IGNORED

Missile Command -- 2600 vs. 8-bit?

davidcalgary29

I've just finished playing yet another round of "Missile Command" on the 2600, and couldn't help but think that the 8-bit version seems to be a really poor port of the VCS'...with graphics that are inferiorto that of the 2600's. Are there any other examples of 8-bit games being inferior to those on their 2600 predecessors?

I was always disappointed in the 2600 version's explosions. The 8-bit/5200 versions had the multiple explosions with that neat graphical effect. Also, there are no planes in the 2600 version and the little homing "dots" are less detailed.

Both of them lose major points for only having one missile base to shoot from.

As massive arcade Missile Command fan I gotta say with the exception of the ONE base issue that 400/800 missile command is AWESOME...

It plays wonderfully, the missiles can come at all the proper angles, unlike the VCS's more vertical versions. It has great difficulty ramping, explosions are superb and it was the next best thing to owning an arcade machine in the 80's if u were a Missile Command freak...

I also believe it was produced before the 2600 version...

sTeVE

Yeah but when u have a one button stick you're pretty limited to your design possibilities - its the best compromise - multiple bases accessed by other control input (sticks or keyborad) would just be janky and ruin the game...

After all it is a conversion to a home platform, not a byte for byte port so compromises are the order of the day :)

In fact I'm playing the cart at my desk right now on my trusty XEGS and trackball (that mode alone is worth price of admission) and the 8bit version has really good fun sound FX too...

sTeVE

Long ago, I remember seeing an Atari 800 in a computer store running Missile Command as a demo. At the time, Missile Command was my absolute favorite game of all. While my mom was doing whatever she was doing in the shop, I stood transfixed in front of the Atari 800 nearly drooling at the Missile Command game.

One of the salemen came over and took the controller away from me and informed me that I was not allowed to play the demo system. After a couple of minutes my mom wandered back over there and asked me what I had been looking at. I showed her the Atari 800 in the vain hope that maybe she'd buy it for me.

The salesman, sensing an opportunity, thrust the controller into my hand and asked me to give the game a try. I was innocently confused and asked why he suddenly wanted me to play it when he had kept me from doing it earlier, a question that he awkwardly and unsuccessfully tried to answer without admitting that he was only after a commission.

Interestingly, I think that store went out of business shortly after my and my mom's visit there. I wonder why?

I never got an Atari 800 or its version of Missile Command. The closest I got as a child was the 2600 version of the game. Despite earnest pleading, I never even got the 5200 version of the game back then.

Thankfully, nowadays things are different and my current 5200 sees regular Missile Command action.

Now, for a 5200 tracball...