IGNORED

Solution to problem of some 2600 games not fitting the 7800 cart slot

SRGilbert

I've seen these before, and never really though much about them. When I saw one this weekend for $10 at a game shop, I thought what the heck, it's cool to have even if I don't use it. It wasn't until I got it home that it occurred to me that this might actually be very useful. Turn out that it's perfect for the task of what I said in the title: it works great as a pass-through for 2600 games that won't fit in an unmodified 7800!

For a while, I've been using a 7800 exclusively for 2600 games (to save much needed space and inputs) but now I can finally play those games that just wouldn't fit, like Jawbreaker!

Not sure if there will be any picture degradation yet, and whether the switch part is much use, but still it's pretty cool to me! :)

post-12780-0-63148000-1335140063_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I hadn't thought of that. One note: I remember reading somewhere that some of those multi-cart devices are not really designed well. Some, I think, send power to all the carts plugged in, even though only one is selected for play, possibly putting unnecessary stress on the Atari power supply and maybe even other components inside the 2600 (or 7800 as the case may be). This might be a non-issue if you only plug one cart at a time into it, though.

Somewhere in these forums a few years back, I think somebody made a "2600 cart for the 7800" that was just an extender as a joke (maybe Shawn Sr?).

That thread would be fun to dig up again, but it's hard to search for the terms "2600", "7800", and "cartridge" on these forums to get meaningful results.

Maybe someone here remembers the thread.

You can also use a high-score-cart, too.

-John

Might also be good for certain games on a heavy sixer. I know my copy of Barnstorming has some issues.

My heavy sixer always had issues with Canyon Bomber. My dad bought and returned 6 copies of it back-in-the-day from different stores and it never worked [wouldn't respond to the difficulty switches or something]...

Well the xm is supposed to make some hard to fit 2600 games fit.. we will have to see when it comes out.

True, but I guess I meant a CHEAP solution that is available right now, and something that a lot of us might even have sitting around but never thought about.

• 3 weeks later...