IGNORED

Atari 2700 prototype found

jehuie

Hello all, I'm brand new to this forum and may not spend a lot of time here since I'm more into coin-op arcade games. But I met a guy who has an Atari prototype machine. He also has some cartridges for it and some that he says are prototypes. I don't know much about this kind of thing but I told him I'd try to get an idea of the value on something like this.

He actually has other old Atari stuff as well that I'll try to get more info on. Here's his own words from his e-mail to me:

"It powers up. I have attached a video showing that it did power. Sorry no image, I don't have a TV to support it ...

It is an early prototype. The date on the tag says it was was #9. It was built 5 days after our wedding by one of my team mates while I was on my honeymoon. It was mine ever since we got back and I returned to work. I tested a few of the games with it.

Two of the carts are prototype ... Missile Command and Pinball. That's my hand writing on the cart. I remember burning those from the source control system and putting them together myself....

Great memories of that place!"

Here's a few pics:

7506046624_fba5730d49_b.jpg

7506047090_9f7133d430_b.jpg

7506046306_a23144df48_b.jpg

7506046932_655a50e692_b.jpg

7506047634_ce598fb65d_b.jpg

Edited by jehuie

Sure is pretty. You got a price in mind?

Well it's not mine to sell. But I wanted to get a sense of the level of interest. He's indicated that he's open to selling it though and I'm sure he would like to make some money. He seems hesitant to go the eBay route and I think he'd like to see it end up in good hands. Maybe a museum even.

Well it's not mine to sell. But I wanted to get a sense of the level of interest. He's indicated that he's open to selling it though and I'm sure he would like to make some money. He seems hesitant to go the eBay route and I think he'd like to see it end up in good hands. Maybe a museum even.

I would humbly suggest sending a PM to AtariAge user Wonder007 about this prototype console. :) He is one of our top collectors and in particular is a top collector of prototype 2600 hardware and carts, and if you want it to go to good hands, he will certainly be the best possible hands for it to go into -- he takes meticulous care of all of his items and is bar-none one of the most caring members of our hobby. :thumbsup:

A.) You should not have turned that on, without a cart in the slot, my $0.02. You best get this machine tested.

B.) The shipping is madness for an item with such a high opening bid, it should be free.

C.) The feedback is an issue for me, I am staying out of this one, even though I don't have this one.

A.) You should not have turned that on, without a cart in the slot, my $0.02. You best get this machine tested.

B.) The shipping is madness for an item with such a high opening bid, it should be free.

C.) The feedback is an issue for me, I am staying out of this one, even though I don't have this one.

D.) this should be posted in Auction Central now. :D

I would humbly suggest sending a PM to AtariAge user Wonder007 about this prototype console. :) He is one of our top collectors and in particular is a top collector of prototype 2600 hardware and carts, and if you want it to go to good hands, he will certainly be the best possible hands for it to go into -- he takes meticulous care of all of his items and is bar-none one of the most caring members of our hobby. :thumbsup:

Thanks CC for recommending me on this console. However, I already have one......it is in much better shape too!! :) I do need the box for it. Now, if anybody has an Atari 2000 black and blue version or an Atari 2700 box, I will definitely pursue that...... :)

More feedback and credibility??

Yes as CPUWIZ mentioned in a previous post many might be wary about bidding or flat out buying from an Ebay seller with so little feedback, in this case the seller had: Positive feedback: 0% |Feedback score: 1. and is looking to sell for thousands of dollars? Many, myself included would only consider bidding or buying from a seller on Ebay who has a proven record of several sales in combination with high positive feedback like 99% - 100%, it greatly reduces risk as it is a proven track record (common sense) there is never a guarantee of course but if you going to buy from a seller with very little feedback and practically no positive feedback then your taking a far greater risk especially with such a high priced item up for sale.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

I'm the original poster on this. I didn't know he was going to list it on eBay. But I do know that he had some private inquiries from serious buyers. I haven't seen him yet but my guess is that he sold it to someone offline. I will probably see him tomorrow and see if I can get the scoop.