IGNORED

Atari Jaguar Repair

n5x

I picked up a dead jaguar that looks like it was the victim of the wrong power supply. I changed reg 1, a bad cap, and the chip next to the cap. I did manage to get the power light back on but there is no video or audio from the AV jacks. The RF out shows a black screen when connected. I was thinking of buying a replacement motherboard unless someone has an idea of what isnt working. I would like to get this board fixed.

There is another chip that needs to be replaced 90% of the time, this chip is for audio. This link leads to another thread here on AA that lists the chips and pictures: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/56717-i-toasted-a-jag-last-night/#entry693544

If you are still not getting video though, then you have a bad solder point on the chip you already replaced.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

There is another chip that needs to be replaced 90% of the time, this chip is for audio. This link leads to another thread here on AA that lists the chips and pictures: http://www.atariage....ht/#entry693544

If you are still not getting video though, then you have a bad solder point on the chip you already replaced.

I replaced everything on this list and the cart is installed. The red light comes on now but no luck. I tested the cart and power supply on my other Jaguar. I'd like to fix this but I'm leaning towards a new motherboard.

I've done this repair 3-4 times over the years. I've done it successfully each time, though the last time, a few months ago, I did have to recheck my solder points on the regulator chip, as I had the same exact problem, power on, but a black screen. Once I went over all solder points again, it worked fine.

• 1 year later...

I forgot to update this post. The Jaguar was fixed by changing the parts listed in the above thread. I did buy a hot air soldering station (that I should have gotten a long time ago) so yes the jaguar lives on :)

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

For a start that may depend on where you are as overseas shipping can be expensive, if you are in the USA then try contacting the.golden.ax (see his post above dated 20 Aug 2012)

I think he's been MIA for a while due to health issues. I was able to get in touch with him recently through his wife to get a three from one power supply for my Sega setup (they are no longer doing Jag-duo's because apparently they fry Skunk Boards) Check this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211934-jaguar-duopower-2-in-1-ac-adapter/?hl=+jag%20+duo%20+power

"Wolfpackmommy" is his wife or partner and she is the one to get in touch with right now regarding his services

Good luck, save that jag from the scrap heap!

Should have thought of this yesterday but if the.golden.ax is not an option you could try any local electronics repair outfit (i.e. Laptop or TV repairs) or ATY Computer (ST's/TT's/Falcons).

Although the Jaguar is not their speciality if they have experience at de-soldering/soldering surface mount components they should be able to replace the parts especially if you make it easy for them by telling them which parts and providing the replacements, no harm in asking.

Edited by Stephen Moss