IGNORED

Dont you just hate it when places like Flea markets overcharge?

There’s a local used game store where I live and their prices are generally quite steep on the retro stuff. It bugged me at first but then I realized that if they sold their stuff at or near the prices you would find at a yard sale, they wouldn’t even be able to keep their lights on. They’re a business, not an institution for the no-profit distribution of old junk.

Sure, there are reasonable limits on everything and some guys are out to lunch on their pricing, but you should expect to pay a premium in a store that makes its profit by marking things up.

I don’t mind paying for the convenience once in a while. For example, I think I paid $8 for a copy of Kaboom at that store. I know I could find it cheaper, or perhaps as part of a larger lot for not much more, but I really wanted it and all I had to do was walk in and grab it. Big deal--$8. I spend more than that on coffee in 2-3 days. I’m glad there’s a store like that in my area, so I support the idea of them profiting.

• Like 1

There’s a local used game store where I live and their prices are generally quite steep on the retro stuff. It bugged me at first but then I realized that if they sold their stuff at or near the prices you would find at a yard sale, they wouldn’t even be able to keep their lights on. They’re a business, not an institution for the no-profit distribution of old junk.

Sure, there are reasonable limits on everything and some guys are out to lunch on their pricing, but you should expect to pay a premium in a store that makes its profit by marking things up.

I don’t mind paying for the convenience once in a while. For example, I think I paid $8 for a copy of Kaboom at that store. I know I could find it cheaper, or perhaps as part of a larger lot for not much more, but I really wanted it and all I had to do was walk in and grab it. Big deal--$8. I spend more than that on coffee in 2-3 days. I’m glad there’s a store like that in my area, so I support the idea of them profiting.

Yeah, walking into an actual place of business, I know I'm going to pay a bit more, and honestly, I'm okay with it. Convenience is nice, as is being able to inspect the merchandise and return it if I want. But such places also charge what the market will bear, not some fantasy figure culled from a price guide or eBay auction.

My local Vintage Stock will have SMB3 at $10+, or Zelda for $20. That actually makes sense to me, since casual retrogamers will pay it. I just don't want someone telling me that the game is definately "worth" that when I can find them numerous other places for less than a third of the price.

It's always hit and miss, but last weekend at the local flea market I saw a box of about 20 NES games with some good titles in there (Zelda, Icarus, etc.). Only problem was that the woman selling them didn't know what she had and kept saying stuff like "that zelda game goes for over $900 on ebay!". So I replied "Yeah, if it was new." and she said "Yea I know, but these games are still expensive! Derp!" I tried to tell her BIN prices do not equal market value and you don't go by the new/sealed values to base cartridges on. But of course idiots like that don't listen.

she only needs to sell one.

It's always hit and miss, but last weekend at the local flea market I saw a box of about 20 NES games with some good titles in there (Zelda, Icarus, etc.). Only problem was that the woman selling them didn't know what she had and kept saying stuff like "that zelda game goes for over $900 on ebay!". So I replied "Yeah, if it was new." and she said "Yea I know, but these games are still expensive! Derp!" I tried to tell her BIN prices do not equal market value and you don't go by the new/sealed values to base cartridges on. But of course idiots like that don't listen.

she only needs to sell one.

That's when you reach for the classic "I've got ten of them that I'll sell you for $100 each."

• Like 1

i don't sell at flea markets (or games per se) but when i sell on amazon i always try to be the lowest price (within reason). i price stuff to sell, i'm tired of looking at it lol. i'd feel like an asshole charging ridiculous prices.

Other than those more common carts, which I've seen a few people buy, they hardly sell anything retro. They make their money on the current gen, they've told me so. The old stuff makes them almost no money. Its a retro museum at the Game Cycle stores and even the employees have told me that. They have a sign on their display cases that say that collectors items are sold at their discretion. WTF does that mean?! If you go to Game Cycle 2 you'll see a CIB Hit and Missile Game. I bought it on ebay last year for $5. Didn't have to pay shipping because the seller was in Windsor. I decided to try to sell it on Kijiji for $10, many times, didn't get ONE email reply. No one was interested. So I take it in for store credit, get $5 which is what I paid and IIRC they want $40 or $50. It'll never sell and it'll collect dust in that display case forever.

Don't get me wrong, I spend money there, have for many years but if I can buy something online and even with shipping, pay much less, I won't think twice about it. Got a Snoopy and the Red Baron a couple weeks back for $15 shipped where they want $30 for a loose cart. I won't overspend on principle, I don't give in due to convenience.

