IGNORED

How hard would it have been to make the SNES backward compatible with NES?

I am sure it doesn't play every game ;)

Good for you. Blaming it on being a "shitty chinese product" is still an exceptionally ignorant thing to do. If it were made in the USA as an unliscensed on a chip design, it would likely have the exact same issue.

lol, wow that one really must have got to you, it's okay man, take a deep breath, pet the kitty :)

It doesn't "get to me". It just makes me laugh whenever people do that on forums. It means you can't properly back up your own statements and have to use someone else as a crutch.

Okay, maybe technically not "made" in china but designed/concieved there, that was my point and I think you knew that :)

Yes, I know. And it's still ignorant.

Yes it was, which is why I'm surprised you didn't get it :)

Oh believe me, I got it just fine. It makes you sound very ignorant.

Ah, there are the indirect (or a little more direct this time) comments I was waiting for :)

Indirect? They've never been indirect comments. They've always been right at you and your poorly thought out statements.

I don't really have anything to say back to this one, sorry, not really the name calling type here, a little ribbing is fun but I don't want to just directly insult people, that means you are taking this a little too seriously :)

You directly insult china by saying it's a shitty chinese product, so what's the big deal? You can basically insult an entire country, and I can't say its stupid/ignorant to do so?

roflcopter.

• Like 1

Sega managed to include an entire SMS inside the Genesis, and it always sold for less than the SNES. Nintendo could have done it for even cheaper if the CPU was backward compatible. Even an adaptor like the Super Game Boy would have shut some complainers up.

PS2 had a huge advantage because of the backward compatibility and Xbox and GameCube couldn't crack Sony's dominance (in-part) because of it.

But even still, what would Nintendo have to gain by NOT making the SNES backward compatible, when they had a legacy library of 600+ titles going into the SNES years? As others have said, it would have secured their dominance over Sega, it would have maintained the goodwill of their customers, and it would have allowed them to re-use a lot of NES designs rather than starting over with the SNES. The only logical answer is that it would have added to the cost. As you just said, the SNES was always more expensive than the Genesis... how much MORE expensive should Nintendo have made it just to maintain compatibility with a console that would be dead within a year anyway? Don't forget, we're not just talking about the per-unit cost to add compaitibility, but the R&D cost to find a workable design, and one that could be made more cheaply as time went on.

Remember, in the early 90s, we'd never seen a $700 3DO, a $600 PS3, or even a $300 Saturn. $200 was asking a hell of a lot, especially when the competition has a head start on you and is selling for less.

Backward compatibility also played into the PS2's success as well, obviously, but circumstances changed a lot in the near decade between the SNES and the PS2.

Good for you. Blaming it on being a "shitty chinese product" is still an exceptionally ignorant thing to do. If it were made in the USA as an unliscensed on a chip design, it would likely have the exact same issue.

Yes, I know. And it's still ignorant.

Oh believe me, I got it just fine. It makes you sound very ignorant.

Indirect? They've never been indirect comments. They've always been right at you and your poorly thought out statements.

You directly insult china by saying it's a shitty chinese product, so what's the big deal? You can basically insult an entire country, and I can't say its stupid/ignorant to do so?

Ah, I think I get it now. Me saying "shitty chinese product" was taken as ethnocentricity. Okay, I can see the point of your anger now. Just to be clear it was not meant that way. Guess I am just used to saying "chinese knock off" because these "clones" are concieved in china and the shitty part was in response to it not playing certain games (per the OP's response stating that numerous games had issues) I don't find it offensive to China as a whole because I didn't mean it that way but....I can see it being taken that way these days, especially from the younger generation. My apolgies, no racism/ethnocentrism was meant. As a Dad I guess I do have to be a little more careful the way I word things these days :)

There isn't anything wrong with generalization saying that the majority of Chinese products are crap. It is categorically TRUE. If you want to get in to a discussion about low quality American products you can, but it doesn't change the fact that the majority of Chinese knock offs are crummy quality. It has nothing to do with the poor penny a day slave labor they use to make it. I'm sure it's the penny pinching greedy people in charge of those businesses that cause the stamping out of shitty final products. But in the end it's the final product themselves that are crap. If you are Chinese or get offended by someone saying stuff from China is crap, I'm very sorry for you. I wish it weren't true, just like you do. Climbers, and my posts were not politically motivated, nor would I personally engage in a discussion of that type on AA. There are plenty of crappy products, people, and countries in the world. In this case, the comments were specifically about Chinese knock-off video game items. Yes, they are all crap. Deal with it :D

• Like 2

There isn't anything wrong with generalization saying that the majority of Chinese products are crap. It is categorically TRUE. If you want to get in to a discussion about low quality American products you can, but it doesn't change the fact that the majority of Chinese knock offs are crummy quality. It has nothing to do with the poor penny a day slave labor they use to make it. I'm sure it's the penny pinching greedy people in charge of those businesses that cause the stamping out of shitty final products. But in the end it's the final product themselves that are crap. If you are Chinese or get offended by someone saying stuff from China is crap, I'm very sorry for you. I wish it weren't true, just like you do. Climbers, and my posts were not politically motivated, nor would I personally engage in a discussion of that type on AA. There are plenty of crappy products, people, and countries in the world. In this case, the comments were specifically about Chinese knock-off video game items. Yes, they are all crap. Deal with it :D

As you said, it's a generalization, but it has its merits. It's actually quite possible to get high-quality products made in China, but like anywhere else, you will pay a premium for it. To most people, adding to the production cost of a product defeats the purpose of doing business in China in the first place.

