IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

This one is probably about the 6 attempt, the main concern was getting proper shading on the dress. I am still not happy with the color streaking across the breast, I'd hoped for more curved shading there, I am still unhappy with the facial details. I let this last one run all night, about 650 million evaluations, but it looked no different to my eyes that it did at 100 million the night before. I still find my best pictures look 90% done by 10 million evaluations, if not, there's no point in letting it run further. Stop, change options and try again until it's acceptable. Still no masking used, I haven't seen an image yet, where masking was used, that impressed me enough to try it beyond what I can get just adjusting the controls.

You are absolutely right in your assessment, the quality of the image definitely depends on the subject matter. For every image I post, there are 3 others I could not get to an acceptable level for me to share publicly. But I've come close and think I can return to them later and get some improvement, I just get sick of multiple attempts with the same image to look at and move on to another subject.

Also, I misremembered, it's 74 colors, not 71. To late to edit the image post...

Here is the .xex of it at 100 million evaluations:

VenusGotAGun.xex

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Here's one I just ran off this morning. Stopped at only 30 million evaluations, my least yet with near-perfect results. 98% identical to destination image. Of course the subject matter is easily handled. 45 colors.

post-149-0-45882200-1493575920.png

i-Loiter.xex

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 8

By the way, this is a photograph of a toy robot standing in a miniature (HO railroad) town. Old-old school special effects. I have some more like this I am going to try. I am still running the image through Rasta, and will also attempt a dithered version.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

I don't know for sure, it looked familiar to me too. I think it is a real toy robot that was sold at one time. These are, as far as I know, public domain images I use, and most don't even have a title

Edited by Gunstar

Here is a dithered version, 43 million evaluations. 59 colors. also attached is the original .xex at 57 million evaluations. By the way, I'm not just arbitrarily stopping them, even if I think the images are "good enough," I wait until the changes slow to a crawl, maybe 500,000-1,000,000 evaluations without change. After that, change is an extremely low %.

post-149-0-38023800-1493590379.png

i-LoiterD.xex

i-Loiter57mil.xex

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 5

Can you do a version of it that's vertically centered?

I guess there is no easy solution to do that afterwards?

And initially there is none too?

So I would have to create a bigger image with a black area on top and run through the ~500 mio iterations again?

I guess there is no easy solution to do that afterwards?

I'm not sure. It may be possible to just move all data in Graph2Font, by importing as an MCH file. I haven't tried using any "move" operations on these files yet.

And initially there is none too?

So I would have to create a bigger image with a black area on top and run through the ~500 mio iterations again?

I always create at 240 pixels height and then adjust the image to be centered.

It's up to you if you feel like reprocessing it. I always think they look better centered. But if you're satisfied and don't want to hassle, no problem. If it can be done in Graph2Font, though, it should be quite simple.

Actually, I wouldn't mind fixing it and running here on my machine if Graph2Font can't be used. I'd just need the original and the settings you applied.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

Actually, I wouldn't mind fixing it and running here on my machine if Graph2Font can't be used. I'd just need the original and the settings you applied.

Ok, please do so (as I found no way to open the files in G2F, is that really possible?):

post-7778-0-69963600-1493662408.png

Input parameters are the more or less usual (for me): /init=smart /s=5000

Good luck!

...And since Philsan "doesn't allow" posts without images ;) :

post-7778-0-28561200-1493662720.png

Batman.xex

• Like 6

(as I found no way to open the files in G2F, is that really possible?)

You need to use this program to create an MCH file, which can then be loaded into Graph2Font: RC2MCH

But, this converter only takes data from the most recent RastaConverter job (unless you've backed up the files from a previous job). So, you'll most likely end up with Batman at this time.

• Like 2

Sorry again to break the "rules" of this topic again but I have no .png's to go with these .xex's. If Philsan can make more Altirra screen-shots, that's cool, but I don't have an emulator set-up or know how to use such features anyway.

I am posting .xex's that I deem the best-of-the-worst of my many attempts at some sci-fi art. These were in my unsatisfactory "throw away" folder of Rasta images. Stuff I was keeping in my own files, because it is hard to get rid of images, even ones that didn't turn out as I wanted, after so many hours of attempts and trying new settings and attempting again and again. So I keep my many attempts of stuff that doesn't meet my personal expectations, sort through the doubles later, keeping what I feel is the best of failed attempts. Here are some from my sci-fi genre that I have decided to release, because others might enjoy seeing them.

The reasoning for a change of heart being that some of the images don't look so bad, on their own, days later, when not directly comparing them to the original and destination images. Maybe I'm just too picky? You decide.

AmIinYourWay.xex

beamMeUp.xex

DyingWorld.xex

FutureFreeway.xex

JourneysEnd.xex

MonstersFromEarth.xex

WorldsCollide.xex

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

Sorry again to break the "rules" of this topic again but I have no .png's to go with these .xex's. If Philisan can make more Altirra screen-shots, that's cool, but I don't have an emulator set-up or know how to use such features anyway.

I am posting .xex's that I deem the best-of-the-worst of my many attempts at some sci-fi art. These were in my unsatisfactory "throw away" folder of Rasta images. Stuff I was keeping in my own files, because it is hard to get rid of images, even ones that didn't turn out as I wanted, after so many hours of attempts and trying new settings and attempting again and again. So I keep my many attempts of stuff that doesn't meet my personal expectations, sort through the doubles later, keeping what I feel is the best of failed attempts. Here are some from my sci-fi genre that I have decided to release, because others might enjoy seeing them.

The reasoning for a change of heart being that some of the images don't look so bad, on their own, days later, when not directly comparing them to the original and destination images. Maybe I'm just too picky? You decide.

post-12528-0-81070400-1494102516.png post-12528-0-48342500-1494102517.png

post-12528-0-13130900-1494102518.png post-12528-0-79996000-1494102518.png

post-12528-0-48278900-1494102519.png post-12528-0-14183600-1494102520.png

post-12528-0-79988700-1494102520.png

• Like 6

Thank you. I'll try and remember to keep .png's of my thow-away's in the future too. But up to now, I just get fed up with an image, make an .xex to study later (to decide what setting changes might help) and move on to another image. But if people enjoy these images, maybe there won't be so many throw-aways in the future. Not that I will be more lax on my quality standards in the future. ;)

• Like 2

Well, I can't figure out how my output.png of ELO didn't seem to get saved. Here is a dithered version, with the output.png. 65 colors, 130 mil. evaluations.

ELOD.xex

post-149-0-22772700-1494374110.png

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 4