IGNORED

Cloak & Dagger

doomwaves

So does this mean the game's not going to be finished and available?

Well, there's nothing preventing someone else from creating their own version. I'm disappointed that Comstock won't be finishing it, but I know how hard it is to develop a game in your spare time when you already have a demanding full-time technical job, so I think I can sympathize with his decision.

In the meantime, there's always the option of playing the original C&D on MAME.

• Like 1

Honestly I'd say it would be a better to start from scratch on a new C&D. Not only is the current prototype only 50%, but it suffers from the limitations that were in place at the time. A fresh homebrew version would probably turn out much better. Besides, I'm not sure what Dave's feelings are on someone finishing and selling his old work.

• Like 2

Speaking of the arcade version, I heard that apparently you could move Agent X's gun with a second controller. I set up MAME to use the 360's left analog stick as player 2's joystick, but it didn't do anything.

Yes, that arcade game used two joysticks just like Robotron. One moved and one fired.

The 360 controller is probably picked up as just one controller. On the computer versions of Mame the two stick control can be reconfigured by hitting the TAB key.

• 2 weeks later...

The 360 controller is probably picked up as just one controller. On the computer versions of Mame the two stick control can be reconfigured by hitting the TAB key.

The problem was that I was setting the general preferences on the tab menu. When I opened the game specific ones, it had definitions for right and left joystick, instead of player 1 and 2.

What's odd, though, is that apparently the left joystrick controlled the gun, and the right controlled movement, which is the opposite of what one would expect...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I played this game on MAME a while back. I had a hard time getting the controls to work right but, it seems to play a lot like Robotron 2084. The strange thing is, the rom I played had the Cloak & Dagger title screen. It was like being in the movie. :)

• 1 year later...

Just watched C&D last night for the first time in 30 years. I remember now why I liked the movie as a kid. It was highly imaginative and I could relate to the character of Davey Osbourne quite well (I'm about the same age as Henry Thomas). I would love to see the prototype for this game finally get finished and released (perhaps here on the AA store). Along with Tempest, it's probably the one unreleased game for the 5200 that really needs to see completion.

• Like 1

Just watched C&D last night for the first time in 30 years. I remember now why I liked the movie as a kid. It was highly imaginative and I could relate to the character of Davey Osbourne quite well (I'm about the same age as Henry Thomas). I would love to see the prototype for this game finally get finished and released (perhaps here on the AA store). Along with Tempest, it's probably the one unreleased game for the 5200 that really needs to see completion.

I wonder if the programmer could be enticed to finish it if we did a Kickstarter campaign.

I don't remember seeing the game in the arcades so I didn't know it used 2 joysticks. That makes it even more cool and would've brought up the number of 5200 games that could've used the Joystick Coupler to 3. [and had Atari ported their own Black Widow to the 5200, that would've been 4 titles!].

I'm with TRON Unit, I frikkin' love this movie. It was about 4 or 5 years ago I re-watched it again for the first time since I was a kid and I was blown away by how serious some of the subject matter was for a kids movie. Latchkey Kid syndrome, the ethics of a child killing people, killing people in general, using friends as assets and putting them into danger, you name it. The only sucky part is the end when you can tell the explosion is being projected onto a screen behind Dabney Coleman.

I hate to report this but Netflix no longer has it available for streaming in the US. Amazon has it but is charging $2.99 to rent it. It still hasn't been released on Blu-ray although there's rumors it will be released.

Let's not forget the other great kids movie that also served as an Atari commercial… D.A.R.Y.L.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tempest was actually an unreleased prototype which eventually did get completed. Cloak & Dagger is also an unfinished prototype. It's a shame the original programmer does not want to complete it. I wish that he would be willing to turn his rough prototype over to another developer to complete, otherwise a homebrew will have to be started from scratch.

• 3 weeks later...

I just found AtariAge and I'm so happy to see that I wasn't the only one that used the system. So I want to say hello! I have Cloak and Dagger on laserdisc (yes, I'm into old technology...well, it was kinda new at the time I bought it, though expensive DVDs were just hitting the market). I remember seeing the movie at the movie theater and was excited to see the 5200 being used. The game, though, I kept saying "there's no way they have graphics like that with that system." Of course there wasn't any way they could have it. We'll see what happens though. Maybe the creator will pick it up again after a few years.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Just watched this movie just makes me wish they did have it on the 5200 little other bit I noticed was that in the movie next to cloak and dagger games was a display of 5200 tempest games.

http://www.atariprotos.com/8bit/software/cloakdagger/gameboxes_large.jpg

Go back to post #64 in this thread, you can see high resolution pictures. Pictures might look blank, but click on them