+1

It's everything I wanted to say but didn't know how to without sounding offensive, you are a true wordsmith axman :)

Drama drama drama...

Anyways, I remember back when the SNES came out, the last thing I cared about was whether or not it would play Kickle Cubicle. I wanted that sweet Super Mario World action in my home and on my TV, not Service Merchandise's.

• Like 1

Drama drama drama...

Anyways, I remember back when the SNES came out, the last thing I cared about was whether or not it would play Kickle Cubicle. I wanted that sweet Super Mario World action in my home and on my TV, not Service Merchandise's.

when it came out, all I understood was "new mario. yoshi thing. need to have it".

I was 3.

I remember being floored at the concept of there being a "new" Nintendo. To me, having an NES was like having a VCR or a record player... You bought it and it was this permanent fixture in the house. Atari had kinda been that way, so why not Nintendo? (at the time, Atari history was vague to me). Honestly, I'd never considered having to buy another game system after my NES, because how could it get any better?

So when news of the SNES hit, it was like the atom bomb for me. My reaction was "If there's something Nintendo that's so cool, they couldn't put it on the NES, they had to make a whole seperate game system for it, it must be amazing! Why are we even discussing this, buy it now, you fool!!!".

I was 11.

• Like 2

I remember being floored at the concept of there being a "new" Nintendo. To me, having an NES was like having a VCR or a record player... You bought it and it was this permanent fixture in the house. Atari had kinda been that way, so why not Nintendo? (at the time, Atari history was vague to me). Honestly, I'd never considered having to buy another game system after my NES, because how could it get any better?

So when news of the SNES hit, it was like the atom bomb for me. My reaction was "If there's something Nintendo that's so cool, they couldn't put it on the NES, they had to make a whole seperate game system for it, it must be amazing! Why are we even discussing this, buy it now, you fool!!!".

I was 11.

So what happened when you discovered girls?

• Like 1

Sega managed to include an entire SMS inside the Genesis, and it always sold for less than the SNES. Nintendo could have done it for even cheaper if the CPU was backward compatible. Even an adaptor like the Super Game Boy would have shut some complainers up.

The genesis did have a SMS in it per se, but was a derivative to the SMS. All most in the same way as the Wii is to the Gamecube.

Edited by twoquickcapri

Drama drama drama...

lol, C'mon, it wasn't THAT bad :)

These random internet images sum up the outcome :)

post-9102-0-87922900-1337195821_thumb.jpg post-9102-0-29358600-1337195969_thumb.jpg

...is this really what you two look like? I was expecting something more...I dunno, one to look like Napoleon Dynamite and the other a small white mouse.

On a side note, I used to think backwards compatibilty was very important, but now I realize it's only important to me. A guy who keeps playing old stuff. I was happy with PS2's backwards compatibility but I think I was about the only guy I knew who still played PS1 games on it.

And look at what happened with the PS3. It was backwards comp. for a while, but now it's not. I was almost thinking of getting it but wanted to play my PS2 games on it. I'm kinda glad anyway, I've got all the games systems I'll ever need right now anyway.

I do think that Nintendo should have made the SNES backwards compatible though, or at least have an adaptor like the Gameboy thing. But we're talking about 20+ years ago....who gives a rat's ass?

Lol, of course I give a rat's ass! I just wanted to be able to incorporate "a rat's ass" in my sentence. Why? Because, that's why.

billy-mays-e1285131507823.jpg

"HI, BILLY MAYS HERE from the GREAT BEYOND! As you all know, I'M DEADER than the VIRTUAL BOY, but I'm here to tell ya: HELL ain't ALL THAT BAD A PLACE! It's WARM most times, we've got GREAT MUSIC to listen to, and just the other day some guy showed up, I dunno, says he used to run Commodore AND Atari at one point! But forget about all that: don't forget to pick up a few gallon tubs of OXY CLEAN, ok? OK! :thumbsup: "

(this message has been brought to you by Billy Mays from the Great Beyond for no other reason than because it's Billy Mays, and he can do this kind of shit)

Edited by atarilovesyou
  • Like 1

What's the point? In the 7800 forum BillyB was mouthing off that no-one cared about backwards compatibily anyway.

So the SNES had the cheaper CPU and it was dearer than the Genesis? And Genesis was two consoles in 1.

Man as a Nintendo owner you'd been had.

Edited by high voltage

I was 11.

16 bit computers like ST or Amiga were unknown?

I was 11.

16 bit computers like ST or Amiga were unknown?

The genesis did have a SMS in it per se, but was a derivative to the SMS. All most in the same way as the Wii is to the Gamecube.

Actually the SNES seems more derivative because the SNES CPU is an extension of the NES one, more like the Wii to the GameCube. The Z80 is just tacked on to the Genesis as a coprocessor and is not related to the 68000.