IGNORED

Feedback for new 2012 5200 homebrew (30th anniversary) game

Cafeman

Feedback requested for 2012 5200 homebrew  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these already-started options would you rather have completed for a 2012 5200 game?

• Koffi: Twin Kopters
    • Koffu-Koffu
    • A vertical outer-space shooter in vein of Megamania
    • Detective Powers
    • Nope, I don't like original games, I'd rather have a port of another system/coin-op game

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

That was 10 years ago already! Yes, I see a lot more interest in 7800 (especially with PacManPlus' awesome work on that console!) and 2600 will always be the most popular. But I will always favor the 5200!

Probably everybody else is tired of fixing their controllers. ;)

• Like 1

if you take pacman plus out of the equation

there's nothing left in there for the 7800

the XM looks vaporware,

and no other games were showed in a long, long time

but

the 5200 could get 4 to 5 2012 new games! :-D

let's see:

tempest

your game

Gauntlet

Cloack&Dagger

Edited by fernando marrin

I've begun looking into the Mr Do! code, it will be slow going as time free to do it isn't so big currently but I think I'll get there

That is amazing news! Thank you so much!

^

Aren't Mr. Do and Dig Dug similar enough that a hack of Dig Dug would suffice for 5200 Mr. Do?

There's a whole lot of differences in gameplay (the 'magic ball', the EXTRA letters, being able to push the apples, etc.) Since there's already a very good port of Mr. Do for the 8-bit computers, if Wrathchild can port that version over to the 5200, it will be a lot easier than hacking the code for Dig Dug would be.

Since there's already a very good port of Mr. Do for the 8-bit computers, if Wrathchild can port that version over to the 5200, it will be a lot easier than hacking the code for Dig Dug would be.

I played the A8 version of Mr. Do! last night to refresh my memory - it is as arcade-perfect as you can get and a masterpiece of programming. How much RAM does that version require? (I fear it requires 48K, and 5200 only has 16K). That would make porting it with all gameplay intact impossible.

I made my vote - Detective Powers will be my 2012 5200 game. It's my most desired game, and 50%+ of poll responders also feel that way. It's been a month since I posted this thread w/poll, and I appreciate the feedback!

Can the forum Moderator please lock this thread on or around June 1? That will give another day for any further feedback, but after that I don't want to keep coming back to this thread.

Some thoughts:

I can appreciate how some of you want ports of games like Galaga, Food Fight, or others. I want these ports too, but I am not interested in doing it myself. I like to create something new and fairly original. Koffi was pretty much unlike any other game I'd ever played, and Adventure II had lots of new ideas to distinguish its gameplay from 2600 Adventure. Likewise, my idea for a "shooter akin to Megamania" did not mean to imply a MM clone, but a game with vertical shooting and crazy enemies. Perhaps a weird hybrid of Phoenix, Megamania, and Galaxian describes better what I had in mind. I may still work on it in the future. My idea for "Koffu Koffu" is probably the least intersting idea to me - it was something I dreamed up over the course of several weeks, but now I can see there isn't much interest in such a game from anybody else either , so consider it a dead idea. I would really like to make Koffi Twin Kopters someday (for 5200 and A8), but not this year. This is the year of Detective Powers, for me. I'll post a thread about it in the future as development progresses.

Thanks !

• Like 1

if you take pacman plus out of the equation

there's nothing left in there for the 7800

the XM looks vaporware,

and no other games were showed in a long, long time

but

the 5200 could get 4 to 5 2012 new games! :-D

let's see:

tempest

your game

Gauntlet

Cloack&Dagger

Pardon my ignorance but how much of "Cloak & Dagger" is left to be completed? Didn't Atari Inc. back in the day finish most of it, before the dark days, before the Tramiels?