IGNORED

Tomy Turnin’ Turbo Dashboard repair

Ataritard

I bought one of these in great cosmetic but nonworking condition. I've got it to run and the road to move. It shifts properly now and makes the right sounds. The speed and fuel gauge changes like it's supposed to. There is even a feature I stumbled upon to make the road flash off and on while you are driving.

I'd say I've got it 90 percent there but the problem I have is when in third and forth gear it seems to bog down and stop. I can get it going again by shifting gears, but I don't think it's meant to do this. It feels like the problem is inside the white box that houses all the plastic gears. I don't care to take this apart for fear of all the gears springing out and never getting it back together.

Can I just spray something like WD-40 into the gear box or is there another kind of fix for these Tomy mechanical toys?

• Like 1

I bought one a while back also, just to relive some childhood memories. Back in the day a 'big kid' stole mine right in front of me! :(

When I first got it a year or so ago I took it apart to see how it worked, its pretty amazing huh?!?!

I can't remember much about it now, I don't think wd-40 would hurt anything, but its not the recommended long term fix if gear lube is your actual problem.

How do you make the road flash?

I bought one a while back also, just to relive some childhood memories. Back in the day a 'big kid' stole mine right in front of me! :(

When I first got it a year or so ago I took it apart to see how it worked, its pretty amazing huh?!?!

I can't remember much about it now, I don't think wd-40 would hurt anything, but its not the recommended long term fix if gear lube is your actual problem.

It is pretty cool how they work. I'll do my best to describe what I did to make the road flash...

With the cover off and in the back there is a light blue gear with four points that periodically turns clockwise, and two side by side metal flaps that touch each other (ignoring the T-shaped one). When the gear turns, it is supposed to push the flap on the left away from the flap on the right, disconnecting the circuit for the light. For this to happen, bend the flap on the right, slightly to the right, to where it barely touches the flap on the left.

That will make more sense when you are looking at it so I'll post a picture of it. It's a neat effect and you can bend the thing back if you don't like it.

post-20973-0-09613300-1335070842_thumb.jpg

What, he like just picked it up and walked away with it?...that sucks! I was watching a lot of these vids on youtube about the Tomy Turnin Turbo...it looks kinda neat for its time but it doesn't really look like a 'game', just something that was probably a lot of fun way back when you were easily impressed, lol.

What, he like just picked it up and walked away with it?...that sucks!

Yes, yes it did... But I showed him! I waited 25+ years and bought another one! :P

I was watching a lot of these vids on youtube about the Tomy Turnin Turbo...it looks kinda neat for its time but it doesn't really look like a 'game', just something that was probably a lot of fun way back when you were easily impressed, lol.

Yeah for a young'n in the early 80's it was almost as much fun as a huge empty cardboard box, almost!

The most impressive thing about it now is how it works, totally mechanical, it's like looking at the movement of an old pocket watch, totally mesmerizing, at least for me anyway...

Well...at least I can now say that there is a racing game out there that has worse AI than "Need For Speed: The Run". :-D

That one is different than mine, mine has no car parked on the side of the road and instead of what looked like a permanently straight road, the bottom of the screen shifts right and left and you have to actually steer the car a little to avoid the trees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=boNTsSFBKD0

Great video clips!...but just to be sure, this wasn't an actual 'game', was it? There was no penalty to crashing into anything, like that other Formula One game with the annoying whining engine sound and big red 'CRASH!' light?

Yeah it has a game element to it iirc, the trip meter will not add up 'points' if you got off the road...

I'd have to play it again to be sure.

BTW this jewel has a facebook page. I shows a version that makes you dodge cars in the road and honestly that seems more familiar than the one I have now, but it was too long ago...