IGNORED

Questions about BB 1.1

Lodmot

Hi. I'm working on a new major project for the 2600, but I realized just now that (at least with the current build of batari Basic) what I intended to do with the game is impossible. I wanted to use the multisprite kernel to have 6 sprites on the screen at once, and have asymmetric playfields to define the different stages. I also wanted to make a custom level editor for the game, so players could build their own levels by dragging a crosshair around the screen and placing playfield pixels.

I found out that there's a new version of BB that has a slew of new features, and I'm wondering, could I achieve the above with this new version?

Thanks.

Edited by Lodmot

What the breasts??

I've been searching for information about bB 1.1 for like an hour, and there was a different version of VisualBB that I completely missed?

xDDDDD

But anyway, thanks for the help. Now I can actually make my new project the way I intended. ^^

Edited by Lodmot

Speaking of bugs, I just found something weird.

If I test a collision for player1 and the playfield, it also registers when players 2-9 collide with the playfield.

So to try and get around it, I changed player1 to player7. Now the compiler shows an error saying error: Illegal Addressing mode 'bit '.

However, it still actually compiles and the game runs fine. But even then, the character that's player7 still moves through the playfield.

• 7 months later...

I have a question, too! I haven't been around for a long time, and have missed all the updates to bBasic. I'm excited about the changes that I'm reading about, but am a little confused. Do all the great new multisprite features like 10 sprites and such ONLY work with the Harmony/Melody cartridge hardware, or will most of these work with standard hardware as well? Are any of the new features available on standard cartridges? The next game I want to make will need to be burned onto a standard cartridge. I don't want to get excited about all these new features and find out they are useless to me, because they can't be burned to a normal cartridge.

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide! :)

I have a question, too!

You might also want to know that the version of bB that includes the DPC+ stuff isn't like getting the near-perfect standard kernel with DPC+ added (as if it were icing on top of a cake). Some things no longer work properly if you try to use the standard kernel with the version of bB that has the DPC+ stuff included. (The DPC+ stuff is more like icing made of acid that is burning holes down into the cake.)

Since I'm not going to use the DPC+ stuff until most of the bugs have been eliminated, I had to go back to the previous version of bB so the standard kernel would work properly.

The 10 sprites is DPC+ only. You'll need Melody, Harmony, or the Stella emulator to use it.

Bummer :_(

You might also want to know that the version of bB that includes the DPC+ stuff isn't like getting the near-perfect standard kernel with DPC+ added (as if it were icing on top of a cake). Some things no longer work properly if you try to use the standard kernel with the version of bB that has the DPC+ stuff included. (The DPC+ stuff is more like icing made of acid that is burning holes down into the cake.)

Bigger bummer! :_( I guess not much has changed for me, then! :sad:

If you've been away, you may have missed another development, the Titlescreen Kernel. No DPC+ required.

Woo hoo!!! :D That should be fun at least! ;)

Since I'm not going to use the DPC+ stuff until most of the bugs have been eliminated, I had to go back to the previous version of bB so the standard kernel would work properly.

Is there a newer "standard" version than 1.0? If so, do you know where I can get it? The official batari site has not been updated in a long time.

Thanks for your help!! It is greatly appreciated! ;-)

Is there a newer "standard" version than 1.0? If so, do you know where I can get it? The official batari site has not been updated in a long time.

Thanks for your help!! It is greatly appreciated! ;-)

I use the bBWin7_64bit.zip talked about here:

How to 'Install' Visual batari Basic on a Windows PC

I also grabbed the latest version of VbB from jwierer's blog:

Small update for VisualbB

The new version of VbB lets me do this:

What's So Great About VbB's 'Convert to Data File'?

• Like 1

Thanks, RT, you're the best! :) One more question. I noticed that AtariAge is now selling their homebrews on Melody carts instead of standard, old fashioned carts. It is my understanding that these carts are bB 1.1 compatible. Does anyone know if AtariAge would "burn" a single custom melody cartridge for their customers? If so, do you know how much they cost and what the turnaround time would be? If AtariAge is willing to burn a single cartridge for me at a reasonable price, I might be able to use the new features in 1.1 after all! :jango: (the project I'm thinking about would be a gift for someone--I just need one cartridge).