IGNORED

Most common cart?

davidcalgary29

IIRC, the Basic cart was included with every 800 or 400 because it wasn't built in like the XL or XE. It is the most common by far. I would pick Star Raiders as the next most common.

When I purchased my Atari 400 way back in 81, it did not come with an Atari BASIC cartridge. You had to either purchase the Atari "The Programmer" kit or just the Atari BASIC cartridge.

Star Raiders was the first cartridge we got and I believe the BASIC was the second.

WRL

IIRC, the Basic cart was included with every 800 or 400 because it wasn't built in like the XL or XE. It is the most common by far. I would pick Star Raiders as the next most common.

When I purchased my Atari 400 way back in 81, it did not come with an Atari BASIC cartridge. You had to either purchase the Atari "The Programmer" kit or just the Atari BASIC cartridge.

Star Raiders was the first cartridge we got and I believe the BASIC was the second.

WRL

Yeah...I think that the 400's at the time was retailing for $595 by itself. Basic was considered a luxury.

Yeah...I think that the 400's at the time was retailing for $595 by itself. Basic was considered a luxury.

I remember that I was in either 7th or 8th grade. I spent every single penny that I had made up to that point in my life to buy the Atari 400. We went down to Consumers, picked up the shiney silver box and went home. Once we hooked it up to the TV, I realized that I just bought a $600 Memo Pad .... then it was back to Consumers for the Entertainer kit ...

WRL

"Demon Attack" for the 8-bits is essentially identical to the 2600 version.  

It's kind of crappy, in other words.

Yeah I was disappointed with both Demon Attack and Atlantis. It seems like they did a direct port. Would it have killed them to spruce them up a bit?

Tempest

Time = Money - at best the 8bit represented minimal sales for them compared with the 2600/INTV versions...

So why would Imagic burn cash to produce a game that the extra investment would have produced no visible change in sales numbers?

The reality of teh market place is ALWAYS like that, so its no surprise really - I personally expected the 8bit version of Demon Attack to be like the INTV one only better, rather than the same as the 2600 version :)

sTeVE

When I purchased my Atari 400 way back in 81, it did not come with an Atari BASIC cartridge.  You had to either purchase the Atari "The Programmer" kit or just the Atari BASIC cartridge.  

WRL

Bill - I stand corrected! Kind of explains why Basic was sold in a seperate box. Guess it was only the 800 that came with a Basic cart.

Thanks

Well, guess that I am all wrong. :D You are probably right, the later packaging of 800 did not include the cart. What I am thinking of is the 800s that came in a plain brown box, not the later silver ones. Perhaps Curt or someone would know what Atari called the package.

Okay, here's the original box I remembered. You can see the BASIC box included:

i-2.JPG

And no Pac-Man is not included! It just happens to be there.