IGNORED

Vectrex - Sound, Game Plays, but small white dot?

MonkeyMagic

Update #3

White dot Vectrex FIXED!

It was IC401 which is: LM379S Dual 6W AMP under the big heat sink and under its own heat sink used in the deflection circuit.

Wouldn't you know it is the trickiest part to change. Also since there is a heat sink connected to this chip, there is no notch, but a slight hole offset at one end underneath. I could easily have put it in the wrong way.

First time I have seen the white dot problem was a Power Board part.

11.00 LM379D incl shipping

0.63 BAU407 2.50 shipping

19.99 Cap kit incl shipping

total $34.12

$45.45 Vectrex from eBay

Total invested $79.57

As said previously, it probably didn't need a Cap Kit, but without a scope to track down the problem, you got to start somewhere!

Before / After

post-29575-0-55971500-1339256532_thumb.jpg

post-29575-0-86468700-1339256544_thumb.jpg

19.99 Cap kit incl shipping

Where did you order the cap kit, if I may ask?

I know my Vec needs caps. Takes is a while to start after I turn it on...

I have to practice my soldering a bit more before I work on the Vec too..

Also, how would you rate the ease/difficulty getting to the CAPs on the Vec?

(For a non-electronics expert, who has done some soldering)

Just wondering...

desiv

http://console5.com/store/

I guess I would fall into the category of non-electronics expert.

I would rate it the hardest project I've ever done.

I even installed one backwards and they do go pop!

I had one of those RadioShack solder sucker plungers things (vacuum desoldering tool), and that still wasn't enough to get them out cleanly. I even went out and bought a brand-new one. Didn't work much better.

Lifted a big trace (they seem to come off really easy) and had to epoxy it down, and lifted many solder pads off of the solder side of the board.

A good tip is to not put the replacement capacitors all the way down to the board so you can make sure it is soldered on the top and the bottom. On most of them one side connects to the top of the board and the other side connects to the bottom of the board.

And the ones under the heat sink are best replaced on the (other side) solder side of the board.

Maybe choosing the right solder device would be a good choice? I have a powerful solder gun which you need if you want to get the power wires unsoldered from the power board, and a 15 W soldering iron for delicate work. Maybe one in the middle wouldn't have butchered the pads so badly...

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome news on your Vectrex mate!!!

I have not had much time to spend on mine yet. However I did manage to replace all the socket-ed IC's on the logic board with new ones, this did not fix it. So next task is to start replacing the ones that are soldered in place.

When you were repairing yours, did you try re-fitting the actual sockets for the IC's on the logic board? Or did you do nothing to your logic board and just work on the power board?

Awesome news on your Vectrex mate!!!

When you were repairing yours, did you try re-fitting the actual sockets for the IC's on the logic board? Or did you do nothing to your logic board and just work on the power board?

Thanks!

I removed the soldered 6522 PIA and put in a socket.

My original had that part socketed, so I took it and put it in the broken one.

I got no change, so I put the broken Vectrex's 6522 in my original one. It was a working part.

Other than changing 3 of the 4 capacitors, I didn't do any more work on the logic board.

:)

When you were un-soldering the components did you only do it from the solder side?

I'm finding it very difficult to get all the solder out just doing it on that side, however I don't want to do it on the other side and cause lasting damage!

I'm also guessing you completely removed the boards before working on them?,

When you were un-soldering the components did you only do it from the solder side?

I'm finding it very difficult to get all the solder out just doing it on that side, however I don't want to do it on the other side and cause lasting damage!

I'm also guessing you completely removed the boards before working on them?,

-I did whatever I could to get the 40-pin chip unsoldered. It is very tough.

- I think at this point in tracking down the problem the Logic Board was back in. The 6522 is accessible. The Power Board was out.

My new project is to repair this white dot Vectrex I just bought, although I think I am running out of things to try!

System starts with sound and the built-in game. White dot at bottom center of screen.

> cap kit. Done. All replaced (extremely hard to do as it is so easy to tear up the board traces). No change.

> swapped the two small socketed IC's near the back of the logic board with ones from working unit. No change. Both work in working Vectrex.

> reflowed solder in power connection from logic board to power board. No change.

> replaced Q502 BU407 NPN. No change.

