IGNORED

Ultimate 1MB ROM Generator

AtariGeezer

Ultimate 1MB ROM Generator's ROM Description  

27 members have voted

1. 1. When entering a Description for a ROM, what is easier for you?

• 1) Enter a Description after a ROM is loaded
    • 2) Enter a Description of a ROM even if it isn't loaded first
  2. 2. If you selected #2 Above, would you prefer to have the program:

• A) Change the Description's Color to RED to Remind you to load a ROM for it's Slot
    • B) Leave the Description's Color as Black
    • C) I chose #1

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Bugs:

• When a U1MB ROM is loaded the program does not display individual ROM names, instead it shows the U1MB ROM file name for all ROM slots
  • When the user saves an individual ROM, the file is saved with it's actual name, and subsequent loads of the same ROM file shows its proper name on the slot
  • "Please Load Rom First before editing" message shows twice in a row most of the time..
  • Editing a ROM description after a U1MB ROM is loaded into the program does not work properly. Even though the cursor moves anywhere in the description field, the user can not add additional description without first changing something else in the existing description.
  • The program saves a U1MB Rom with missing descriptions
  • When a change is made (description or ROM) and exit is selected the program quits ignoring all changes made. A warning message is not displayed.

Suggestion:

I personally see no reason to error check the description fields until the user wants to save the U1MB Rom (Error conditions: a description is entered with no corresponding ROM loaded or a ROM is loaded without a description) that would keep it simple and clean with no need for the options under the Settings menu

Edited by atari8warez

Jay, setting box background to grey means to disable the control, not to literally set the color ;)

if i choose "set box color to grey" in settings menu i can actually edit the thing ;)

there is a function "graymenuitem" i was reffering to when saying about setting it to gray

LOL, okay... I was thinking you might have meant disable, but went with the literal meaning instead ;)

An easy fix... :)

Jay

Bugs:

• When a U1MB ROM is loaded the program does not display individual ROM names, instead it shows the U1MB ROM file name for all ROM slots
  • When the user saves an individual ROM, the file is saved with it's actual name, and subsequent loads of the same ROM file shows its proper name on the slot
  • "Please Load Rom First before editing" message shows twice in a row most of the time..
  • Editing a ROM description after a U1MB ROM is loaded into the program does not work properly. Even though the cursor moves anywhere in the description field, the user can not add additional description without first changing something else in the existing description.
  • When a change is made (description or ROM) and exit is selected the program quits ignoring all changes made. A warning message is not displayed.

Suggestion:

I personally see no reason to error check the description fields until the user wants to save the U1MB Rom (Error conditions: a description is entered with no corresponding ROM loaded or a ROM is loaded without a description) that would keep it simple and clean with no need for the options under the Settings menu

1) Not a Bug, It's telling you which file the ROM was loaded from.

2) Not a Bug, The "Default" file name is always shown to load a ROM, no matter what a user named it when saved last

3) Not a Bug, Maybe you are doing something to cause it, I only get the message once on either Win95 or WinXP.

4) Not a Bug, The Description field is padded in with spaces after your done editing or by switching to another Slot. you can highlight which text to edit afterwards.

5) Not a Bug, The Descriptions are saved in the Main Ultimate1MB.ROM or Bios ROM only.

6) Okay, I can add a "You have Entered Information, but haven't Saved..." type waring message for that...

Most people like options. That part will stay in...

Jay

Ok Jay now I understand. I can use my programmer for that purpose! ;)

One more question please. Where can i find the files for GUI-BIOS-RESERVED-PBI ??? :?

Oh.. now I see that in your previous post. Must load "ultimate1mb-v2.rom" first !!! :P

Edited by santosp

Bugs:

Suggestion:

2) Not a Bug, The "Default" file name is always shown to load a ROM, no matter what a user named it when saved last

3) Not a Bug, Maybe you are doing something to cause it, I only get the message once on either Win95 or WinXP.

4) Not a Bug, The Description field is padded in with spaces after your done editing or by switching to another Slot. you can highlight which text to edit afterwards.

