IGNORED

Use that old Monitor - Atari option

I was looking to use a 20inch monitor I had around on my Atari 800/800XL computer. I first bought the video cable that offerred Atari monitor to RCA (2-sound, 1-video) for about $8 on eBay. Then I finally found the analog to VGA convertor box (this was hard to find, and at a good price)! This was around $24, got it at sewelldirect.com.

Then I already had the cable to go RCA sound female to PC speakers. And I was done!!

post-27608-0-56642700-1335309976_thumb.jpg

post-27608-0-37010300-1335309980_thumb.jpg

post-27608-0-02686600-1335309985_thumb.jpg

post-27608-0-20193900-1335309989_thumb.jpg

post-27608-0-95198400-1335309993_thumb.jpg

post-27608-0-03628400-1335310001_thumb.jpg

post-27608-0-37299200-1335310006_thumb.jpg

Edited by chrislynn5

Unfortunately, A) it doesn't do a 1:1 scan conversion, it drops frames.. so any of the kewl "custom graphics modes" such as COLRVIEW, RIP, HIP, etc. won't work right (the extra colors will be wrong or not show up at all).. B) it looks like fuzzed-out crap compared to a decent chroma/luma/s-video native-input monitor.. You wont be able to read 80 column text on it worth a shit.. C) Light guns wont work with it.. D)chroma/luma(svideo)/composite to VGA/RGB scan converters have been extensively discussed/reviewed on here MANY times on this exact forum.. Some are halfway decent.. The vast majority of them suck in one way or another.. A little reading saves you alot of wasted money/time/effort..

Unfortunately, A) it doesn't do a 1:1 scan conversion, it drops frames.. so any of the kewl "custom graphics modes" such as COLRVIEW, RIP, HIP, etc. won't work right (the extra colors will be wrong or not show up at all).. B) it looks like fuzzed-out crap compared to a decent chroma/luma/s-video native-input monitor.. You wont be able to read 80 column text on it worth a shit.. C) Light guns wont work with it.. D)chroma/luma(svideo)/composite to VGA/RGB scan converters have been extensively discussed/reviewed on here MANY times on this exact forum.. Some are halfway decent.. The vast majority of them suck in one way or another.. A little reading saves you alot of wasted money/time/effort..

Why are you always so negative Metalguy.... Maybe what he has serves him well, and he is content, why do you have to spoil it for him.!!!.

Edited by atari8warez

Why are you such a retard? Maybe I was just restating the obvious for the benefit of some who evidently missed it (the last 5+ times it was discussed in here).. I don't doubt that for the sole purpose of playing run-of-the-mill classic games, some may be perfectly satisfied with the mediocre performance/output of a device like that. However, there are also plenty of people on here who would be very disapointed for the reasons I stated above..

"negativity" is irrelavent. What I stated is the truth, and if it gives punk-assed fairys like you some kind of panty-rash, then that's too bad.

I thought it was fair for Metalguy to point out the deficiencies of the setup, unless you are told what it does not do well you will miss out on the graphical excellence.

BUT, the name calling isn't needed metal, 'retard' and 'punk assed fairy' just drops the tone of your advice and cheapens it.

• Like 1

This was a post to show that for just a few bucks you can reuse a monitor without cracking open your machine or expense video upgrades. Not a comparision. Just a specific device I found that does the job. And it looks a lot better than you state, but isn't perfect.

Edited by chrislynn5

Why are you such a retard? Maybe I was just restating the obvious for the benefit of some who evidently missed it (the last 5+ times it was discussed in here).. I don't doubt that for the sole purpose of playing run-of-the-mill classic games, some may be perfectly satisfied with the mediocre performance/output of a device like that. However, there are also plenty of people on here who would be very disapointed for the reasons I stated above..

"negativity" is irrelavent. What I stated is the truth, and if it gives punk-assed fairys like you some kind of panty-rash, then that's too bad.

Maybe a little less caffeine will help with the aggression and lack of sleep at 4AM :grin:

• Like 1

There's no reason to to resort to name calling. You basically came into someone else's thread and stated how stupid they were for trying something because they didn't comb every thread on AA to see if it had been tried before. If you have helpful advice then give it, if you just want to chastise someone then go elsewhere. You're a very knowledgeable guy on Atari 8-bit stuff, but that doesn't give you the right to be an ass about it.

Consider this a warning.

• Like 1

I was looking to use a 20inch monitor I had around on my Atari 800/800XL computer. I first bought the video cable that offerred Atari monitor to RCA (2-sound, 1-video) for about $8 on eBay. Then I finally found the analog to VGA convertor box (this was hard to find, and at a good price)! This was around $24, got it at sewelldirect.com.

Then I already had the cable to go RCA sound female to PC speakers. And I was done!!

