IGNORED

HSC9 Round 10: Crystal Castles

CRYSYAL CASTLES

From memory there's the prototype which plays faster than the official "XE" release so we'll play any version and deal with any scoring irregularities if we have any - so it's spot the difference time Atari gamers ;)

[Play without using warps]

For a bonus game I'll chuck in Page 6's Heavy Metal (by Paul Lay) I seem to remember this was an excellent magazine game. This is vaguley in keeping with the Isometric theme, which not by coincidence is a current thread on the main A8 forum :-o trigger finger on the pulse here in the HSC :D

Standard HSC Scoring for Crystal Castles. Heavy Metal 1 HSC point per Jewel collected.

The 1988 "XE" version was played way back at the start of season 5; the record is 602,089 held by former HSC great dodgers. 1pt bonus for beating this score [using warps]

Games Close Monday 9th July 10am BST

New players welcome to join in, just play and post, don't worry about screenshots :thumbsup:

Downloads and info on the games here:

Crystal Castles - atarimania 1984 Proto, 1988 Release, Fandal 1984 1988, WIKI

Heavy Metal - atarimania, Fandal, Page 6 Mag #33

Found it a bit difficult at first to get the 3D movement, first couple of goes were 60k and 66k then I started to get the hang of it.

Although something weird happened in the middle, I'm pretty sure I jumped some levels and my score shot up. Did I do a warp?

1988 Cart 523k

post-29593-0-05667600-1340742841_thumb.jpg

Edited by McKong

hee hee I knew this would be Crystal Chaos - we'll say everything goes until we work out the scoring then we'll split off the scores into different tables perhaps... I'm guessing if you warp you miss out on easy points but get to levels where there are more points available???

Anyways had a go on my 1984 multiboot copy, completed about 10 screens with no warps - the bonus is 1000 +100 per screen so you can keep track. 67,684 147,883 :)

post-19705-0-63335200-1340746724_thumb.jpg

Heavy Metal - bagged 2 Jewels - players can press Option (F4) to start on the last screen reached - you can then go back for previously discovered Jewels.... Press Fire to stop your baked bean on a square - but sometimes best just to keep moving. The warps seem fixed and there are only 35 screens so either good memory or pen and paper required ;) (readup on Page 6 Mag link on 1st post). Hopefully Mr Lay will see we're playing this :)