IGNORED

DK Arcade gameplay video

Rev

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bybW5QR1BBM&feature=relmfu

Why does YouTube have such a problem with playing videos at 60 FPS?

The video is captured from an Intellivision II with composite output. The original video looks great, and there are no problems with disappearing objects. Obviously YouTube is downgrading the frame rate in some way, and we have the disappearing object problem. This is probably how the game appears on some HDTVs without using the 30 FPS code.

If someone knows how I can fix this problem … please let me know!

Edited by Carl Mueller Jr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bybW5QR1BBM&feature=relmfu

Why does YouTube have such a problem with playing videos at 60 FPS?

The video is captured from an Intellivision II with composite output. The original video looks great, and there are no problems with disappearing objects. Obviously YouTube is downgrading the frame rate in some way, and we have the disappearing object problem. This is probably how the game appears on some HDTVs without using the 30 FPS code.

If someone knows how I can fix this problem … please let me know!

I love that ape "grunt" sound in the introduction and at the end of a level. It is the one thing I thought was conspicuously missing from Donkey Kong Arcade--just because everything else was so perfectly reproduced.

I noticed that the ape "grunt" at the end of the first level happens way later than it is supposed to. It's supposed to go right after the jingle plays. I also noticed that the flames stopped animating during it.

I guess it is some sort of technical restriction that requires the full attention of the CPU to play that sound effect, and so you wait for the ape to leave the screen, right?

-dZ.

I love that ape "grunt" sound in the introduction and at the end of a level. It is the one thing I thought was conspicuously missing from Donkey Kong Arcade--just because everything else was so perfectly reproduced.

I noticed that the ape "grunt" at the end of the first level happens way later than it is supposed to. It's supposed to go right after the jingle plays. I also noticed that the flames stopped animating during it.

I guess it is some sort of technical restriction that requires the full attention of the CPU to play that sound effect, and so you wait for the ape to leave the screen, right?

-dZ.

Exactly right. Playing a digital sample through the Intellivision's PSG requires the full attention of the CPU (almost). I'm attempting to play the samples back at about 11 kHz, the original sampling rate. At the same time, I'm unpacking individual bits and implementing the delta modulation decoding to produce a sample, which in turn is used as an index into a lookup table of volume values for the PSG's three channels (approximating the sample).

Most people blank the screen as well, because the VBLANK and STIC cycle stealing have an affect on the output.

Fortunately, the samples are scratchy enough in the first place that they don't suffer much from being played during active display. But yeah, that's exactly why I wait for DK to exit the screen before sounding the grunt.

You haven't heard it together with the girl's "help!"… you might like it even better! :-)

Carl

IIRC, Youtube doesn't support 60fps video -- everything is automatically downsampled to 30fps. I've read that Nicovideo (a Japanese site that's popular for gaming videos) supports 60fps.

Every so often I marvel at the fact that most online video content is delivered at a lower quality, and with a far higher CPU load, than what was routinely possible 8-10 years ago! True, you don't have to wait for a huge file to download this way, but still, it's ridiculous.

Every so often I marvel at the fact that most online video content is delivered at a lower quality, and with a far higher CPU load, than what was routinely possible 8-10 years ago! True, you don't have to wait for a huge file to download this way, but still, it's ridiculous.

Welcome to the "webification" of all technology, where making a web browser do half the things, half as good as we did 10 years ago is considered innovation. Hurray for progress.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay