IGNORED

Any flash cart interest

gameofyou

My understanding is that the Skunkboard is NOT a flashcart similar to the Everdrive, which is why mentioned it, above. However, your reply leads me to believe I am in error? So the Skunkboard works like an Everdrive - put an entire library on flash memory? If not, then I reiterate that there's probably demand for a flash cart, as opposed to a developer cart.

Skunkboard is a flashcart just like my Tototek Genesis flashcart is, they are both externally programmed flashcarts (USB for the Skunk, parallel port for the Tototek). The Everdrive and like devices are internally programmed flashcarts. They have their own separate storage (SD, CF, etc) and program themselves in system. ;)

For me, a flash cart is any cartridge with flash memory inside

Exactly.

Original poster: Go buy a Skunkboard.

I think you missed the part where the OP said he makes things like this.

I for one would like to see a "convenient" flash cart, much like the EverDrive. So, to the OP--if you can do it, DO IT! I'll buy it. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

I suppose "convenient flashcart" would be the term of interest, then. Looks like the Jag will never see one, so this thread is pointless

Keep in mind the Jag CF card exists and has been aready demoed even if so far it is not for sale and other thing, there is a project for a cheap card using flash memory under dev too: those 2 items could be the future of the Jag.

Today I see mainly 3 possibilities to play homebrews on a real Jag: BJL, Skunkboard and burning them on CD-R for the jag CD.

Edited by Felyx

JagCF is much more than what's being called a "convenient flashcart" above, which is why we don't already have them I suppose ;-) That kind of functionality was demonstrated quite some time ago.

There's no reason why a "convenient flashcart" can't be be designed for Jaguar, so this thread is far from pointless. Plenty of people would go for something like this.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 4

I prefer flash carts with removable media storage (be it CF or SD cards). It's sometimes a pain to have to use a PC to burn a new game. SD cards are ubiquitous these days, so any new flash cart without an SD card interface is a no go for many people, and certainly for me.

My "ideal" for a flash cart is enough flash for a decent menu, enough ram for the largest game possible (say 8 MB for the Jag given its 6 MB space), and an SD interface. I suppose a compatible EEPROM for the Jag would be nice too. A simple GPIO interface to the SD slot accessed by Jerry would be good for SDIO transfers - almost no hardware required and with a special Jerry bin, completely asynchronous to the "main" processor. It wouldn't be as fast as a hardware DMA SPI interface, but that's not really needed for a simple cart like this. Jerry should be able to manage a few hundred KB per sec, and that's plenty for the Jaguar.

Edited by Chilly Willy
  • Like 2

I would love to see a real flash cartridge because Skunkboard did 3 runs and 0 upgrades. People would make money out of it anyway.

It doesn't support save features.

It need a whole computer to just flash a game.

It has 2 extra usb ports just to tease you.

It has protections for games like BattleSphere Gold, because Atari games are ok to load but this game is a sin or else the guy that hold tons of copies and pop one each 6 months on ebay wouldn't get $1.5k.

The happy part is that anyone with an eeprom programmer can play that game on the Jaguar. (and the game suck)

Loading is slow on some computers. 15kb/s and developers know about this but have no idea why: again 0 upgrades.

So yeah, a real flash cartridge that can load games without a computer with save feature no "it's not for piracy" propaganda would sell.

By the way: every 1 or 2 months a new dead sunkboard shows up on ebay.

And yet by the way the JagWare is dead. It's easier the second come of Christ with the JagWare flash cartridge on his hands than the guys finishing it.

Edited by GeneralMurdock

It has protections for games like BattleSphere Gold, because Atari games are ok to load but this game is a sin or else the guy that hold tons of copies and pop one each 6 months on ebay wouldn't get $1.5k.

The happy part is that anyone with an eeprom programmer can play that game on the Jaguar. (and the game suck)

Hi, what does this mean? (I'm rather ignorant of later Jaguar happenings) You mean the Skunkboard checks to see what you're attempting to play, and circumvents certain titles? Sorry if I'm way off-base here, but I'm attempting to pick up some bits and pieces of the scene.

Hi, what does this mean? (I'm rather ignorant of later Jaguar happenings) You mean the Skunkboard checks to see what you're attempting to play, and circumvents certain titles? Sorry if I'm way off-base here, but I'm attempting to pick up some bits and pieces of the scene.

Special protection of some sort was put in to appease the BS gods. Glad I bought my legit copies at retail price!

Yes, it checks for an upload to flash of either BS or BSG and nothing else. I have to add, BTW, that circumventing such 'protection' is pretty trivial. :P

Yes, it checks for an upload to flash of either BS or BSG and nothing else. I have to add, BTW, that circumventing such 'protection' is pretty trivial. :P

It's not trivial at all to bypass the BattleSphere protection on the Skunkboard.

I did days of Hex editing the rom without success.

If you know something speak up or PM if you wish to remain this subject in private.

And yet by the way the JagWare is dead. It's easier the second come of Christ with the JagWare flash cartridge on his hands than the guys finishing it.
Who knows? :P

It's not trivial at all to bypass the BattleSphere protection on the Skunkboard.

I did days of Hex editing the rom without success.

You're not doing it right, then.

If you know something speak up or PM if you wish to remain this subject in private.
Yeah, I'm sure those who know how to circumvent this are going to tell you, or even post about it in a public forum. That would be such an intelligent idea...
  • Like 5

I'd love a Jag flashcart, but I seriously doubt it will happen any time soon. The Jaguar community is full of enough crazies that if something like this did come to pass they actively sabotage it or get it shut down through other methods. I've said it once and I'll say it again, there are some serious psychos in the Jag community. We have a theory that it's something in the plastic.

• Like 9

Yeah, I'm sure those who know how to circumvent this are going to tell you, or even post about it in a public forum. That would be such an intelligent idea...

Or just avoid reading the PM part of my previews post, ignoring it. You can always PM me.

Or... you can do like every kid does: Nah Nah Nah I know it Nah Nah but I won't tell you Nah Nah Nah just because you know nothing.

BTW: you won't get any kind of law issue for the following reasons:

1. You're not providing the rom.

2. People provide patchs and patchs are legal.

3. You are not circunventing the skunkboard altering it but altering the rom.

So yeah, it's a good idea to spread the word on how to by pass it, unless you don't know how to.

Either way, how cares? An eeprom programmer and a donor cartridge is all you need to play this game and it sucks.

Edited by GeneralMurdock

How close is Jag CF to shipping? With keyboard/mouse support you could probably hack at EmuTOS and MiNT to give you the new Jag ST :)

Have you got any children? If so, and they have children, they might be in luck!

(SCPCD is going to kill me now Mini_Nyan_Cat.gif )

• Like 5

JagCF is much more than what's being called a "convenient flashcart" above, which is why we don't already have them I suppose ;-) That kind of functionality was demonstrated quite some time ago.

There's no reason why a "convenient flashcart" can't be be designed for Jaguar, so this thread is far from pointless. Plenty of people would go for something like this.

May I ask you a favor SH3-rg? Please stop quoting people using black or dark grey text; some of us use the alternate AA site "look" which is a dark grey background and your quotes don't show up. I just don't want to change style or have to highlite everything you quote. Please. pretty please?

How close is Jag CF to shipping? With keyboard/mouse support you could probably hack at EmuTOS and MiNT to give you the new Jag ST :)

Have you got any children? If so, and they have children, they might be in luck!

(SCPCD is going to kill me now Mini_Nyan_Cat.gif )

LOL! I can't remember how long ago I first heard the JagCF was coming out...it may have even been the last century! I'll have to get myself cryogenically frozen to wait for it! :-o:grin:

Please. pretty please?

Weird, I'm only using the quote button, not setting anything manually. I manually just typed a plain quote /quote above - did that work ok?

Anyway, you're not missing much, it's probably best if nobody reads my posts :P

Post #30 is the one I'm refering too, but I see it happen in a lot of your quotes, so what ever you did to quote post #30 is the problem. Normally the site adjust text for whatever style one is using, and it only happens with your posts, nobody else, at all, so it must be something you are doing. And it's not the whole reply, the first line (in most of these replies) is readable, but then when you start the "quote" area it changes to either black or dark grey text (not sure which, I know I just can't see it with my dark background choice).
Edited by Gunstar

Or just avoid reading the PM part of my previews post, ignoring it. You can always PM me.

Or... you can do like every kid does: Nah Nah Nah I know it Nah Nah but I won't tell you Nah Nah Nah just because you know nothing.

BTW: you won't get any kind of law issue for the following reasons:

1. You're not providing the rom.

2. People provide patchs and patchs are legal.

3. You are not circunventing the skunkboard altering it but altering the rom.

So yeah, it's a good idea to spread the word on how to by pass it, unless you don't know how to.

Either way, how cares? An eeprom programmer and a donor cartridge is all you need to play this game and it sucks.

It's funny that the majority of people that say the game sucks are the ones that are pissed they can't pirate it. If it's such a shit game, why do you want a copy?

• Like 3

Ah, a straight-from-the-textbook reverse-psychology attempt. Nice try, but it's not gonna work.

Plus your argument isn't very good. Just because something is not against the law doesn't mean it's a good idea. Revealing info about the Skunkboard protection would help people intending to pirate BS(G) (which is a principle I don't condone, regardless of my negative opinion of the game and its authors), would be useless to others, and would hurt kskunk & Tursi.

Plus... as you say yourself, if the game is bad, why even bother?

• Like 6

Post #30 is the one I'm refering too, but I see it happen in a lot of your quotes, so what ever you did to quote post #30 is the problem. Normally the site adjust text for whatever style one is using, and it only happens with your posts, nobody else, at all, so it must be something you are doing. And it's not the whole reply, the first line (in most of these replies) is readable, but then when you start the "quote" area it changes to either black or dark grey text (not sure which, I know I just can't see it with my dark background choice).

Ah weird, but I think I know what it might be. I never trust forum software to not lose my messages (although AA's autosave is pretty good). So I edit text in the same tooI tinker with bits of code and text, it's probably picking up some formatting there somehow. I consider my wrists slapped and will try not to block my posts out with that any more ;-)