> desoldered IC6622, installed 40-pin socket, swapped with working Vectrex 6622. No change. Both CPUs work in working Vectrex.

> checked continuity. All seems ok.

> voltage checked at power board per Service Manual. OK.

As I said I'm running out of things to try.

I've read most of the information on the Internet on repairs...

Any suggestions on what to do next? (I don't have an oscilloscope unfortunately.)

It could be the display?

• 1 month later...

Ok, update on this.

Today I'm admitting defeat :(

I could not get the bottom logic board out, it was attached to the power button at the front by 3 solder points that I could not really get to.

I tried to dissemble the power button, but that just lead to more problems.

So not been able to get the logic board out, it was pretty much impossible to desolder the IC's I needed to.

It's been a very frustrating and annoying project, one that I've simply had enough of.

I'm afraid this Vectrex is not going to be saved :(

Hey guys,

I have a second Vectrex with a similar problem. The sound works, but image only shows a horizontal white stripe at the center of the screen. There seems to be some life in that stripe though.

The Vectrex is now at a friend's house, who was willing to apply his skill in electronics to save the machine from certain death.

So I showed him this thread, and based on the suggested solutions up here, we'll attempt to bring that Vectrex back to life.

I'll post something as soon as I have more news.

Unless some one has an easy way to remove the logic board that is ;) But I'm guessing no.

Sorry to read you've given up for now. It _IS_ way up there on the difficulty scale! When you have to desolder just to get boards out, and ground the CRT...

It is assembled so crazy!

If your problem is in the logic board, what I have read is that it is the 6522 or the sound chip.

Turbogfx: Looking forward to news!

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

I have a second Vectrex with a similar problem. The sound works, but image only shows a horizontal white stripe at the center of the screen. There seems to be some life in that stripe though.

The Vectrex is now at a friend's house, who was willing to apply his skill in electronics to save the machine from certain death.

So I showed him this thread, and based on the suggested solutions up here, we'll attempt to bring that Vectrex back to life.

I'll post something as soon as I have more news.

Howdy Turbogfx. Your Vectrex has the exact same problem as one of mine: horizontal line in the middle of the screen, that seems to move/twitch a bit when a game plays. Wondering if you ever managed to solve it, and if so, how :)

Another Vectrex I own has a slightly different problem: the sound seems to be a bit wonky. If i twist the pwr/volume knob it sometimes works (on certain volume levels, as it seems) and sometimes doesn't. Also hear a lot of crackling. More than what seems to be normal.

If anyone has any tips for me, concerning both issues described, they are more than welcome!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I have recently gotten a Vectrex with the white dot problem, except mine doesn't have audio. Sometimes when you turn it on, you will hear some odd sounds, but it's feint. All voltages are present, I pulled all the socketed chips and cleaned them, no change. the dot will also move from one power up to the next.

• 1 year later...

For those who are struggling with the white dot problem, this was my fix.

I bought a faulty vectrex which didn't start up.

symptoms:

- white dot slightly off center in the middle

- no vectrex "buzz"

- light bulb from tube is glowing

- when touching the reset button the white dot moves

- Brightness pot behind vectrex is responding

- static and sometimes beeping sounds from speaker.

Solution:

- Checked voltages on the power board - 4.95 v, ground ,+ 4.88 v en -0.77 v ( aha! must be - 13v! )

- Checked voltages at the power switch: 1 of the 2 wires ( the wire going to -13v point at power board didn't have voltage continuity )

- fixed the switch

- Powered up the system and yes we have -13 v! , but still the white dot.......

- Switched the removable ic's from the logic board ( i have a second and working vectrex ), IC chip SY6522 was faulty.

Hopefully this will help out some with the white dot problem wink.png

In my case this was the solution.

The white dot problem is a common problem and many parts can be faulty.

Also good to mention:

- check the power and logic board for broken or bad solder points

- Swollen or leaking capacitors

- Clean the removable ic's and sockets and check for dust in sockets or corrosion (also check if they are firmly mounted )

- measure the 4 wire point on the power board

- check the x-y-z cable for correct voltages/ resistance

I,m not an expert in fixing Vectrex systems but every fixed problem is good to mention for the community!

Greetings,

Dennis

• Like 2