IGNORED

I'll risk going protector-less with my 3DS XL screen

I'm a big believer in protective screens for handhelds. My Palm Pilot had one back in the way, my original DS and DS Lite had them and today my iPod Touch has one as well.

But I am doing something crazy when I get the 3DS XL. I'm going naked! ..... errr .... I mean I won't be using a protective screen on it.

Why? Mainly because I'm lazy and can't be bothered buying them and applying them but also because I am looking at the list of games for 3DS that I'll be getting and very few require touching the lower screen.

Here's my list:

Street Fighter (yes I know it uses touch but it's one of the few I want that does)

Mario 3D Land

Pacman Galaga Dimensions

Ridge Racer

Starfox

Pilot Wings Resort

Bit Trip Saga

Project X Zone (assuming we get it outside Japan)

.... and that Tom Clancy game.

Oh and a few eShop games like Pushmo, Xevious, and Sakura Samurai

Am I nuts? Would you folks argue that I absolutely need one? I did notice my original DS screen benefitted from the protector but I just don't think 3DS games will be utilizing the lower screen as much as the original DS did.

Sounds good to me, for a few reasons. Mainly, that the screen cover on the system looks to be easily-replaceable anyways, so if it does get scuffed up, you can just swap it out. Also, I've gone without screen protectors with my original DS and DS Lite, and haven't noticed any scratches develop. You might put a protector on the touchscreen, but I noticed that it did interfere with touch input & removed it from my original DS.

Stop the presses! One guy on NeoGaf says the new XL also scratches the screen so I'm going to follow his advice and put protective screens on afterall.

Right.

Just found two lines of small scratches on my top XL screen that line up with the lower screen's bevel. Little circular scratches in two lines. Weren't there last week.

F--- YOU, NINTENDO. Seriously, if you're thinking of buying an XL, put some stickies on it to keep the screens separate or it could well scratch itself. Absolutely unforgivable for Nintendo to have not fixed this s----.

So, more info off Neogaf.

One guy mentions that the reason scratches occur is due to pressure which I can totally understand could happen. Even with spacers on the edge it wouldn't stop the odd bend or flex along the middle of the screen.

"It's because of pressure. Pressing the top screen onto the bottom screen causes it."

Looks like maybe I'll invest in a hard case for it like this one.

41MDMs6WmBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

agreed. i've had a DS, DSi XL, and the 3DS. no scratches from closing. just use common sense and don't rest anything on top, sit on it, or close violently (like when you get a game over).

It never ceases to amaze me when people do this very thing... with multiple items in their setups. :-o :? :lol:

I got an XL on launch day, and I'm convinced the people with "scratches" on their top screen are either being rough with the system, or theirs are defective.

There are two bumpers on the top of the top screen that prevent the two screens from making contact, and when I close the system, I can see a space between the two screens. Also, I've opened and closed mine tons of times, and I have no scratches at all on mine.

I've always had a protector cover on the bottom of my original DS. I'm pretty sure it came that way, once again, from someone on here that sold it to me (or we traded something...not sure now). The top screen I don't bother with as I'm usually not messing with it.

I got an XL on launch day, and I'm convinced the people with "scratches" on their top screen are either being rough with the system, or theirs are defective.

There are two bumpers on the top of the top screen that prevent the two screens from making contact, and when I close the system, I can see a space between the two screens. Also, I've opened and closed mine tons of times, and I have no scratches at all on mine.

make that two of us

I don't kow about the 3DSXL, but in the case of the original 3DS, it was the upper screen that would get scratched. Mine has a scratch along both sides about a third of an inch in, luckily I do have protectors o it.

But then, I would HOPE that Nintendo would have fixed that problem when they made an updated system.

Thing that gets me though, This was NEVER a problem before. The SP had a bezel around it to protect the screen, the DS/Lite/XL all had the same sized screen, so they never got scratched. It's just the 3DS. Those who don't have scratches, I'd hazard a guess that they don't take their system with them. Mines always in my pocket...I do assume the screen protector is made of softer plastic than the native screen is, but I'd hazard a guess, if I didn't have the screen protector, the actual screen would still get scratched.

Edited by Video