5) Not a Bug, The Descriptions are saved in the Main Ultimate1MB.ROM or Bios ROM only.

6) Okay, I can add a "You have Entered Information, but haven't Saved..." type waring message for that...

Jay

1) ROM slots are supposed to show the individual file names, otherwise what's the reason to have them? You can show the loaded U1MB file name in the bar above the menu (Windows Convention)

2) This is really related to number 1 above

3) I use Windows 7 64bit, and it happens very frequently but not at all times, just play around with it and you'll see. "Fool proof" is what we professionals (i.e people who has a career in programming) call it the strength of the software, users can do anything and the software has to be able to gracefully handle it.

4) It is definitely an annoyance even if calling it a bug maybe a little too much for you. I should be able to append to the description without first erasing/changing it to fool the program into accepting my input

5) Yeah but if I erase the description on the screen and save the U1MB ROM it just accepts the blank description. It's a bug unless saving a slot without a description is OK.

One more thing, the GUI looks quite aged (reminds me the utilities written during Win 3.1 era), what IDE are you using, if any?

You can of course leave the options in but they are unnecessarly a reason for confusion.

Edited by atari8warez

To duplicate the number 3 bug try this:

- Load the program (without the U1MB ROM)

- Highlight the "Edit Me" text in one of the descriptions and type a character, a message box will pop-up to inform you that a ROM was not loaded, click OK and the message will pop-up again.

As for padding the description with spaces (if that's really needed), you should do it while saving the description to the file, not on the screen. When you move the description to the screen just unpad it (it's really one extra line of code if you know how to do it)

Edited by atari8warez

Jay

1) ROM slots are supposed to show the individual file names, otherwise what's the reason to have them? You can show the loaded U1MB file name in the bar above the menu (Windows Convention)

2) This is really related to number 1 above

Nope, maybe in your controlled life maybe, but in the real world one can load the main rom, then load a revised rom afterwards.

op

3) I use Windows 7 64bit, and it happens very frequently but not at all times, just play around with it and you'll see. "Fool proof" is what we professionals (i.e people who has a career in programming) call it the strength of the software, users can do anything and the software has to be able to gracefully handle it.

You do know about how to use the Compatibility Mode, Don't you? or are you that stupid?

You are far from being a professional, your personality disorders prove it...

4) It is definitely an annoyance even if calling it a bug maybe a little too much for you. I should be able to append to the description without first erasing/changing it to fool the program into accepting my input

If you're the only one it annoys, then that's okay by me :grin:

5) Yeah but if I erase the description on the screen and save the U1MB ROM it just accepts the blank description. It's a bug unless saving a slot without a description is OK.

Then don't erase it ;)

One more thing, the GUI looks quite aged (reminds me the utilities written during Win 3.1 era), what IDE are you using, if any?

You can of course leave the options in but they are unnecessarly a reason for confusion.

No one is forcing you to use it, you can always write your own...

Jay

P.S. Since you're just being obnoxious, any further posts from you on this topic will be ignored :-D :-D :-D

Here's another one I just found.

Try this:

- Load the program (without loading the U1MB ROM)

- Load a file to the OS slot (just select the BIOS file instead of the OS), the program loads the wrong image file just because it has the same size as the OS file.

- Try the same with BASIC and GAME slots, program loads the wrong files without complaint because file size is legit

You should really check the image files for proper type, comparing just sizes has a very limited success rate and a novice user can easily load a wrong file and probably flash the wrong information to U1MB

Oh by the way the garbage in the description fields is due to the wrong files being loaded into wrong slots

post-15627-0-16015200-1343862156_thumb.png

Edited by atari8warez

No one is forcing you to use it, you can always write your own...

