IGNORED

Ultimate 1MB ROM Generator

AtariGeezer

Ultimate 1MB ROM Generator's ROM Description  

27 members have voted

1. 1. When entering a Description for a ROM, what is easier for you?

• 1) Enter a Description after a ROM is loaded
    • 2) Enter a Description of a ROM even if it isn't loaded first
  2. 2. If you selected #2 Above, would you prefer to have the program:

• A) Change the Description's Color to RED to Remind you to load a ROM for it's Slot
    • B) Leave the Description's Color as Black
    • C) I chose #1

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Thanks for the summary! It really helps.

I found this on eBay, it supports the Xlinx XC9500XL series, but it doesn't say it has the proper software.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1209885628671?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=120988562867&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

How often would a U1MB need to be upgraded? I could be cheaper to send the U1MB's to someone who already has the hardware (and is willing to program :P)

So if your U1MB has the first generation code in the CPLD (which requires the Xilinx interface & JTAG cable to program), then this is what to do:

1) Load an existing Rev1, 512k U1MB ROM image.

2) Use a 256k or 320k SDX ROM image to update.

3) Do not load anything in to the GUI, BIOS, RSVD and PBI spaces.

4) You can load any 8k Basic, Application or Game ROM in to the 1st Basic Slot. (Slots 2 to 4 are for use in Rev2)

5) If you have an XEGS, you can load any 8k Game Rom in to the 2nd Basic Slot.

Where do I find an existing Rev1 U1MB ROM?

My G540 doesn't support the Amic A29 so I can't take it out.

I feeling like I'm the only one with these questions.

How did people update the first U1MB batch? Or did they just put it in a box and ordered the second run? :P

How did people update the first U1MB batch? Or did they just put it in a box and ordered the second run? :P

I also have 2 first run, U1mb units, I was just waiting for the files to be made available. :)

Robert

Thanks for the summary! It really helps.

I found this on eBay, it supports the Xlinx XC9500XL series, but it doesn't say it has the proper software.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1209885628671?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=120988562867&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

How often would a U1MB need to be upgraded? I could be cheaper to send the U1MB's to someone who already has the hardware (and is willing to program :P)

venom4728a and sloopy bought this version, plus it's $2 cheaper :)

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2804783350151?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=280478335015&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Myself and a couple others bought this LPT version:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1807171509201?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=180717150920&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

The software to program it is here:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.htm

Xilinx Standard Edition is almost 6gb or just download the Lab Tools, it's 1gb...

Anytime there is a firmware (CPLD) update for the Ultimate1MB, SIDE cart, Incognito or other upgrades, you'll be able to upgrade yours before others can, or you can help others upgrade theirs ;)

I'll post the v1 ROM soon with the next update of my Rom Generator as the signature used to test the validity of the ROM's is different in both ROM versions...

Some of the guys on the Incognito beta team were able to upgrade their v1 U1MB's since they just bought the programmers :)

I managed to speak with Sebastian briefly last night to give him a heads up on what we're doing (just in case he hadn't had time to read this), and I'll have some kind of preliminary web pages done this evening. He should probably host or distribute the JED file as he sees fit. I'll happily host Jay's ROM generator, the complete v1 and v2 ROMs, SDX build, PBI/BIOS ROMs, software tools, APT user manual, tech docs and Xilinx upgrade guide. Perhaps it's apparent from the long list why it took a little while to get to this stage. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

I have U1MB from second run.

Do I need change Xilinx firmware? I did not notice it clearly.

Candle will be able to answer that. I was under the impression the second batch need no Xilinx update, but I could be wrong.

And this firmware is changeable through programmer only?

Correct. The idea is that the end user never has to change it. However, the PBI functionality was a last-minute addition to the second firmware revision, and - as has been said before - should be considered a free bonus feature for owners of boards from the second run, and an optional upgrade for owners of boards from the first. To use U1MB according to its originally published design spec, one can leave well alone.