And no, of course they shouldn't sell things for yard sale prices but their pendulum has swung way too far in the other direction. Bumper Bash won't sell at $80 for a loose poor label copy. It just won't. Put a reasonable $50 price tag on it and maybe, to the right collector. Stores have to realize that us collectors are few and far between and the average Joe looking to relive his youth playing Asteroids and Space Invaders will balk at the stiff price tags on rarer items. Collectors are savy. We know where and how to get the best prices. We're not going to just hand over wads of cash, drooling over some rare game in a display case without doing serious research first.

I've talked to 3 or 4 collectors in the area who are either here at AA and/or on youtube (including the one girl who now works at Game Cycle) and they all agree that the prices are insane and unreasonable - this is from people in the know who collect - their target audience for these items.

Edited by AtariLeaf
  • Like 1

Other than those more common carts, which I've seen a few people buy, they hardly sell anything retro. They make their money on the current gen, they've told me so. The old stuff makes them almost no money. Its a retro museum at the Game Cycle stores and even the employees have told me that. They have a sign on their display cases that say that collectors items are sold at their discretion. WTF does that mean?! If you go to Game Cycle 2 you'll see a CIB Hit and Missile Game. I bought it on ebay last year for $5. Didn't have to pay shipping because the seller was in Windsor. I decided to try to sell it on Kijiji for $10, many times, didn't get ONE email reply. No one was interested. So I take it in for store credit, get $5 which is what I paid and IIRC they want $40 or $50. It'll never sell and it'll collect dust in that display case forever.

Don't get me wrong, I spend money there, have for many years but if I can buy something online and even with shipping, pay much less, I won't think twice about it. Got a Snoopy and the Red Baron a couple weeks back for $15 shipped where they want $30 for a loose cart. I won't overspend on principle, I don't give in due to convenience.

That's kind of what I was saying. A collector doesn't mind leafing through ads, making calls, having sellers flake out on them, etc. because the hunt is part of the hobby. For someone like me, if I just had to have a certain cart, I'd sooner pay double for it (within reason of course) at a walk in store than spend the time chasing it down through other channels. I only buy from time to time so I think the extra money I spend is worth it for the time and hassle saved.

And no, of course they shouldn't sell things for yard sale prices but their pendulum has swung way too far in the other direction. Bumper Bash won't sell at $80 for a loose poor label copy. It just won't. Put a reasonable $50 price tag on it and maybe, to the right collector. Stores have to realize that us collectors are few and far between and the average Joe looking to relive his youth playing Asteroids and Space Invaders will balk at the stiff price tags on rarer items. Collectors are savy. We know where and how to get the best prices. We're not going to just hand over wads of cash, drooling over some rare game in a display case without doing serious research first.

Well, their loss then. I'd just take the item up to the counter and tell him/her what I'm willing to pay for it. If they say no, I'd probably leave my number for them to call me if they changed their mind.

I've talked to 3 or 4 collectors in the area who are either here at AA and/or on youtube (including the one girl who now works at Game Cycle) and they all agree that the prices are insane and unreasonable - this is from people in the know who collect - their target audience for these items.

Heh, that girl is my sister. Now, SHE is somebody who probably should have spent a bit more time browsing the classifieds rather than buying at the store, due to volume.

I wish there were some place that overcharged around here. We don't even have that. I hit four thirfts, and two flea markets yesterday. Total of about 25 vendors viewed. The most video game action I saw was a PS1 no cords with lose bass fishing and destruction derby 2. I didn't ask the price. Simply put, no one has anything in McMinnville, TN.

Heh, that girl is my sister. Now, SHE is somebody who probably should have spent a bit more time browsing the classifieds rather than buying at the store, due to volume.

Melanie's your sister? LOL, that's cool. She bought some 2600 and 8-bit carts a year or so ago from me when she started collecting. She's fun to talk to and seems to know her stuff. She did say she gets store discounts - 15% IIRC. Couldn't she get you those deals too or just buy stuff herself for you?

I have thought of taking that Bumper Bash to the counter and offering $50 but I'm not sure I even want to pay that much. The one time I did successfully make an offer is when they got a collection in and I talked the owner down on 4 rarer 2600 carts including Miner 1 and 2. I don't remember what I paid but it was pretty much what the going rate was for those carts on Atariage at the time.

The other collectors I've talked to are Brett, who does come here, another fellow named Jeremy (goes by Jezzbovision on youtube) and the 3rd guy was someone I bumped into at "The Barn" but never got his name but we chatted about collecting and of course Game Cycle came up. The son who's part owner of "The Barn" is always trash talking Game Cycle's owner too but he's a little over the top himself, not price wise, just personality.

