IGNORED

Interest Check: Official 5200 Carrying Case

boxpressed

I recently picked up an official 5200 carrying case. It's in so-so condition, so I was thinking about putting it up for sale on eBay or here in the Marketplace. The plastic is in good condition, but the silver decal has rolled up in spots, and the Atari 5200 logo is faded so that there's no color. The hinges have some rust on them. I think there used to be foam on the inside, but that's gone now. Any idea what would be a fair asking price? I can add pics if anyone is interested.

Edited by boxpressed

• 1 month later...

I forgot all about posting pictures of this thing. Here are a few. The plastic body itself is in good condition, no cracks or big scratches. The silver decal is in bad shape, and it looks sun faded (you may not be able to see the Atari 5200 logo on it). The interior plastic is in good shape, but it looks as though a piece of foam is missing. (If anyone else has one of these, I'd love to see what the foam is supposed to look like.) The hinges have moderate rust on them. I took the rough side of a sponge to one of them; it took off a lot of the rust but left very fine striations on the metal. May have been a mistake. I left the other one along, and that is the one in the photo.

A neat item, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell it. Maybe I'll package it with the asterisk four-port that I've got to make a super-rare lot.

post-30018-0-22679700-1343332360_thumb.jpg

post-30018-0-86425000-1343332382_thumb.jpg

post-30018-0-50057000-1343332406_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I think these are pretty scarce. From what I read on earlier AA threads, you could get one only by ordering from the Atari magazine. Apparently, a CIB 5200 carrying case is a legit Atari holy grail. The box has this hilarious photo of a kid trying to act natural while carrying the case, which looks as though it weighs as much as a safe, based on his posture.

But I get what you mean about space. I've sold off a ton of stuff this summer just because I resolved to keep only what I use and not become a hoarder.