IGNORED

Rainbow 2.0.2 Atari 400/800XL/130XE/5200 Emulator released

chris_rainbow

Hm, on the surface this looks good. I use Altirra all the time, and alternative is always appreciated.

I do have a couple issues though. At the moment I can't get it to detect my gamepad at all (works fine in Altirra and Mame). Also, my keyboard didn't work (couldn't start Donkey Kong).

Any ideas? This is a Windows 2003 Server - basically an XP system. I downloaded the C++ runtimes etc.

Reboot seems to have fixed it. Maybe it was the updates I'd done to the system..... anyway - working now.

Next problem - anyone found that full screen (the only way i like to play emulators) there is an extreme speed degradation? In a window speed is good.

Edited by Vaughan

I'm betting the difference is the OS. I ran a trace on Rainbow, and it is using GDI StretchDIBits() to render images. Stretching an image through StretchDIBits() is very slow on versions of Windows prior to Vista (with WDDM), and you can run an order of magnitude faster simply by just doing the stretch yourself into a DIB and then doing an unscaled blit from that. Altirra avoids this bottleneck because it defaults to Direct3D.