IGNORED

Any flash cart interest

gameofyou

I appreciate its a really touchy subject talking about commercial games and such.

These days more time is spent talking about how touchy a subject commercial ROMs is than anyone being touchy about them. Even back in the day it only really exploded when people trolled for response. I think people just like to say that.

• Like 1

These days more time is spent talking about how touchy a subject commercial ROMs is than anyone being touchy about them.

I don't see that much discussion on that subject at all, but have noticed the response to certain posts, usually posts by people new to this forum, seems to be handled in a more sensible and reasonable manner. What occurred was a transition, from that of 'pounce!, they want to come and plunder our games! banish them now!' to a more considered 'we don't discuss that kind of thing here, maybe it'd be more productive if your first posts in the Jaguar forum didn't touch on that subject, welcome to our forum'.

Even back in the day it only really exploded when people trolled for response. I think people just like to say that.

It's easy to look back with a hint of rosey spectacles, but the forum search facility knows what occurred and when. Much of the noise came from a very few people and their hangers-on, of whom none post here now for various reasons. Maybe they realised spending all their free time in a paranoid frenzy over a perceived piracy menace was in fact self-defeating, as it left on a few minutes here and there to actually write any code, position a few pixels or just generally be productive and positive members of "the community"? Or maybe they continue their crusade in pastures new...

• Like 8

Much of the noise came from a very few people and their hangers-on, of whom none post here now for various reasons. Maybe they realised spending all their free time in a paranoid frenzy over a perceived piracy menace was in fact self-defeating, as it left on a few minutes here and there to actually write any code, position a few pixels or just generally be productive and positive members of "the community"?

Given the ranting/trolling individuals there - not a chance...

Good news is we no longer have to hear their horseshit. :D

• Like 1

I think I'm gonna do some research and see what it would take to put together a simple flash cart. Not saying I'll actually do it, but I'd like to understand the process at least. Maybe something with one memory bank and a save EEPROM. It'd be fairly easy to put together a flash device that the Jaguar could boot from, I think, but the challenging part (for me, anyway) would be figuring out how to include the proper hardware/firmware for programming the thing over USB.

Mmmh... the Skunkboard schematics and software are available for free. Do you want to reinvent the wheel ? :)

I think you've missed the point of my post. My goal is not necessarily to produce another flash cart, it's just to understand the process that goes into making something like this work.

First you capture a live Jaguar using only chickens strapped to your waist and oxen blood. Whilst flailing around like a clubbed seal you must DUCK before it leaps - sending it headlong into the doggie travel container. Once you've bribed the border patrol and flown to less third-wordly destinations you can secretly copy the SpunkBoard schematics..

..profit!!

Considering the regularity with which Krikzz pumps out flash carts, I don't think it's that difficult if someone has a working knowledge of such things. The only thing in my opinion stopping an Everdrive-type device from being made for the Jaguar is the limited audience.

I for one would love a flash cart for the Jag, and I would absolutely fill it up with teh romz.

Chris

• Like 2

Much of the noise came from a very few people and their hangers-on

You can call it looking back with rosey spectacles, but I think you missed half my point, which was that certain other people were very happy to feed those few people you note just enough hints and taunts to keep the noise level high. In fact, those certain people still love to bring those few up all the time, even though none of them have posted here for years. That's where my comments were going.

I can easily find a half dozen posts in the last 3 months where people, unprompted, mention how they realize talking about playing commercial ROMs is a terrible hot button, when in fact it hasn't been for a very long time. :)

But, no big deal. I've been around for long enough myself now. I just think it's time to let that go.

• Like 1

I have a hard time believing most people in the Jag community want to fill a flash cart with ROMzorz. I'd like to see a small flash cart for single game distribution. Put a USB port somewhere that can be hidden by a cart label and serve.

I can not imagine that would be a very practical way to distribute new games on cartridge; a one-time use interface for flashing the ROM on every cartridge complete with a usb port that isn't supposed to be used by the end user. That would just result in a game that was unnecessarily expensive to the end-user. For such a need, it'd make more sense to just make a run of PCBs that have the layout to take just enough hardware to run games off of EPROMs. If someone can figure out how to program a game, they can probably figure out how to use an EPROM programmer.

Personally, as I've more or less already stated, if someone makes an SD-card enabled flash cartridge similar to the everdrive cartridges with menu system that can run most of the games at a price point similar to that of the everdrive cartridges, I would buy it, and then I would buy a jaguar to put it in. Nothing else would even register for me at all.

I can not imagine that would be a very practical way to distribute new games on cartridge; a one-time use interface for flashing the ROM on every cartridge complete with a usb port that isn't supposed to be used by the end user.

http://www.atariage....t/#entry2551787

also, whats that sitting on my Jaguar... ? :D

post-5887-0-32743100-1353689110_thumb.jpg

• Like 7