That's a nice solution for someone who already has a VGA monitor hooked to a PC and taking up desk space.

For me, the old monitors (geometry distortion, scanlines and all) are part of the overall feel of the retro technology, so I would probably not do this except in a pinch.

Other than locating an old, good condition composite color monitor or doing your composite-to-VGA bridge, some other solutions I've tried:

Direct connection to an HDTV: very clean looking, but with the limits MetalGuy mentions. Added plus, you can use an Svideo to Y/C cable adapter and use Y/C output.

Direct connection to a PICO projector: good way to get a portable composite big screen, but has all the limitations above, plus it's dim in just about any amount of light.

Direct connection to a portable screen: I've direct connected to the little 5"-9" LCD gaming displays that snap onto an Xbox or PlayStation. These little screens are low resolution, but fine for Atari, and they are dirt cheap, light and small. They work but with all the limitations pointed out above. I've toyed with the idea of mounting one in an Atari-style case. Added plus, you can use an Svideo to Y/C cable adapter and use Y/C output.

Direct connection to an old tube TV: I've found that wal-mart used to sell a 20" $99 dollar flat screen tube TV (under names like Sylvania and Emerson) that supports composite and svideo input, and is relatively small and light (for a tube TV, owing to its cheap construction). The nice thing about these TVs is they are becoming dirt common finds at places like goodwill. You can often find a nice one for $5-$10. You can recognize this TV by its flat screen and flat silver color plastic finish. This TV actually looks pretty nice next to an Atari XL.

Thanx, I'll have to look at some of those. I was using a older tube TV and the orignal video out RCA plug. Then moved to monitor out to RCA's. What I like about the flat monitor on my desk is that I can code on my laptop and maintain the 800 next to me and fire it up on that old LCD without taking up a lot of space.

I still remember playing my Atari 400 in '82-'83 on a small black and white TV :)

What is funny is that Walmart also have 20" LCD's for $90 right now, what a sign of the times. I picked one up for a Jamma arcade project I'm working on.

I assume these old machines wouldn't get past CGA/VGA resolution to hook up on HD? Why would you? Thanx.

Edited by chrislynn5

I thought it was fair for Metalguy to point out the deficiencies of the setup, unless you are told what it does not do well you will miss out on the graphical excellence.

BUT, the name calling isn't needed metal, 'retard' and 'punk assed fairy' just drops the tone of your advice and cheapens it.

Graphical excellence?, on an Atari 8 bit with 1980's graphics capabilities?................ But this is besides the point. Obviously chris wasn't looking for graphical excellence, he just wanted to use his 20" LCD monitor with his Atari and as far as his objective is concerned he achieved that and was happy about it, just wanted to share his experience.

I see no point for someone dropping in his thread just to tell him that he could have done better and that he didn't do a good job of looking through the threads etc etc. and as if this is not enough, come back and insult other people too just because they find his post pointless. After all chris DID NOT ASK for input, he just posted his experience.

Taking the quest in achieving excellence in an obsessive and absurd way is simply annoying and can give the obsessor a stress related heart attack.. ;)

Edited by atari8warez

I bought that exact video converter for use with a VGA monitor and VGA projector, though I don't think I ever used my 8-bit with it. It was for other composite video sources.

it worked pretty good, though it still wasn't as sharp on either my CRT VGA monitor or my LCD projector as direct video/S-video was on the LCD projector.

Also, it lasted for just under a year and died.

I use it as a paper weight now.

post-149-0-93993600-1335398715_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-42134900-1335398740_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

Did I ever mention, one day my 26 years old 130XE surprised the hell out of me when I first booted it into BASIC.

The photo shows what really happened

I guess that's a price to pay for buying a $2 version of the infamous USB based video converter from Hong Kong.... :grin:

post-15627-0-79273900-1335402121_thumb.jpg

post-15627-0-65672900-1335402149_thumb.jpg

Edited by atari8warez

I guess I should also expect a similar reaction from my Olympus digital camera for buying this remote control for only $2 too (this time from China). Actually I've even got two of them (received an extra shipment, probably by mistake), so it's really a buck including shipping!!!!, and the amazing thing THEY DO WORK, for a while at least.... but the point is we are sometimes happy with what we have and leave the search for excellence to others who are rarely ever satisfied with anything.

post-15627-0-62597600-1335403247_thumb.jpg

Edited by atari8warez

Also, note one of the main reasons I posted this was because I tried many devices to convert analog to VGA. For the price, this one can't be beat. They're not easy to find, but I'm sure a few of you already have sources and old projects doing this.

Graphical excellence?, on an Atari 8 bit with 1980's graphics capabilities?................ But this is besides the point. Obviously chris wasn't looking for graphical excellence, he just wanted to use his 20" LCD monitor with his Atari and as far as his objective is concerned he achieved that and was happy about it, just wanted to share his experience.

