IGNORED

APF MP1000 power supply question

Blazing Lazers

Hello all! I acquired an APF MP1000 console at a yard sale a while back and was told that it still worked, but the seller couldn't find the power supply for it. I am now attempting to part with the system, but would like to finally find out if it actually works or not before doing so. Does anyone here have an appropriate power supply/AC adapter for the APF, or know what sort of off-the-shelf-at-Radio-Shack unit might work? Googling reveals that the system takes a Input: 120V AC 60 Hz 10WOutput: 7.5V 750mA supply, but I'd like to confirm that before risking a deep fry to the systems internals.

Are you sure a NES supply works with it? NES supplies AC current, not DC. Very few consoles can cope with AC. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

Edit: It looks like *some* replacement NES supplies are DC. Again, I wouldn't risk it if you aren't 100% sure of what you have.

Just take the specs of the APF supply to radio shack and they should be able to get you what you need. You can easily go over on amperage with no fear, but make sure to keep the voltage as close to 7.5v as you can get. I'd suspect that 9v is ok, but higher voltage will cause more heat and possible failures.

Edited by 98PaceCar

I have an APF M1000 (very similar to the MP1000). An NES power supply works great with it.

Thanks for the heads up- I'll look into that, as I do have a few NES cords lying around.

Are you sure a NES supply works with it? NES supplies AC current, not DC. Very few consoles can cope with AC. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

Edit: It looks like *some* replacement NES supplies are DC. Again, I wouldn't risk it if you aren't 100% sure of what you have.

Just take the specs of the APF supply to radio shack and they should be able to get you what you need. You can easily go over on amperage with no fear, but make sure to keep the voltage as close to 7.5v as you can get. I'd suspect that 9v is ok, but higher voltage will cause more heat and possible failures.

I'm going to the local Radio Shack this weekend, so I'll be able to share results very soon. The specific site I got the power info from was the excellent videogameconsolelibrary site you help run, and which has been a great source of help in the past as well.

If that's the case, would a Genesis Model 1 power supply work? You can run the NES off one of those, and IIRC it puts out DC.

My understanding is that a DC output won't hurt a console expecting to see AC, but that an AC output will trash a console expecting DC. Someone else who knows better should confirm that, though, as I'm no EE.

(I can say, though, that I've used a Genesis Model 1 PS to power a NES with no problems.)

Lazers - That adapter you bought should work (provided it has a connector that physically will fit into the jack on the MP1000). Set it to 7.5v

AN NES adapter woudl work too (if the connector fits)

Warning - Techy Talk ahead!:

I am not familiar to the MP1000, but I found a service manual for it. It does indeed originally use an adapter that spits out AC voltage. There is a bridge rectifier and a single 7805 regulator. So that supply from Radio Shack will work, and does not matter which polarity you apply to the adapter's tips.

As for the other point that was mentioned above me, consoles vary from one another, but for the most part, you can use a DC adapter for a console/device that originally requires AC, provided the voltage is close to the same, as well as the current output capabilites. There are a few exceptions however, and that is the consoles/devices that use doublers or similar setups that boost the AC higher then the original input. IN those cases, you would have to know what the highest DC voltage is used in the device, and have an adapter that spits out DC just a bit higher then that. Note though - this can stress components higher then usual (in the power supply section).

Now, spitting AC into a device expecting DC will either not work, or worse, burn up components. DC is strictly one polarity.direction, whilst AC reverses polarity over time (hence the 50/60hz statements). If the device is expecting DC, what will happen is 1/2 of the time the polarity will be correct, and the other 1/2, it will be backwards. Reverse polarity is similar to connecting a battery to something backwards. What determines if it will not work, or burn up, is the design of the device. (Which of course varies among devices). Devices with reverse polarity protection are less likely to burn up, unless the reverse protection blows open instead of absorbing the incorrect polarity voltage/current. If there is no reverse polarity protection, its likely the regulators will blow, or worse, chips and active components in the system itself.

• 1 month later...

Hey, wanted to update this. I found an original NES AC adapter and tried it, but the APF did not power on. Then a week or so later, a buddy of mine who I mentioned it to asked if the AC was broken. I hadn't even thought of that. So I ordered another NES original. AC adapter, and it worked!!! The APF powered up :) Thanks for the advice all! Now I need a cartridge to test with it...

• 3 years later...

Hey, wanted to update this. I found an original NES AC adapter and tried it, but the APF did not power on. Then a week or so later, a buddy of mine who I mentioned it to asked if the AC was broken. I hadn't even thought of that. So I ordered another NES original. AC adapter, and it worked!!! The APF powered up icon_smile.gif Thanks for the advice all! Now I need a cartridge to test with it...

Hey, Blazer! Cool thread, I just started one this week asking the same thing but when I found your thread today, boom - went and ordered an NES power adapter and hopefully next week I'll be APF gaming!