IGNORED

what to look for when buying a jaguar

metzger130

I have been getting back into the old atari systems and have the2600, 5200, and 7800 but can not find a jaguar for under 100 on ebay and locally someone wanted close to 400 for the system and a couple of games which I think is pretty rediculous. I know these are harder to find and I would like to find one with 2 controllers and games if possible. Really as long as it has 2 controllers I can buy the games online several places that I have seen them for sale when trying to find that 5200 game I've been looking for.

Guess what I should ask is what should I be looking for when buying a jaguar. I don't know much about the system, never did use one, other then playing tempest on an emulator on my computer, just looks like a fun system and of course it's an atari and I want it for that reason. I know of a few games I wouldn't mind having, but like I said not necessary when I first get the system.

Another thing is how does the system hook up? I have a plasma TV that I use for my games, I currently run my atari's through a VCR so I can run it into the TV and it looks better then it does straight into the TV. I have available composite and component inputs, along with the regular RF through the VCR.

Thanks for the help

My only suggestion would be to find one that comes with a set of A/V cables. Trying to buy those separate is going to run you $20 - $30 alone, which is a bit much for a set of cables (the RF output on the Jag is terrible). I wouldn't worry so much about the controllers, because you can get used standard pads for about $15, nothing too crazy there. Also obviously make sure it's got the AC power brick. Anything else (such as games) is up to you, really. :)

You can get composite and s-video cables for the system. They look much much better than the RF cables the unit typically comes with and I wouldn't want to play one without the higher quality connection.

Here are two big things you really need to look for. One is that you know without a doubt that the system powers up and the second is that it doesn't produce a lot of red screens when clean carts are inserted. If a seller says the unit is untested, it comes without a power adapter, or they don't have a cart I would not buy it. People break these things by plugging in the wrong power supply all the time. The NES PSU has the exact same plug but uses the reverse polarity and that adapter will fry a Jag every time. On the other hand many people think that if they plug the unit into power and hit the power button the light should come on and the thing must be broken if it doesn't. The Jag will not turn on when no cart is inserted.

I've been dropping by a local retro gaming store a couple times a week for the last month or so. They have a unit in the back but they have been unable to test it. The guy thought he could sell the unit for $40 without all the cables and untested. I told him there is no way because people would get burned buying Jags in those cases. Today I dropped by and I took some spare cables, controller, and a couple games to try the unit out. Lucky for them it powered up but it was red screening each time. I cleaned the cart slot up and wiped the connectors. After that the unit worked fine. Now they can actually sell it as tested and working.

• Like 1

Look for a crazed look in the seller's eyes. If they are twitching uncontrollably or making Tourette's type statements about piracy, the true number of bits the system is, or how all the HATERZ need to get out, it's likely you've found a system in which the plastic has leeched into the person's brain. Jaguar plastic, when in the right circumstances, creates uncontrollable schizophrenia and complete and utter insanity. Asking the seller if they're a member of the Jaguar forums here will give you a pretty good diagnosis, for the most part.

• Like 7

only game i think you'd want 2 controllers for is Super Burnout. Unless you see yourself playing that alot with friends I don't see why you'd want 2. Still, you can buy controllers separatly for very cheap so I wouldn't be looking for such a bundle specifically.

Personally I'd add NBA Jam T.E., Raiden, and Brutal Sports Football to that list as well. Atari Karts is also fun split-screen, but it's too expensive to wholeheartedly recommend.

Come to think of it, doesn't Val D'Isere do splitscreen much like Super Burnout as well? If so, I'd also add that to the list of recommendable two-player games. :)

i was meaning if you wanted to play games that most non-jaguar fans would enjoy playing too. I know some jaguar fans like the games you mentioned (not in the context that I personally know these people) but they don't seem to hold most peoples attention. then again what people like is subjective so who knows. maybe theres fun to be had with them.

I used to play NBA Jam TE and Raiden back in the 90's with some friends but it's a chore to get someone to play one of these games over an x360 game today.

Edited by Willard

Having now almost all the Jag games, I learned that only one opinion matters: mine and I recommand you to pay a look at Youtube as almost all the Jaguar games, betas, or protos are shown there.

Some games are widely agreed-upon as being hits (AvP, Super Burnout, Rayman, Doom, Tempest 2000 for example) and some others as being pure shits ( Supercross 3D, Cub Drive...) but still if they match or not your taste you may have good/bad surprises.

Personnaly i don't play that much with the so called hits so it sounds important you get your own opinion wether only take in account the ones from others.

For WIllard, 2 controlers allow you to play many other games than only SUper Burn Out: what's about ultra Vortek, Raiden, World Tour Racing, Primal Rage, IWar etc...

• Like 1

only game i think you'd want 2 controllers for is Super Burnout. Unless you see yourself playing that alot with friends I don't see why you'd want 2. Still, you can buy controllers separatly for very cheap so I wouldn't be looking for such a bundle specifically.

Personally I'd add NBA Jam T.E., Raiden, and Brutal Sports Football to that list as well. Atari Karts is also fun split-screen, but it's too expensive to wholeheartedly recommend.

Come to think of it, doesn't Val D'Isere do splitscreen much like Super Burnout as well? If so, I'd also add that to the list of recommendable two-player games. :)

Ultra Vortek is worth having a second controller for. My wife and I also enjoy playing Zool 2 together.

Now here's a game that I don't care to keep in my collection. Single player, full screen is a facade. Only a small portion of the play field or distance drawn in relation to the background is viewable, which makes it a lot less of a simulation and more of a memorization game. Split screen is even worse, but probably the same with smaller characters is all. Just seems too squished, which is a shame. Otherwise, looks and plays alright for what it is - IMO.