Edited by AtariLeaf

That is me. But i'm also a cheapskate on a strict budget so i refuse to overpay ever. Only once in a great great while will i ever get impatient and pay more to have it right away. I'll wait and search Ebay or every gaming store on the internet looking for the best deal.

But not everybody is cheapskate like me. Some are better off financially. Some are still cautious with their money and some aren't. Someone who throws down $60 a pop for PS3 games may not bat an eye paying $10 for a $1 game just for convenience. I don't have that luxury. Since my want list is 100 times bigger than the amount of money i make a week i have to be very cautious. So someone like me gets more angry at all the overpriced game stores than others do.

Simply put, no one has anything in McMinnville, TN.

Sorry, off topic, but is McMinnville the city where those purported UFO pictures were taken back in the 40’s or 50’s?

Never mind, that was McMinnville, Oregon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMinnville_UFO_photographs

The other collectors I've talked to are Brett, who does come here, another fellow named Jeremy (goes by Jezzbovision on youtube) and the 3rd guy was someone I bumped into at "The Barn" but never got his name but we chatted about collecting and of course Game Cycle came up. The son who's part owner of "The Barn" is always trash talking Game Cycle's owner too but he's a little over the top himself, not price wise, just personality.

What's the Barn?

I do like it when Flea Markets undercharge. My favorite spot has $1 Atari games, and B2G1F on all 8 and 16 bit carts, every day. I went this weekend and picked up Afterburner 2 for the Genny, Space Chase (Apollo, 2600) and Journey Escape (Data Age, 2600) for a whopping $2.12. Afterburner 2 was labelled $2.99, but he gave me the whole lot for two bucks. Good stuff.

There is an ignorant and stubburn old man who mainly sells vintage camera goods every weekend I see him all the time year after year. When I first met him I snagged a few games for $1.00. Back then I was craving a Marios Bros Cart but he had it for $40!! I told him it was way over priced. He denied. He also had a tons of loose carts in a box in the back of his truck but would never take them our or let me look at them. Just to lazy and stubburn. SEVEN years later he's still packing those games around and I STILL see that $40 Mario Bros game. Sighh.

We had a couple of flea markets open up in old stores in our area recently. One in the old Burlington Coat Factory building and one in an old Circuit City building. The one in the Burlington Coat Factory building has a guy right up front that has a lot of video games. Prices aren't really too bad. He does have a few 2600 games I had not seen before and I've picked them up. I've seen a couple other people at the Circuit City flea market that were asking a little more for PS1 games than I'd pay, $25 for a Star Wars fighting game he had, but the rest of his PS1 stuff wasn't too bad. I've yet to see any outrageous prices at these flea markets. The guy at the Burlington Coat Factory building wants to see my Sega Master System 3D Glasses I have in the box. May want to buy them but I don't think I can part with those. The only really high price I've seen lately was a Sega Genesis with no cords at a Goodwill for $70.00. I think I had said that somewhere here on the forums before. Not what I would pay. I'd seen the same thing at a garage sale before that for $8.00 with all the cords and 4 games, 2 sports and 2 Sonics. You know if you had a boxed Panzer Dragoon Saga for the Saturn or a boxed Battlesphere I would be willing to pay more for those, but don't tell me that Legend of Zelda in the gold cartridge loose is worth $50.00 when the guy at the next table down is selling 3 of them for a buck each.

Rich

Edited by vrocko

My favorite of these sellers are the ones that think all NES games are worth $10 because they got a rare game off pure luck once and someone was happy to pay $10 for it knowing it should be $100+. From then on they are all $10. Then there are those that are scared they will let a game go too cheap so they over price them all.

In general my area is all dried up on good deals, and often times even fair deals. I started going to local auctions the flea market sellers were going to and buying the stuff there before these resellers could get them in the first place. They just hate me for it, and I love it even more because they do.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprisly, I was at GameCycle 2 and they had World Series Baseball with manual for $25 under the glass. I said, yeah I'd like that but don't even want to know the price ($159 on ebay and i know thats where he gets his prices), she said, no I don't think its that bad! So.. I did find a decent deal.. ordered replacement box and overlays already.

"The Barn" hasn't been all great for me.... I got a broken ColecoVision for $40 (needs all new Vram) and a boxed Intellivision II for $50 (both controllers dead, had another system to test with) I cleared him out of ColecoVision a few months ago... and nothing new has come in. The N64 is all sports now and they are all priced $8. Have to go down there for mothers day so I'm sure I'll pop in.

It's funny even in Windsor, people know to go around to yard sales, grab the old systems and immediately turn around and charge $100's.... these are men and women in their 70s at yard sales at the crack of dawn... I don't stand any chance of just stumbling upon them.