IGNORED

Never take an Atari Lynx on an airplane

Master Phruby

I took my Atari Lynx in its case with a bunch of games and the D-cell power unit to the airport. I put it thru the TSA x-ray machines and they freaked out!

The security people were called and wanted to know what this was. They thought it was a bomb because of the wires and D-cells. I told them it was a classic handheld game system. After about a half hour of showing the that it was functional and wouldn't explode, they let me take it on the airplane but it had to be bag checked. Somehow it survived being thrown in with the rest of the luggage. I had to ship it home when I flew home a week later.

I´ve taken my Lynx I with me as hand luggage. They looked at me as if I´d come from the past...some security guys couldn´t resist smiling...

Unfortunately after traveling by plane this Lynx didn´t respond anymore...probably high altitude or sun winds.... :(

Haha, funny stuff. I used to have this robotic bank as a kid that I loved, took it on a plane & wound up having to explain (as a six-year old) that it was a bank & would not murder the passengers & crew.

Also freaked out an x-ray operator by taking a rubber souvenir (though full-sized) skull in my carry-on. "That guy got a HAYD in that bag!"

• Like 3

In 2009 I didn't have a problem leaving Nashville (BNA) with Lynx stuff but on the return trip from Chicago (ORD) they stopped me and did chemical analysis on all of my games. That was the last time I've flown. I probably wouldn't take old games on the plane again just because of the hassle.

Crazy world...now they keep searching you just because you´re into vintage electronics......

Chemical analysis...how stupid is that...they should use their brains instead...sad story.

In 2009 I didn't have a problem leaving Nashville (BNA) with Lynx stuff but on the return trip from Chicago (ORD) they stopped me and did chemical analysis on all of my games. That was the last time I've flown. I probably wouldn't take old games on the plane again just because of the hassle.

Crazy world...now they keep searching you just because you´re into vintage electronics......

Chemical analysis...how stupid is that...they should use their brains instead...sad story.

They basically took q-tip swabs and wiped my stuff down. Then analyzed it with some kind of computer. It was really quite funny. Considering that I was able to ride it on the plane there and get off in their airport with it, but not return to where I came from.

• 2 weeks later...

As a frequent flyer, I see this sort of nonsense all the time. I used to have an Audi that had the switchblade type key, before they were used on VWs, and security would always want to look at it because it had a battery in it and the switchblade action. A few years ago I drove to a buddy's bachelor party and brought my overnight duffel bag that I also use on business trips. Anyway, I saved a knife we bought at the bachelor party in the duffel bag and a few weeks later when I flew somewhere for work I was unpacking and found the knife in my bag after the flight. So I flew with a real 6" knife in my bag, but would get stopped for a car key.

TSA is useless, one look at the majority of those employees will tell you that.

Yeah me too.

I often carry electronics too. I've learned to check batteries and such. But they will often freak out over wires, development boards and such...

Most of the time, they call somebody over, and then I get waved through. Once in a while somebody just doesn't get it, and it's ugly.

One time, in San Jose, they went nuts! I was coming back from an expo and had a fair amount of gear. They spread it all on a table and started grilling me! I got so frustrated I started giving wierd names to the stuff just to see whether or not they actually understood or were just profiling me.

They were totally bluffing, profiling the whole way! They would point to something, and I would say, "Oh yeah! That's my flux capacitor", something else, "Dilithium Crystals", etc... Was hilarious, and I so wish I had video!

If this happens, smile and express genuine interest in helping them to understand what is what. They will read you more than the gear. As for fat batteries? Check 'em. They generally trigger on "D" cells, but they won't blink at one of those RC car battery packs. Bundle up the wires neatly, so they don't see a mess on the screen.

Interestingly, neat packing works. Every time I was searched, I was in a hurry and the stuff was just jumbled in there. When it's neat, perhaps batteries and massive stuff on one side, wires packaged, gear on the other, no issues. Also you can put massive things like batteries in the tray. When they see them, they don't look twice. A battery looks like a battery.