IGNORED

Atari 800 XL/XE OS

Tempest

Well I know you can go the opposite direction (An XL/XE with an 400/800 OS switch), so I wondered if this would be possible. Personally I love the design of my 800 and don't want to give it up (not to mention the thing's a tank!).

Tempest

I think that the main problem is that the newer chip design (as well as elimination of two of the controller ports) might not be possible to use with the older hardware. I have a feeling that this is not possible, otherwise we probably would have seen an OS cartridge produced for the 800 that could take advantage of the XL/XE's bankswitching and ramdisk functions.

Yeah I had a feeling that it couldn't be done because I couldn't find any articles about it on the net. I bet it actually could be done but would require alot of hardware hacking to make it work. Too bad, that would have been neat...

Speaking of hardware hacks, can you hack a 1200XL keyboard onto an 800XL? I thought I read somewhere that this was possible.

Tempest

Dunno offhand...but I think that it would be easier to swap the 1200XL OS out for the 800XL's (true, you'd still lack the 800XL's parallel port). The keyboard lights probably wouldn't function, though (since those are fed off the controller port).

Hmm... but could you hack a PBI port onto a 1200XL? I can't put my finger on it right now, but there's something else you'd be missing with this I'm sure of it (otherwise everyone would do it).

How about a 130XE motherboard hooked into an 800 case, extend the ports and it could be done - it would be marvelous, beyond my skill, but could it be done???

Well I suppose anything is possible (I mean a guy crammed a IBM into a 2600 case for God's sake). I think the totally different layout of the 130XE board would make doing this nearly impossible.

Tempest

Hmm... but could you hack a PBI port onto a 1200XL?  I can't put my finger on it right now, but there's something else you'd be missing with this I'm sure of it (otherwise everyone would do it).

I think "what's missing" is that you need to do a -little- fab to get the OS into the older machine...which is why you don't find hacked 1200XL's all over the place (that keyboard is buttah compared to the other X machines).

I remember seeing an auction on E-bay once for an 800 with a 130XE inside...I don't remember if it was strictly a 130 with the 800 case and keyboard, etc. or if it was both the 130 and 800 in there...

But, ANYTHING is possible, just depends on what you can do personally, what your willing to do and what it would cost. Personally, I want to get a 1200XL just 'cause they look so damned cool, I like the side cart port over top or rear, and the nice keyboard and function keys. I'll definately upgrade it memory-wise and put in what every better OS I can (XE, Warp) and I'd probably do that PBI interface too, maybe...although since I use APE anyway, I really don't know if I'd ever bother using the PBI anyway, I still have yet to use the XE's ECI&cart slot for anything. I was going to get a blackbox, even thinking about it recently, but with the use of all my PC's drives and periphrials through APE, is it really worth it? I can use APE with the 1200XL too.