Photo

Who has played a full game of 2600 Chess on Hardest?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Yart OFFLINE  

Yart

Star Raider

• 56 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:40 AM

So I've heard of stories where it took the Atari 7 hours on the hardest difficulty setting to make a move on its Chess game. I remember turning it on and getting bored after waiting a few minutes staring at a blank screen as the poor CPU thought.

Has there been anyone insane enough to play through a full game of Chess on the 2600? Anyone actually play through a full game on the hardest setting? Seriously, I'm curious to know if ANYONE out there has ever had the patience to play a full Chess game on the Atari, so I can both slap and hug them for it.

#2 SoundGammon OFFLINE  

SoundGammon

Dragonstomper

• 646 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:56 AM

One could try it on Stella, using save state and and reloading it, let it think, save, load, think, save, load, think, save, load, think...I'm getting sleepy...

#3 batari OFFLINE  

batari

)66]U('=I;B$*

• 6,487 posts
  • begin 644 contest

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:21 AM

I've heard that memory overruns on the hardest setting so you probably couldn't play a full game even if you wanted to.

#4 NE146 ONLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 13,355 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:37 AM

Do a search.. I know there have been some recorded games in the past where they pitted 2600 Chess against Chessmaster or something like that. Also I believe the hardest difficulty levels were tried and I think that it ended up moving pieces illegally. But it's definitely been looked at

#5 Pioneer4x4 OFFLINE  

Pioneer4x4

River Patroller

• 2,014 posts
  • Atari + R.O.B. = Completed

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:46 AM

Can you set stella to run at max speed possible on your PC?

#6 roberto OFFLINE  

roberto

Dragonstomper

• 637 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:12 PM

what would be an approx Elo rating for the game at its hardest level? Around 1200?

#7 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 21,048 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:55 PM

Not applicable.
Because the look-ahead routine is allowed to be abandoned prematurely while the pieces are still left in a "look-ahead" state (moving not only it's own, but some of yours as well), this can lead to any number of impossible game scenarios. An ELO rating does not apply where cheating is involved (however unintentional it might have been).

#8 Syntaxerror999 OFFLINE  

Syntaxerror999

Dragonstomper

• 538 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:22 AM

Not applicable.
Because the look-ahead routine is allowed to be abandoned prematurely while the pieces are still left in a "look-ahead" state (moving not only it's own, but some of yours as well), this can lead to any number of impossible game scenarios. An ELO rating does not apply where cheating is involved (however unintentional it might have been).

Guess atari assumed noone would actualy be crazy enough to try the hardest setting.

#9 Tin_Lunchbox OFFLINE  

Tin_Lunchbox

Chopper Commander

• 234 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:36 AM

I had and liked Atari 2600/VCS chess. I think it was a Larry Kaplan one? I might've won a few times. I played the lower levels. I have also heard the legend that it cheats (or maybe it's a bug) at the highest level, but I can't confirm that on personal experience.

#10 Mr SQL OFFLINE  

Mr SQL

Dragonstomper

• 755 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:30 AM

Interesting thread! I doubt 4k chess can involve a large enough matrice for hours of look ahead querying; a few minutes of calculation should suffice for the maximum calc depth attainable; multi-hour mode would seem to be just a marketing feature.

Quite excellent for a 4k chess program though, it could beat the Colour Chess cart for the CoCo hands down ;)

IMO the ChessMaster engine's 2000 rating was pretty close to the mark though the later grand master claims of 2500 and beyond (3000!?) were ridiculous.

#11 NE146 ONLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 13,355 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:02 PM

http://forums.macrum...d=1#post2653328

http://www.atariage....ster-challenge/

Edited by NE146, Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:03 PM.

#12 Tin_Lunchbox OFFLINE  

Tin_Lunchbox

Chopper Commander

• 234 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:33 AM

Interesting thread! I doubt 4k chess can involve a large enough matrice for hours of look ahead querying; a few minutes of calculation should suffice for the maximum calc depth attainable; multi-hour mode would seem to be just a marketing feature. Quite excellent for a 4k chess program though, it could beat the Colour Chess cart for the CoCo hands down ;) IMO the ChessMaster engine's 2000 rating was pretty close to the mark though the later grand master claims of 2500 and beyond (3000!?) were ridiculous.

I figure it's doing something legitimate when the screen is blanking and flashing like that.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users