IGNORED

Get Lost!

Propane13

Ah, now people are starting to get to Exciting areas of the map!

For the climbing up against the wall, yes, it's intentional.

It may look a little funny, but our hero can balance precariously on his feet in some circumstances.

Glad to see interest in this game.

I really did enjoy all of those old DOS style games... Maybe that helped contribute to the final product.

-John

Is there a technical limitation that prevented you from making the game 4 way scrolling?

Also, this game rooocks!! Yeeaahh!!!! I love me some spelunking platform action =)

So, the story is that I was working on 4-way scrolling in 2003. I coulndn't get it to work as I wanted, so I scrapped the project, thinking that I would come back to it later. When I did look at it again, I couldn't understand that code at all, and it was very broken. So, I cleaned it up. When designing the game, I had an epiphany... That it might not be necessary, and could lead to a very different style of gameplay. By not scrolling, the player would have an increased feeling of fear of the unknown... That, and I could hide gems in places where you have to fall "just right". That could present new memory challenge elements. It seemed new to me, so I went with it. Here is the result.

Good question!

-John

spelunker for the nes is a awesome game. i can get to the end where you cant get any further, so maybe i will be decent at this new game. :grin:

I playes this a LOT on the NES. Are you saying that you got stuck, or that you beat the game? I've beaten it before, and remember that the keys either move or become invisible the second time through.

-John

Is it me or there's more homebrew (specifically from you two) than official games on the 78 now? xD

If not, it's getting to be a significant part of the 7800's library. I was trying to remember all that PacMan Plus made the other day and couldn't remember them all.

spelunker for the nes is a awesome game. i can get to the end where you cant get any further, so maybe i will be decent at this new game. :grin:

I playes this a LOT on the NES. Are you saying that you got stuck, or that you beat the game? I've beaten it before, and remember that the keys either move or become invisible the second time through.

-John

My first owned and one of my favorite NES games (Despite most negative reviews/comments of the game - Then again, I like ET too on the 2600].

Spelunker I must have played easily dozens to perhaps hundreds of times. The furthest I have gone is up to the next to last portion of the second go around of the game. I literally could not find one of the invisible keys and ran out of "life/air/time".

I like the NES port much better than the Arcade, ditto with Rygar (My favorite NES game).

Now back to the amazing program....

Absolutely love this game, addiction value - super high. Just wish I had more time to play.

What I believe helps the addiction factor is despite numerous deaths - your character moves so quickly and you can cover so much area, you don't feel like you're "dragging your feet" so to speak when you have to be brought back to a checkpoint and cover the same territory again. If your character was slower, I believe it would discourage (at least myself) from keeping at it and making more progress.

Really, the gameplay is truly on the money with this title.

Edited by Trebor
  • Like 1

My only suggestion for this so far is perhaps changing the color of the gemstone(s). The green color matches the grass fields and blends/dulls in a little too much. Maybe a Topaz or Amethyst-like color instead (?)

Edited by Trebor

-John

i beat it 3 times through then when you start the first board on the fourth time there are no keys so you cant pass the first board

i beat it 3 times through then when you start the first board on the fourth time there are no keys so you cant pass the first board

Very cool, Brian. That is quite the accomplishment. However, you can continue the fourth time, a fifth time and beyond.

The fourth and fifth time around require you to fire a flare, instead of jumping (Like you would do in the third time), in order to collect the invisible keys.

After the fifth go around, you need to fire a flare and immediately jump in order to collect the keys.

OK...That's enough Spelunker from me....Time for some more Get Lost...WOO-HOO!

Absolutely Awesome game Propane 13. I made up a cart and my friend AtariBrian was playing this last night. It is incredible now vast the playing area.

The game is extremely addictive and has a strong "Adventure for the 2600" feel to it IMO.

Thanks for sharing this and I am looking forward to the final product.

yeah, played it for 3 hours last night with one of yurkies modded ball knob prolines and all new dome contacts in it, perfect for that game. love the underwater valcanoes ... very nice touch. really wanted to get some long playing time using a 7800 with stock controllers. this game is pretty huge and what a great game. cant wait to see if you can come up with a nice catchy tune for the game.more to come