts

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:45 PM

Rogue.

#31 A_Locomotive OFFLINE  

A_Locomotive

Stargunner

• 1,458 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:19 AM

Pokemon Blue. I was a dumb kid and begged my dad to let me buy it because I saw this commercial and thought it was awesome. Bought it literally having no idea what kind of game it was.

#32 high voltage OFFLINE  

high voltage

River Patroller

• 3,431 posts
  • Location:America, Asia, Europe, Aus, Antartica, Africa, Outer Space

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:35 AM

Wizards Crown on A8, one of the best RPGs ever, actually many SSI RPGs are tops.

#33 aikainnet OFFLINE  

aikainnet

Moonsweeper

• 415 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:58 AM

Crystalis on the NES. If you can call it an RPG... otherwise it was Final Fantasy with Dragon Warrior I as a close second. I beat them within a day of eachother.

#34 Legend OFFLINE  

Legend

Moonsweeper

• 346 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:58 AM

Rogue.

Just kidding. Actually, it was Sword of Vermillion for Sega Genesis.

#35 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Your snarky overlord

• 22,199 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:05 AM

Wizards Crown on A8, one of the best RPGs ever, actually many SSI RPGs are tops.

I keep meaning to get around to playing that. I have it for my Apple II along with Eternal Dagger.

#36 Mendon OFFLINE  

Mendon

River Patroller

• 4,772 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:39 AM

Temple of Apshai and its add-on's, Upper Reaches of Apshai and Curse of Ra, for the Atari800.

Hmmm.... could Upper and Ra be considered the first ever DLC released????

Mendon

#37 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 20,921 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:22 AM

It's impossible to "win" that game.  You can revisit any level indefinately in all three variations...and just keep accumulating gold, experience, and stats when you exit them.  Wiping out Geb's Spirit with a single magic arrow is a quick way to boost constitution in Upper Reaches level 4 (if it attacks first, just reload).  It's released via traps in 2 of the monk's rooms on the far left.

Edited by Nukey Shay, Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:29 AM.

#38 riffraff OFFLINE  

riffraff

Dragonstomper

• 734 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:57 AM

I shied away from RPG's in the Apple 2 days (Wizardy, Ultima, etc.) because I just didn't get them as a child. The first RPG I ever beat was in the console days and it was the original Phantasy Star on the SMS.

Posted Image

It's funny - I beat this game before the Sega call-in Hint team had any notes on it at all. I sent my contact there a walkthru and a videotape of the ending, she was kind enough to send me a huge stack of SMS hints/cheats. Wish I knew where this stuff went.

As for first RPG beaten.. hmm. Does adventure count? Dragonstomper? I played Temple of Apshai but I'm sure I didn't beat it.. same with Oubliette. Wizardry 6 was a satisfying win. I put it as my favorite game of all time (at the time). I'd say it still resides in my top-10. There has to be one before Phantasy Star for me but my memory fails me.

#39 riffraff OFFLINE  

riffraff

Dragonstomper

• 734 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:59 AM

That would be Pool of Radiance on the C64 for me. Loved that game!

Epic, Epic game. That damned Lich near the end was hard as hell. I loved this game, you could fail a battle many times if you didn't use the right strategy/get lucky. Paralyze spell was the best. I hated not being able to level your characters past level 10 or whatever the max was.

#40 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 20,921 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:09 AM

Adventure/Dragonstomper:
The manuals for both of them describe the controllable onscreen character as being "you", so I'd say that they are.

#41 Atarian7 OFFLINE  

Atarian7

Stargunner

• 1,847 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:11 AM

Does Pitfall II count? How about Adventure?

#42 PeculiarSatyr OFFLINE  

PeculiarSatyr

Chopper Commander

• 160 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:45 PM

DragonWarrior

#43 thegoldenband OFFLINE  

thegoldenband

River Patroller

• 3,742 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:27 PM

I'm guessing that somewhere along the way, there may have been some super-primitive RPG-like BASIC program for the CoCo that I "beat" in the late 1980s.

Otherwise, assuming we're ruling out action RPGs like Zelda and Faxanadu, then the first one on my list is Dragon Warrior, and the second one is Final Fantasy. Both were in the early 1990s (possibly 1990 itself, but more likely 1991).

Somewhere in there I also finished Dungeons of Daggorath for CoCo, which was the first computer RPG I beat, though I'd first played it in the mid-1980s.

#44 Nateo OFFLINE  

Nateo

Stargunner

• 1,093 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:59 PM

I beat Pokemon Blue when I was about ten or eleven. After that, I think it was Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Then Dragon Warrior. Talk about working backwards.

#45 DemonoidTentacle OFFLINE  

DemonoidTentacle

Moonsweeper

• 410 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:34 PM

Surely LoZ doesn't count.

My first beaten would be Mystic Quest on the SNES. I loved it then, and I love it now. I don't understand all the hate it gets. I think a lot of people are missing the point of it. And it's got a bitchin' soundtrack.

#46 asponge OFFLINE  

asponge

Chopper Commander

• 206 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:29 AM

I don't think Legend of Zelda counts as an RPG either. Personally I put the Zelda games in the same category as the Metroid games: Adventure. Essentially the gameplay is the same. The environments and characters are just different.

The first RPG I beat was Final Fantasy I as well. The update/remake for GBA was fun as well.

#47 Kripto OFFLINE  

Kripto

Stargunner

• 1,334 posts
  • -Visible Invaders-

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:31 AM

Treasure of Tarmin for Intellivision, on a giant black and white TV while I had chicken pox. I remember the game kept throwing a battle with the final boss at me, trying to get me to finish when I wanted to keep playing.

#48 riffraff OFFLINE  

riffraff

Dragonstomper

• 734 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:50 AM

Ahhhhh yes... Treasure of Tarmin. Perhaps the only game where you do lethal combat with a door.

Before battery-backed saves or password saves, this would be the first one. How could I forget?

#49 Classic Pac OFFLINE  

Classic Pac

River Patroller

• 3,048 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:03 AM

The very 1st RPG I ever beat was Final Fantasy Legend 3 on the Gameboy

#50 cvga OFFLINE  

cvga

River Patroller

• 3,131 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:20 AM

This would probably be better as a separate topic (which text adventure have you beaten) but for me it would be Voodoo Castle from the Scott Adams text adventure series.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users