It's looking unlikely I'll have the ROMs and APT drivers uploaded this evening: it seems there are eleventh-hour calls for changes to the driver API, and these changes will affect all the APT drivers I've written... well, better we get this finalized now than never. :)

Ok, I've orderd the LPT version, although there were cheapers version.

But I couldnt take the risk of buying a wrong model :P

Hopefully they add a 10pin cable.

I'm glad everything will be updates soon. It's all going the right direction :D

Ok, I've orderd the LPT version, although there were cheapers version.

But I couldnt take the risk of buying a wrong model :P

Hopefully they add a 10pin cable.

I'm glad everything will be updates soon. It's all going the right direction :D

You'll need to make a cable for the LPT version, I ended up buying 2 cables (from china) and spliced them together:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1706485442131?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=170648544213&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1806627981921?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=180662798192&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

The programmer uses a 2x5 2.54mm pitch header and the U1MB (plus others) use a 2x5 2.0mm pitch header.

The 100 Random Tasks is set up as:

1 - VCC ---- 2 GND

3 - TCK ---- 4 GND

5 - TDO ---- 6 GND

7 - TDI ---- 8 GND

9 - TMS ---- 10 GND

JTAG

1 - VCC ---- 2 GND

3 - TCK ---- 4 TDO

5 - TDI ---- 6 TMS

7 - XXX ---- 8 XXX

9 - XXX ---- 10 XXX

[XXX] = not used

Pin#1 is at the top right if you look at it like (parts side):

9 7 5 3 1
------===------
|  o o o o o  |
|  o o o o o  |
---------------
 10 8 6 4 2

I managed to speak with Sebastian briefly last night to give him a heads up on what we're doing (just in case he hadn't had time to read this), and I'll have some kind of preliminary web pages done this evening. He should probably host or distribute the JED file as he sees fit. I'll happily host Jay's ROM generator, the complete v1 and v2 ROMs, SDX build, PBI/BIOS ROMs, software tools, APT user manual, tech docs and Xilinx upgrade guide. Perhaps it's apparent from the long list why it took a little while to get to this stage. :)

any update on this?

Can anyone upload the U1MB V1 rom so i can use the rom generator? I dont't want to wait for the xlinx programmer to arrive.

• 3 weeks later...

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2804783350151?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=280478335015&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1807171509201?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=180717150920&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

http://www.xilinx.co...nload/index.htm

Xilinx Standard Edition is almost 6gb or just download the Lab Tools, it's 1gb...

Anytime there is a firmware (CPLD) update for the Ultimate1MB, SIDE cart, Incognito or other upgrades, you'll be able to upgrade yours before others can, or you can help others upgrade theirs ;)

http://www.xilinx.co...nload/index.htm

I downloaded and installed the Lab Tools. Is a license required to update the firmware on a U1MB v1 ?

After waiting about a months for all the parts to arrive, I still didn't get the JTAG cable connector.

Candle did kindly point me into the right direction, but unfortunately the cost would be too high.

So, what I did instead was to solder wires directly to the U1MB, I connected that cable to the Parallel Programmer.

I download the LabTools (can be found under 14.1 on the Xlinx page mentioned above).

I started the ISE iMACT program.

Got some dialog boxes. Click on NO or Cancel for all of them.

Then clicked on the left on "Boundary scan"

Right clicked on the pane. And clicked on "Add xlinx device".

I looked for the V2 JED file and loaded it.

But here I am stuck.

Program, Verify and ReadBack all give errors.

I finally hooked-up the Atari together with the U1MB.

The Parallel program did lit up a red LED.

So that must be good.

I have no clue what to do next.

Any ideas?

Edited by Louis

In the proces of trying some stuff, I seem to have broken my U1MB...

I hooked-up the Atari with alle the cables connected. I forgot the wires to the Atari PCB, so I connected it.

After that I thought it was working.

I could make a ReadBack, but after Programming, the software gave a error-message and stopped.

Now the U1MB does nothing...

What now?