IGNORED

Who has played a full game of 2600 Chess on Hardest?

Yart

So I've heard of stories where it took the Atari 7 hours on the hardest difficulty setting to make a move on its Chess game. I remember turning it on and getting bored after waiting a few minutes staring at a blank screen as the poor CPU thought.

Has there been anyone insane enough to play through a full game of Chess on the 2600? Anyone actually play through a full game on the hardest setting? Seriously, I'm curious to know if ANYONE out there has ever had the patience to play a full Chess game on the Atari, so I can both slap and hug them for it.

Do a search.. I know there have been some recorded games in the past where they pitted 2600 Chess against Chessmaster or something like that. Also I believe the hardest difficulty levels were tried and I think that it ended up moving pieces illegally. But it's definitely been looked at

Not applicable.

Because the look-ahead routine is allowed to be abandoned prematurely while the pieces are still left in a "look-ahead" state (moving not only it's own, but some of yours as well), this can lead to any number of impossible game scenarios. An ELO rating does not apply where cheating is involved (however unintentional it might have been).

Not applicable.

Because the look-ahead routine is allowed to be abandoned prematurely while the pieces are still left in a "look-ahead" state (moving not only it's own, but some of yours as well), this can lead to any number of impossible game scenarios. An ELO rating does not apply where cheating is involved (however unintentional it might have been).

Guess atari assumed noone would actualy be crazy enough to try the hardest setting.

Interesting thread! I doubt 4k chess can involve a large enough matrice for hours of look ahead querying; a few minutes of calculation should suffice for the maximum calc depth attainable; multi-hour mode would seem to be just a marketing feature.

Quite excellent for a 4k chess program though, it could beat the Colour Chess cart for the CoCo hands down ;)

IMO the ChessMaster engine's 2000 rating was pretty close to the mark though the later grand master claims of 2500 and beyond (3000!?) were ridiculous.

Interesting thread! I doubt 4k chess can involve a large enough matrice for hours of look ahead querying; a few minutes of calculation should suffice for the maximum calc depth attainable; multi-hour mode would seem to be just a marketing feature. Quite excellent for a 4k chess program though, it could beat the Colour Chess cart for the CoCo hands down ;) IMO the ChessMaster engine's 2000 rating was pretty close to the mark though the later grand master claims of 2500 and beyond (3000!?) were ridiculous.

I figure it's doing something legitimate when the screen is blanking and flashing like that.