Jay

P.S. Since you're just being obnoxious, any further posts from you on this topic will be ignored :-D :-D :-D

Being obnoxious!!!.. in my circles it's called TESTING and I am just testing it Jay and if i do find bugs reporting it to you is for the greater good of the community. In it's current form I would be very cautious using this software as there is a great risk of screwing up the flash (see my last bug report)

Edited by atari8warez

Two more (I guess):

- Load the program with a clean slate

- Load all slots from individual rom files

• BASIC ROM file does not bring the description into the program.
  • Click File/Save U1MB Rom option from the menu and an error message is displayed; "MAIN ROM not loaded yet"... now this may or may not be a bug, but I loaded every slot with necessary files, so which one am I missing? Or do i need to load the supplied "ultimate1mb-v2.rom" file first. If so why the program doesn't tell me that in advance. Does loading the MAIN ROM after loading indiividual Rom files overwrite my selections. If it does then I would say this is a bug too...

post-15627-0-28832700-1343865899_thumb.png

Ok, one question please. :) I burn just now my flash ram with Basic rev. C plus 3 games at the empty Basic slots, 4 games at the xegs slots, and exchange the diagnostics for BOSS-XL II OS. All look perfect, but how can I make the games on xegs slots to run?? :?

Edited by santosp

In it's current form I would be very cautious using this software as there is a great risk of screwing up the flash (see my last bug report)

Yes, but isn't so dificult after to burn again the stock one! ;)

Sure Santos you can do that as many times as necessary... so maybe i should stop testing it ;)

Ok, one question please. :) I burn just now my flash ram with Basic rev. C plus 3 games at the empty Basic slots, 4 games at the xegs slots, and exchange the diagnostics for BOSS-XL II OS. All look perfect, but how can I make the games on xegs slots to run?? :?

Is your U1MB installed in a XEGS? If not, then you will not be able to run those games in the XEGS slots :(

Jay

Edited by AtariGeezer

@atari8warez

No dont take like this. I mean cause things aren't so tragic if someone mess it somewhat. ;)

@Jay

Ok now I understand. I hope in the future Sebastian to find a way as to seize the rest of us the additional 32Kb of memory. Even if we need to make some modification. :grin:

Edited by santosp

Is your U1MB installed in a XEGS? If not, then you will not be able to run those games in the XEGS slots :(

Jay

But then how come I can run Missle Command even though it shows up under the XEGS slot?

I just select CAR1 for Basic Slot and Missle Command runs!!!.... What if I chose CAR2/CAR3/CAR4 for BASIC woudn't that run games loaded into XEGS slots CAR2/CAR3/CAR4

In fact right now Missle Command runs no matter what CAR i select as long as I don't select BASIC for Basic Slot. Kinda confusing!!...(maybe the Missle Command is the default game if others are not loaded into the ROM)

Edited by atari8warez

After some conversation with Sebastian, he revealed to me the secret about the XEGS slots. :thumbsup:

First must be closed the XEGS jumper on Ultimate board. Also one of the four OS must be from XEGS, specifically OS4. Then within Bios of Ultimate1MB just press SELECT key and after C for cold boot. The game appears!!!

The same when power machine on with SELECT down, and from SELF TEST mode with SELECT + RESET keys.

Thanks to Candle! :cool:

XEGS rom above

http://depositfiles....files/yjwm1wqqm

Edited by santosp

After some conversation with Sebastian, he revealed to me the secret about the XEGS slots. :thumbsup:

First must be closed the XEGS jumper on Ultimate board. Also one of the four OS must be from XEGS, specifically OS4. Then within Bios of Ultimate1MB just press SELECT key and after C for cold boot. The game appears!!!

The same when power machine on with SELECT down, and from SELF TEST mode with SELECT + RESET keys.

Thanks to Candle! :cool:

XEGS rom above

http://depositfiles....files/yjwm1wqqm

Thank you for the info Santos...

Here's the latest update:

Ultimate1Mb ROM Generator v2.zip

Changed the 3rd option in the Settings to Disable the Description Boxes when a ROM isn't loaded in it's Slot.

Settings are now read properly from the registry.

Added a Reminder when you Exit and the Descriptions have Changed.

Added a Reminder when you Exit and the Main ROM's contents have Changed.

Jay

Edited by AtariGeezer
  • Like 2