IGNORED

Getting c64 games on 5 1/4 floppies

If you're on a budget, the best thing would be to build an X1541 type cable, and connect your 1541 to your PC. The exact type of cable will depend on the hardware you have available.

If you don't have a 1541 drive, you might be able to use an old PC instead.

Better options for the long term would be buying an SD reader for your C64. But those run $50-150, depending on the features you want.

The best thing you could do is to get one of these

http://store.go4retro.com/zoomfloppy/

You hook up your floppy to usb on your pc. The best you can get as "cable"

Oooo! Interesting. I do something similar on my Apple II using ADT Pro and a ethernet card. I didn't realize something similar existed for the C-64. I might have to look into this. :)

I need to look into this as well. I recently got a 64C and 1541 up and running and there are just too many games I would like to get/try that i can't find or afford.

Also would come in handy for these... http://www.gtw64.co.uk/ this is "games that weren't" for the C64. Very cool. I really want to try Space Ace (only one level) on the 64!!

• 2 weeks later...

What you have to understand is that a sd2uiec is no floppy substitute, it is like a Harddisc. But the real floppy has logic that can be programmed and is used on every non-kernal using loader. What does that mean for the user? Well, you won't have any troubles with onefiled games, there are a lot of them BUT most multiloader will not work at all. There are some patched ones ok, but generally 90%+ of all cracked or original copies will not work as they use altered loader routines to speed up the depacker load of the files or just the load.

If you have jiffy dos in your computer then sd2iec is really fast at loading single files.

If you want to have a real 100% substitute that emulates the floppy then there are just 2 possibilities

1541u2 or the chameleon.

Most people arent aware of the fact that sd2iec is no 1541 emulator, it is just a "stupid" piece of hardware with heaps of space. A nice tool for daily work but no equivalent of a 1541.