IGNORED

Atari Flashback 4 Review

Right, the law is the law, whether one agrees with it or not. "Abandonware" and all those other concepts are just terms we in the classic computing and gaming communities use as justifications for our actions. Practically, we're usually right, literally, we're usually not.

• Like 3

Right, the law is the law, whether one agrees with it or not. "Abandonware" and all those other concepts are just terms we in the classic computing and gaming communities use as justifications for our actions. Practically, we're usually right, literally, we're usually not.

Exactly, I agree with all of your points, true indeed, thanks Bill, can you please respond to my reply about the games from page 2?

Also, are those dual paddles infrared as well and included with Atari Flashback 4s?

Where is that new part 2 review, at YouTube yet?

:)

Edited by TrekkiELO

I'm glad to hear the joysticks and paddles will be sold separately. I don't really want a SOAC when I could just buy another Jr and Harmony cart but the idea of buying tasty new sticks and paddles gets my juices going. :)

Bill, will you be reviewing these wired controllers in a different video or will they be included in part 2?

It only comes with the two infrared joysticks. The only difference between the infrared joysticks and the wired ones is that the player one infrared joystick mirrors the console controls, so you can go back to the menu and choose different games without getting up. The wired paddles and wired joystick is sold separately. There's really nothing to review, though I'll be showing them in part two. The wired joysticks are exactly the same as the ones included with the Flashback 3, meaning excellent, but just a bit different than the original Atari joysticks, with a looser shaft. The paddles feel exactly the same.

I'll respond about all this and the games in part two. I would have already filmed part two of this and the Sega stuff, but unfortunately our central air broke while we were on vacation and won't be fixed until Tuesday. I really don't want to film sweating up a storm, even if it's from my basement. I'll try to film and post by the end of the week, but I may not get to it until this weekend. Sorry.

• Like 2

Bill, do you have a ballpark MSRP on the wired joysticks and paddles?

Also, and I don't know if this has been mentioned or if its a stupid question, but are the paddles each in a set of two like the originals?

Indeed they are, I believe Bill made mention of it earlier in the thread.

Yes, the paddles are just like the originals, including two paddles to one connector. I'm afraid I don't have list prices for those, yet, though I'll ask now. The two Sega units are $40 each list, and I believe the Atari Flashback 4 will be around that price. I would assume the controllers will be at most half that price, but again, I'll ask now.

• Like 1

OK, I just got good info from AtGames. I'll try to post a video with all the info in the next few days. If not, I'll just post what I know here. It's all around the pricing that we suspected, though.

Thanks Bill, have they told you an actual release date and what stores, like Walgreens, Rite-Aid, Toys R Us or Wal-Mart, just so we know when to start looking for Atari Flashback 4s locally?

OK, I just got good info from AtGames. I'll try to post a video with all the info in the next few days. If not, I'll just post what I know here. It's all around the pricing that we suspected, though.

Thanks Bill, have they told you an actual release date and what stores, like Walgreens, Rite-Aid, Toys R Us or Wal-Mart, just so we know when to start looking for Atari Flashback 4s locally?

Good question, and I should have mentioned this myself but Bill, being in Canada, I had a hard time finding previous versions of the flashback in retail. Do you know or can you find out if these will be readily available in Canada?

• Like 2

No release date, but definitely by November. If I get an exact date, I'll let you know. Retailers should include Amazon, Urban Outfitters, Hastings, 7th Avenue, Bed Bath & Beyond, the AtGames Website, Wal-Mart, Target, etc. I'm not sure if every retailer will carry every product, though. Most likely most will only have the console, and Amazon and the AtGames Website will have the extra controllers. I guess we'll see.

• Like 1

No release date, but definitely by November. If I get an exact date, I'll let you know. Retailers should include Amazon, Urban Outfitters, Hastings, 7th Avenue, Bed Bath & Beyond, the AtGames Website, Wal-Mart, Target, etc. I'm not sure if every retailer will carry every product, though. Most likely most will only have the console, and Amazon and the AtGames Website will have the extra controllers. I guess we'll see.

Well the Atari Flashback 3 was first at Rite-Aid, then Walgreens, Dollar General and Toys R Us late last year, but not in Wal-Mart until 2012.

Edited by TrekkiELO

Since Taito has significant involvement, it would have been nice to see a completed Elevator Action

Phoenix sure would have been nice as well. The icing on the cake would have been the Taito arcade games/2600 homebrews, Crazy Balloon and Colony 7, after coming to an agreement with the programmer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure glad to see some kind of licensing deal was done. Just would have liked to see them make the most of it.

Just did a testing with a room full of retro gamers at a Labor Day party yesterday. I'll be writing up a full review based on their responses (I took myself out of the review process because of my background with the Flasbhack 2 and 2+ and just let them state their unbiased and uncoached opinions.) The consensus was the controllers are horrible. Very cheap feeling with most being afraid it would shatter if dropped. And the control and response felt nothing like the originals (they were unanimous in dislike for the looser shaft and "clicky" feeling of the sticks.)

As for the console, just about everyone pointed out emulation problems in the games they played from missing elements to wrong colors to the sound being too high pitched to speed being off. They were also universally disapointed in the version of Space Invaders not being the original and obviously not even just a "new" 2600 based one.

• Like 3

If you want the real thing, then there's certainly no substitute for the real thing and never will be. Not everyone wants to deal with that (pluses and minuses there), though, so I think something like one of the Flashbacks is a fine option. As for the Flashback 4, I still stand by my statement that the joysticks are very good even though they don't mimic the stiffness of the originals, and the emulation is perfectly acceptable. No, it's not as good as the 2 or 2+, but it's definitely the best out of the rest. We also have to remember that this is not targeted to the hardcore Atari fan. For them, again, nothing but the real thing will do. For the rest of the population, there are other considerations, including price/value/convenience.

• Like 1

I'm not disagreeing, Stargunner, but you have to consider the economics of the endeavor, and the potential issues with licensing when you start to offer those extra features. Frankly, if you're targeting the mainstream market, cheap and simple rules the day. That market is not going to bother with an original system and/or any mods to that.

Well the Atari Flashback 3 was first at Rite-Aid, then Walgreens, Dollar General and Toys R Us late last year, but not in Wal-Mart until 2012.

I just looked on Amazon and they are accepting preorders for $59.99 and claim it wil be released November 13, 2012. (That probably means it will show up on eBay for $99.99 Buy It Now on Nov 14th.)

Thanks Bill, just watched the review. Great job.

I will admit though that I am on the fence. I've always liked the Flashback, or perhaps its more accurate to say that I like the "idea" of the flashback - great for the average person looking to relive their youth and play some simple, easy to play games. As a long time collector and Atari fan, I don't see much for me personally, as somone who has access to the real thing, and as others have mentioned, with a harmony cart and a real 2600, its the best option.

I'm not bashing the system as it looks like a quality product but for $50 (maybe higher in Canada?) I don't know that I could justify it. I may be tempted to buy one, were I to come across one here but I'm not completely sold on it yet.