IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

I wish these conversions were further along than they are but if I wait until I'm completely satisfied I might not have any picture before Christmas, truthfully.

ATR with MyPicoDOS v4.06 menu

attachicon.gifa8isa1_xmas_pics_2017.zip

ZIP with executables and customized palette

attachicon.gifa8isa1_xmas_ntsc.zip

These are good pictures and good colors.

But still crash on exit with return or START key requiring a power off and power on to see the next picture.

I wish you would re-download the RasterView converter and replace the original version.

These are good pictures and good colors.

But still crash on exit with return or START key requiring a power off and power on to see the next picture.

I wish you would re-download the RasterView converter and replace the original version.

I use the skeletal source code supplied with Rastaconverter beta 7. (I forget the revision number. 5.1 maybe). I'm not aware of anything newer.

The Rastaconverter executable is one of the ICL17 optimization but the skeletal code for the generator (script plus mads assembler) is the same.

The program's exit appears to be a jump indirect to DOSVEC. I don't know why it crashes and I don't have the coding chops to fix it.

I'm new to this whole RastaConverter aspect, and I just downloaded the GUI version last night and did my first conversion (please don't ask what it looks like). Anyway I figure like all new things it'll require some learning to to really create beautiful conversions like what many of you have been doing. But one thing I noticed when I run the converted XEX files, if I press any key after the image is displayed it goes wonky, and turns into a flickering black and green hi contrast version. Is this normal?

- Michael

You go "wow" in the GUI 3 screen preview since it's a small pic and looks good.

Load in the emulator and it looks a bit worse. Use a real machine and sometimes end up with a turd.

I would think behaviour after loading depends on what if any Dos environment exists. Emulation "Load executable" will generally just inject a program into Ram without leaving any trace of a loader or Dos so pressing the exit key will give you that.

Supposedly a normal Dos that's not a memory hog should return to the menu.

Seems, the mission in this thread is to find the pictures that "have been made" for the A8 ;)

No, the mission is to get better and better at choosing the proper settings in Rastaconverter to make it look like the pictures "have been made" for the A8. This is an image that I have been trying to get "right" for a very long time, at least 2 dozen attempts over the last year. Most have been pretty good, but there's always been something that bugged me in each one...

• Like 2

I'm new to this whole RastaConverter aspect, and I just downloaded the GUI version last night and did my first conversion (please don't ask what it looks like). Anyway I figure like all new things it'll require some learning to to really create beautiful conversions like what many of you have been doing. But one thing I noticed when I run the converted XEX files, if I press any key after the image is displayed it goes wonky, and turns into a flickering black and green hi contrast version. Is this normal?

- Michael

You are exactly right, it will take a LOT of practice to start getting good conversions. out of the probably 100 or more pictures I've done over the last year, only 1 or 2 "just came out the right way" without multiple attempts. 99% of what I post have at least a half-dozen attempts, most much more than that. Though as I get better at using Rastaconverter, the amount of attempts has been steadily declining as I get better at guessing what settings I think a picture will convert best at.

And yes, as stated, the "crashing" when a button is pressed is normal. I do my viewing with APEloader, because with it and my Warp+ OS I have a cold-reset by holding SELECT when I press RESET, instead of a power-cycle, if you press any other keys it crashes and a cold boot is needed anyway. Others have made SpartaDOS batch files to display the images without crashing, I intend to use this way eventually too, once I get all the images transferred over and I create the batch file to do it.

It would be nice if a real viewer was created with slide-show options, etc. and load the next picture up at a touch of a button instead of crashing...maybe even loading several images into memory at once for extended memory systems, to flip through without more loading, I think every image I've done was under 23K memory.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Thanks for your explanation of why I was seeing the crashing. I was concerned that it might have been a fault with my system, but am glad to hear otherwise.

Others have made SpartaDOS batch files to display the images without crashing, I intend to use this way eventually too, once I get all the images transferred over and I create the batch file to do it.

Yes I was wondering if that was possible. It would be interesting to see an example of that batch file.

It would be nice if a real viewer was created with slide-show options, etc. and load the next picture up at a touch of a button instead of crashing...maybe even loading several images into memory at once for extended memory systems, to flip through without more loading, I think every image I've done was under 23K memory.

That would be ideal. Any thoughts as to if this is in the works?

- Michael

• Like 2

LS A*.XEX >>ALLA.BAT
LS B*.XEX >>ALLB.BAT
LS C*.XEX >>ALLC.BAT
LS D*.XEX >>ALLD.BAT
LS E*.XEX >>ALLE.BAT
LS F*.XEX >>ALLF.BAT
LS G*.XEX >>ALLG.BAT
LS H*.XEX >>ALLH.BAT
LS I*.XEX >>ALLI.BAT
LS J*.XEX >>ALLJ.BAT
LS K*.XEX >>ALLK.BAT
LS L*.XEX >>ALLL.BAT
LS M*.XEX >>ALLM.BAT
LS N*.XEX >>ALLN.BAT
LS O*.XEX >>ALLO.BAT
LS P*.XEX >>ALLP.BAT
LS R*.XEX >>ALLR.BAT
LS S*.XEX >>ALLS.BAT
LS T*.XEX >>ALLT.BAT
LS U*.XEX >>ALLU.BAT
LS V*.XEX >>ALLV.BAT
LS W*.XEX >>ALLW.BAT
LS X*.XEX >>ALLX.BAT
LS Y*.XEX >>ALLY.BAT
LS Z*.XEX >>ALLZ.BAT
ECHO End dobat..

