Ooh, ooh! Can I play?
Ah, this is a fine shooter in that Zanac/Gun*Nac/Guardian Legend tradition. Sure wrecks up your hand like nobody's business if you don't have rapid fire, though!
Now that I've posted my high score, here's how you can beat it...
* This is very similar to Zanac, and the same rules apply. You'll see enemy patterns frequently reused, so learning them is crucial to your survival.
* Like Zanac, and, well, every other shooter Compile ever made, some ships will drop P-Chips after you've destroyed them. However, it takes a lot of P-Chips to power up your ship's main weapon, so don't take any unnecessary risks trying to collect them.
* You also have a secondary weapon. These are numbered from 1 to 8, with 1 being the default. Unlike the NES Zanac games, all of the weapons but the default run on a timer shown on the bottom right corner of the screen. When time runs out, you'll return to the default weapon, a plasma ball that can be aimed with the joystick. It's better than nothing, but there are much better secondary weapons available... it's in your best interest to hold onto one of those as long as possible.
* There's a third, undocumented weapon in this game... slowdown. Milk it for all it's worth. Get an extravagant secondary weapon and fire it along with the main cannon when there's a lot of onscreen activity. The action will slow to a crawl, letting you squeeze through gaps in the enemy's bullet sprays.
* In Power Strike, your best offense is a good defense. Pick up 4 or 5 whenever you can... 4 is a shield that blocks all incoming shots and enemies. 5 ups the ante by soaking up bullets AND homing in on enemies. Keep those weapons active as long as you can, refreshing them whenever the opportunity arises!
* Power ups are elusive in this game, floating to the top of the screen as soon as they've been freed from the ships and ground installations holding them. Wait until they're very close, then blast 'em and scoop 'em up before they vanish.
* If your ship is destroyed, don't lose heart! Yes, you'll lose all the power ups you've collected, but more are just around the corner. When you get that next ship, move quickly to a safe place on the screen, because the invincibility window is very tight. You'll lose ships in rapid sequence if you just sit still.
I'll post information about the specific weapons as soon as I've done the proper research on all of them. Hope this helps!
Edited by Jess Ragan, Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:52 PM.