IGNORED

Classic computer emulation on the NEW iPad.

If you have the NEW iPad, you still have some classic computer emulation options available even if there is no jailbreak yet.

Best of FTA for Apple II emulation. You can copy your disk images onto your iPad with iExplorer. This tutorial still applies.

ipad3a2.jpg

and of course if you purchased iDOS from the app store before it was yanked it still works perfectly on the NEW iPad.

Turbo C++ and Kings Quest looking good.

ipad3turboc.jpg

ipad3kq1.jpg

Edited by dudeslife

Is it really that great?

I always found touchypoke controls for arcade games to be a train wreck.

it's all relative. Since I can't tote an actual arcade machine in my bag, I have to make a few sacrifices like learning to use the virtual stick and buttons. Some games are better than others. I love it, but I am a child of the 80s.

Edited by dudeslife

• 9 months later...

Blah blah blah, abusive behavior blah blah blah, that's extremely dramatic. It's their business model that they chose for reasons that do make sense for them, and it works just fine for a heck of a lot of people. For those, such as yourself, who don't like that business model, there's plenty of other options, so go buy those. No one at all is hurt when there's other options and competition. Deal with it.

Edited by Mirage
  • Like 1

For those, such as yourself, who don't like that business model, there's plenty of other options, so go buy those. No one at all is hurt when there's other options and competition. Deal with it.

That's true, for as long as those other business models continue to exist. Apple has been so profitable with this model that every computer company is heading the same way. Look at Windows 8 and secure boot. Intel no longer selling socketed processors, etc. There are very real economic network effects here. The more money you give Apple, the less incentive other companies have to make open platforms. When the market becomes too small, economies of scale go away. It is a very realistic possibility that general purpose computers will simply not be sold in the future.

When you buy a car with the hood welded shut, you make that an acceptable business practice. Enough years of that, and suddenly I'm the weirdo for wanting a car I can fix myself.

• Like 2

I don't get it. As a hapless consumer sheep the last power we have is to choose with our money. If one doesn't like Apples business model then one doesn't buy Apple. Whoever DOES get your money prospers. Pining for Apple but wanting it your way then using the excuse that everyone will buy Apple anyway.. is confusing at best.

• Like 2

Intel no longer selling socketed processors, etc.

What does that have to do with anything? The era where you have to update the CPU drastically every 30 seconds is gone. So what?

It is a very realistic possibility that general purpose computers will simply not be sold in the future.

No it isn't.

When you buy a car with the hood welded shut, you make that an acceptable business practice. Enough years of that, and suddenly I'm the weirdo for wanting a car I can fix myself.

Who would weld a car hood shut? How would the certified mechanics work on it?

• Like 1

Yeah, I mean I hate Apple products, but not for some doofy reason like "ITS GONA DOOM THE WORDL!"

I just don't like touchy pokey crap in general, there's not alot of games that interest me (except for that Ultima 3 thing), all the software I personally use isn't for the Mac (and the equivalents aren't what I need or are way too expensive), the white hardware gets all gross after awhile, I can't fiddle around in them unless I can find my screwdriver that is barely visible to the naked eye, and they're really expensive and as a result, have no bang for the buck.

plus, Macintosh apples are gross. Give me fuji.

This doesn't mean I won't USE one. I just won't go buy one. I use my friends mac computer all the time, and sometimes steal my sisters Ipad to play around on when she visits. Let everyone else waste the money. I just want to play around when I feel like it. ;)

Plus, the Apple ][ is better, anyway.

bwahahaa

Yep, and that's all fine and good. Apple isn't for everyone just like Microsoft or Android isn't for everyone. To each their own. That's the beauty of a free market. Those of us who see all the beautiful things about Apple products, do, and who cares if someone else likes something else. I just hate when every third thread turns into anti-Apple angst (or anti-MS or anti-Android, or anti-whatever). Give me a break. I hate Microsoft (moreso their older products than their newer ones), but I don't go spouting off all my very good (for my needs/tastes) reasons for not liking their products at every half imagined opportunity. Boring as shit hearing all this crap over and over, blah blah blah...

Edited by Mirage

Yeah.

I think my only gripe over Apple that doesn't apply so much for the rest is that annoying marketing campaign they went on where they made fun of PC and accidentally bred a generation of cult followers that repeat the commercials verbatim as their argument for why they bought the thing. But, you can't really blame a company for all of the goons who can't think for themselves!

• Like 1

Intel no longer selling socketed processors, etc.

post-16281-0-72224700-1360701813_thumb.jpg to the rescue!

I hope Intel does this. AMD needs all the help it can, to stay in business. They're behind in high-end processor performance, but their products are still damn good.

Maybe this will give them back the edge with enthusiasts and system builders.Intel's stuff is awesome too, but rooting for the competition will keep them in check.

Regardless of the Apple business model (which, evidently, works quite well or it wouldn't be so popular), I think it's Google and Samsung that are the 500-lb gorillas that need to be kept in-check. If it were not for Apple, they'd have a monopoly locked on the phone market like Microsoft used to with the PCs. So which entity is truly the "evil" one?

The "locking down" of the Apple stuff is lame with respect to the emulators and stuff being pulled from the store, but it has some plusses - at least that's what the guys who have them tell me. Isn't the Apple stuff more secure? Real programmers told me that (1) they don't make any money making Android apps, but they do with Apple apps. The also said that there are several different versions of Android and so many different phones that when writing an app, they have to test it on 14 different phones to find the ones that their app looks "broken" on. When writing for iOS, it's considerably easier - and more importantly - they make money.

Like everything else in life, I don't see it as all or nothing. Everything's full of advantages and disadvantages. Few things absolutely kick-ass or absolutely suck. One of the disadvantages I see is the non-removable battery in the Apple stuff. I'm surprised the public doesn't demand this, but, on the other hand, I don't see that many complaints, so maybe their batteries are of some super-quality or something.

• Like 1

Yes, advantages and disadvantages, exactly.

An aside: I have a 17" MBP from 2009 with the built-in battery. I was skeptical at first, but haven't had any issues at all. And it's not like you can't get a new one if you need it, you just take it in. Again, a lot of angst about nothing.