IGNORED

Gate Boxes R US

I guess I am one that am not wowed by box, manual, etc. To me they are secondary in my collection. If the special printing technique adds $5-$10 to the price, then I say, "Why do it?" Getting the game with manual and overlays close to the original $50 range is more important to me.

I also appreciate the emphasis on quality, so don't get me wrong. Just saying.

I guess I am one that am not wowed by box, manual, etc. To me they are secondary in my collection. If the special printing technique adds $5-$10 to the price, then I say, "Why do it?" Getting the game with manual and overlays close to the original $50 range is more important to me.

I'm a bit torn on this topic. For the games of my childhood? I want boxes, but it's not crucial. but modern days? I often tell my wife "I don;t play boxes. The Steam version is fine".

The overlays are unimportant for this game.

A friend of mine suggested that I simply get a generic box (Think Parker Brothers) and put a piece of foam in it to hold the cart in place. I told him, no way. The people who don't care about the box will throw it away, and probably wonder how much cheaper the game would have been without it.....the people who want a 'proper' box would have been disappointed. Therefore, you make no one happy.

With these small runs, there is no sense in doing an 'adequate' box. The cost of a small run is high enough that having a quality box does not add much to the overall price of a boxed version.

For those who just want to play the game, buy the manual and cart only. The overlays are not needed. For those who want the complete version of the game, it will be available. Back in the day, these games would be distributed in a store, so having no box or overlays would probably be unthinkable. However, since this is a mail order operation now, we can tailor our products to our customer's desires.

• Like 2

The overlays are unimportant for this game.

A friend of mine suggested that I simply get a generic box (Think Parker Brothers) and put a piece of foam in it to hold the cart in place. I told him, no way. The people who don't care about the box will throw it away, and probably wonder how much cheaper the game would have been without it.....the people who want a 'proper' box would have been disappointed. Therefore, you make no one happy.

With these small runs, there is no sense in doing an 'adequate' box. The cost of a small run is high enough that having a quality box does not add much to the overall price of a boxed version.

For those who just want to play the game, buy the manual and cart only. The overlays are not needed. For those who want the complete version of the game, it will be available. Back in the day, these games would be distributed in a store, so having no box or overlays would probably be unthinkable. However, since this is a mail order operation now, we can tailor our products to our customer's desires.

With this approach I think you'll make a lot of people happy.....except my wife. :) this of course means I'll be buying both versions but that way I'll have one to play and one to drool over. Well done.

Why do it? Because these games are more than products or collector's items. These games are a labour of love and reminiscent of that long lost era that some of us cherish from our childhood.

I want to see my games played by as many people as possible, but it is also important to me to release the games in as close to how it was done in the past.

-dZ.

• Like 4