For SpartaDos x 4.44x.

• Like 5

Two PAL pictures.

post-9154-0-44425400-1513878967.pngpost-9154-0-51875900-1513879006.png
a8isa1_hearth1_PAL.xexa8isa1_xmas_kitten_PAL.xex

and one PAL "quick conversion"

post-9154-0-77216600-1513879062.png

a8isa1_blue_train_PAL.xex

For best viewing use my customized PAL palette (with Atari800 Emulator)

a8isa1_custom_PAL_palette.zip

For Altirra you can use *Default (PAL)* preset and set Saturation to 45.

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 5

could you render kitty Christmas in ntsc, really work it... I've been advised that it's cute and would like to be displayed in the house.

Now look what you started There is a request for Puppy Christmas, yes Christmas puppies!

Edited by _The Doctor__

could you render kitty Christmas in ntsc, really work it... I've been advised that it's cute and would like to be displayed in the house.

Now look what you started There is a request for Puppy Christmas, yes Christmas puppies!

OK, they are on the queue.

One double mode render ahead of yours.

Pictures just take time but good luck if you are getting requests for real puppies. :P

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 2

Thanks for your explanation of why I was seeing the crashing. I was concerned that it might have been a fault with my system, but am glad to hear otherwise.

Yes I was wondering if that was possible. It would be interesting to see an example of that batch file.

That would be ideal. Any thoughts as to if this is in the works?

- Michael

LS A*.XEX >>ALLA.BATLS B*.XEX >>ALLB.BATLS C*.XEX >>ALLC.BATLS D*.XEX >>ALLD.BATLS E*.XEX >>ALLE.BATLS F*.XEX >>ALLF.BATLS G*.XEX >>ALLG.BATLS H*.XEX >>ALLH.BATLS I*.XEX >>ALLI.BATLS J*.XEX >>ALLJ.BATLS K*.XEX >>ALLK.BATLS L*.XEX >>ALLL.BATLS M*.XEX >>ALLM.BATLS N*.XEX >>ALLN.BATLS O*.XEX >>ALLO.BATLS P*.XEX >>ALLP.BATLS R*.XEX >>ALLR.BATLS S*.XEX >>ALLS.BATLS T*.XEX >>ALLT.BATLS U*.XEX >>ALLU.BATLS V*.XEX >>ALLV.BATLS W*.XEX >>ALLW.BATLS X*.XEX >>ALLX.BATLS Y*.XEX >>ALLY.BATLS Z*.XEX >>ALLZ.BATECHO End dobat..
For SpartaDos x 4.44x.

Glad that is possible to create slideshows with the existing xex files.

What would be the most useful change in the default viewer program to support loading inside a proper slide program?

Just asking as I'm taking a detour from doing my title screen to making a script that optimizes the raster program better and/or use a smaller DLIST. One of the goals is to convert the xex back if that's all you have. There's a small change in the viewer program to allow different DLISTS so making a small change to be more friendly to slideshow programs, should they be written, can be added. I don't know what DOS can feed back after the xex is returned from or whether a page 6 location or equivalent would be most useful?

• Like 4

On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, Star Raiders on an Atari.

Don't read too much into this the only true love spoken of here is Atari.

Edited by Gunstar

I think nowadays you would call it AI of Maschine learning ;)

You are exactly right, it will take a LOT of practice to start getting good conversions. out of the probably 100 or more pictures I've done over the last year, only 1 or 2 "just came out the right way" without multiple attempts. 99% of what I post have at least a half-dozen attempts, most much more than that. Though as I get better at using Rastaconverter, the amount of attempts has been steadily declining as I get better at guessing what settings I think a picture will convert best at.

And yes, as stated, the "crashing" when a button is pressed is normal. I do my viewing with APEloader, because with it and my Warp+ OS I have a cold-reset by holding SELECT when I press RESET, instead of a power-cycle, if you press any other keys it crashes and a cold boot is needed anyway. Others have made SpartaDOS batch files to display the images without crashing, I intend to use this way eventually too, once I get all the images transferred over and I create the batch file to do it.

• Like 1

I'm seeing a number of screens pumped out with lot's of banding lately. Has something changed? It is the goal to avoid or eliminate that as much as possible yes?

I'm aware that the santa's sleigh pic of mine has banding. Are you seeing it in any of my other pictures?

My xmas pics all need lots more processing but I didn't think I had the time. It's not just the processing. More times than not we have to stop one rendering and start over. Sometimes many tries are needed. For me, most pictures don't work out well at all. I set those aside.

The quality is great, it just requires trial and error, luck, image adjustments like size among other things. Having seen an image come out poorly, made no changes and did it again and it comes out excellent is nuts! But it happens!

I no longer have that kind of patience....

• Like 1