IGNORED

Typhoon 2001

DecapX3

Wow, now that is an amazing find, Typhoon 2001 looks really cool ! It's got some visual elements from the Rez.

The animated point cloud in a separate layer is something jag could handle fine (just appropriately scaled down in density).

Those 3D particles before level starts, really add a lot of depth to the scene. This thing must be freaking awesome on big screen!

If we spent 1 vblank just for the point cloud and 1 vblank for the grid+enemies+effects, we'd still have 30 fps. One can't help but wonder how it would look like on jag then....

Carl Forhan should just grab the source code from the Atari ST version of this, and port it to the Jaguar.

You sure you're in right thread ? This is PC reimplementation.

Even if there was an ST source code of this, the visuals would be vastly downscaled and it couldn't remotely resemble jag's Tempest.

You sure you're in right thread ? This is PC reimplementation.

Even if there was an ST source code of this, the visuals would be vastly downscaled and it couldn't remotely resemble jag's Tempest.

It's a joke, don't take it literally.

Yeah, I only now read the other thread this joke is referring to.

Still, would be interesting to see, what kind of visuals can ST handle in this visual style. What's the visually-closest game to Tempest on ST ?

Gee, um, probably... lets see.. ummm TEMPEST.. maybe?

• Like 4

Yeah, I only now read the other thread this joke is referring to.

Still, would be interesting to see, what kind of visuals can ST handle in this visual style. What's the visually-closest game to Tempest on ST ?

Hahaha... I'm sorry, I'm being a jerk now, I can't help it. Haha.

No worries. Just looked it up on YT and ST port is purely line-based, with fixed camera. Quite crude, actually...

Yeah, the ST version of Tempest is shit. Lots of other nice looking ST games, though, but none I can think of that have anything approaching the style of visual flair that you're asking about.

• Like 1

Yeah, the ST version of Tempest is shit. Lots of other nice looking ST games, though, but none I can think of that have anything approaching the style of visual flair that you're asking about.

I've seen some mighty impressive point cloud demos on ST. Of course, largely precomputed, but for a game that does not matter it's not completely realtime (as it's just a visual fluff).

Of course, the framerate would go down, but with fixed camera on ST, the 30 or 20 fps should still be very playable. From YT it looks like Tempest is 60 fps on ST, I'm guessing ?

I've seen some mighty impressive point cloud demos on ST. Of course, largely precomputed, but for a game that does not matter it's not completely realtime (as it's just a visual fluff).

Of course, the framerate would go down, but with fixed camera on ST, the 30 or 20 fps should still be very playable. From YT it looks like Tempest is 60 fps on ST, I'm guessing ?

I'd port it, but... well :)

• Like 4

I wonder if anyone has ever experimented​ with the T2K sources.

- I'm not sure that would help much, considering how much effort it is to try read someone else's RISC assembler code. Just the unmodified copy/paste comments would wreak havoc

- You have to reproduce the dev environment of the developer, so it links properly

- You could spend whole weekend and barely get few significant changes. And since you don't have the whole component design diagram with all dependencies, there will inevitably be bugs that will reveal themselves in rare and hard-to-reproduce scenarios.

- Simply, the time effort required is absolutely not worth the end result, given a 3D scene like in Tempest takes realistically only one day to reproduce from scratch (it's just points and lines).

I took a short break from my terrain coding and I've played with it this weekend and got something (the side grids inspired by Typhoon2001) up&running on jag. Here's the video:

Unfortunately, between the MPG artifacts of the capture card and YouTube compression, the resulting video makes it hard to see the colorful point cloud, which adds greatly to the depth of the scene. I think I should record it via phone rather (as that'll remove the initial MPG artifacts)...

BTW, as it's moving really fast and smooth, I would consider this a prime candidate for high-res 3D on Jaguar. I think I'll try it in 700x240 next, although that's most probably a purely academic experiment, as who the hell would want to play yet-another-tempest clone on jag...