I see no point for someone dropping in his thread just to tell him that he could have done better and that he didn't do a good job of looking through the threads etc etc. and as if this is not enough, come back and insult other people too just because they find his post pointless. After all chris DID NOT ASK for input, he just posted his experience.

Taking the quest in achieving excellence in an obsessive and absurd way is simply annoying and can give the obsessor a stress related heart attack.. ;)

Wow, so many words for so little reason, did you bother to actually read it or simply be annoyed that someone posted in a small way to say Metalguy as right in some ways, I know he's not your fave person but don't make the mistake that any person is a target because you feel annoyed!

Graphical excellence was a joke, any fool would see that, the joke being exactly what you replied with regarding it.

More importantly, this wasn't a critique of Chris, it was saying that although Chris was happy with it and I'm actually genuinely happy for Chris, he's a great Atarian, it was that ANYONE ELSE should know the short comings of the system he used, and THAT I think is a fair and helpful post, that's why I replied.

So please, vent at some one else, this old man posts as he feels fit!

EDIT:

Jebus!!

I just saw you posts after the caustic reply to me, for god's sake let it go man, you talked about the problems of obsessing to me and then I see the exact same issue coming from you in bucket loads!

Not good...

By the way, stop using the word excellence regarding me, I'm an unemployed through illness person with hardly a pot to pee in, I CAN'T afford EXCELLENCE, I buy the same cheap stuff as you and I'm happy with it.

Edited by Mclaneinc

I bought that exact video converter for use with a VGA monitor and VGA projector, though I don't think I ever used my 8-bit with it. It was for other composite video sources.

it worked pretty good, though it still wasn't as sharp on either my CRT VGA monitor or my LCD projector as direct video/S-video was on the LCD projector.

Yea, I can see a very negative downside to this. Cheap quality. :) My screen shot is off of a NEC 20" LCD that is 8-9 years old, state of the art when I got it.

Yea, I can see a very negative downside to this. Cheap quality. :) My screen shot is off of a NEC 20" LCD that is 8-9 years old, state of the art when I got it.

You may get a longer life span out of it than me though, depending on how often it is used. I used mine on a nearly daily basis for several hours. I did notice on occasion that the case was quite warm when in use. Maybe less use and good airflow will make it last longer. Maybe even remove it from the solidly enclosed case with poor venting.

Edited by Gunstar

You may get a longer life span out of it than me though, depending on how often it is used. I used mine on a nearly daily basis for several hours. I did notice on occasion that the case was quite warm when in use. Maybe less use and good airflow will make it last longer. Maybe even remove it from the solidly enclosed case with poor venting.

When and if it goes bad, check the power supply caps first. I just fixed a 20" Samsung monitor for $2 replacing 2 bad electrolytic capacitors, works like new again (that's the monitor seen on the photo a few messages back)

So does this old man ;-) , I am probably older than you and I have nothing against you. It just bothers me that someone is always critical of everything. This is a hobby and hobbies are meant to be enjoyed, not taken as seriously as some of us do. After all nobody is expecting miracles from ages old computer systems and it's simply not worth to be nasty to people who are still enjoying them out of nostalgia... I guess some people never grow out of teenage years.

Edited by atari8warez

So does this old man ;-) , I am probably older than you and I have nothing against you. It just bothers me that someone is always critical of everything. This is a hobby and hobbies are meant to be enjoyed, not taken as seriously as some of us do. After all nobody is expecting miracles from ages old computer systems and it's simply not worth to be nasty to people who are still enjoying them out of nostalgia... I guess some people never grow out of teenage years.

I have no wish to fall out with ANYONE on here and us oldies have to stick together to teach the young a thing or two :)

I genuinely wasn't trying to pour scorn on Chris's setup and if Chris thinks I did then I apologise unreservedly to him, as I said I just was saying that it was good to point out what you might miss out on by using the same setup, in no way was this meant to be a negative point.

I know you and MG don't see eye to eye but I wasn't attempting to pick a fight, that's not my way.

I love my old Atari, its been very good to me, it paid the bills and gave me a great job for a long time but now its merely a fun hobby, I don't expect miracles from it but I'm happy when someone like yourself does something for it.

Anyway, I propose and end to this, there's no one on these forums I have an issue with, we might have the odd difference of opinion sometimes but I have nothing but admiration for the folks on here including yourself.

Paul. (50 and past it)

Also, note one of the main reasons I posted this was because I tried many devices to convert analog to VGA. For the price, this one can't be beat. They're not easy to find, but I'm sure a few of you already have sources and old projects doing this.

This looks identical to the one I got from monoprice. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=4722&seq=1&format=2

Looks like you got quite a deal on yours, it's not often I see something undercutting monoprice.